Roadie: The Misunderstood World of a Bike Racer

Roadie: The Misunderstood World of a Bike Racer

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Veteran race announcer and long-time cycling enthusiast Jamie Smith sets out to explain the sport he loves and the roadies who live for it in this lighthearted treatise on bike racing. Finally, a book to explain those people who roll out for a ride dressed in technicolored Lycra at the crack of dawn on Saturday, and return at sundown with a glow of satisfaction and even st...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Velo Press

Michael
The book seems to have two audiences - mostly it is directed at "friends of cycling road racers" so that they understand their "roadie" better; the second audience is aspiring road racers. I felt somewhat left out since I am in neither group - I'm a cyclist who happens to have developed some slight interest in cycle races and wanted to know a bit more. Still I found it a reasonably entertaining read - the author's style is engaging enough and I'm interested in the subject.

Topics covered include...more
Larry Gagnon
I enjoyed Jamie Smith's writing style and personality as he presents the world of bike (as in bicycle) racers. I especially like Jef Mallet's accompanying artwork. The combination makes "Roadie" a fun read and provides a nice overview of the life of those who race bikes. For the cycling enthusiast, there is much in the book that you will think, "yea, I know that" so if you are trying to gain more knowledge, I don't think this is the book you are looking for, however, if you want some nice langua...more
Janet Lynch
On this rainy Sunday afternoon, five months after I began this book, I finally finished it, having read about ten books in between. While it contained good information, it was easy to put down. I'd like to read it again, it were half the length. The author goes on long after his point has been made, through analogy, cliche, and I think, jokes, much to the enjoyment of himself, and maybe some other readers, but not me. Definitely he's passionate about the sport and the illustrations are cute.
Mike
This book would have been handy back when I raced.Funny and fairly simple explanations of the hows and whys of racing.Meant for non racers to understand why the hell you would spend five hours a day,every day,riding rain or shine.
Mark Zadroga
Meh. I doubt any non-cyclist wants this much info. If you really want a feel for road racing track down Tim Krabbe's "The Rider". What it lacks in technical detail it makes up for in Krabbe's beautiful prose...
Denise
On p. 157, Jamie states "Have I ever seen someone cheat during a straight-line sprint event? Only once, but that is a story we can skip."

OK, Jamie, inquiring minds want to know that story! Was it you?
Alex Ghio
Easy reading. A brief explanation of the cycling world, especially in America. I was looking for more tactics in regard to bike racing.
Robert
A good intro into the world of road cycling. Given my developing interest in this, it was a fun read on what I'm getting myself into.
Eric
Humorous and light. Enjoyed reading about being a roadie and getting more serious about bike racing.
Eric
This is a favorite read of mine. A must for anyone who doesn't understand the cyclists in their lives.
David Porter
Explains the life of the bike racer to those new to the sport. An interesting and entertaining read.
Brenda
Mar 24, 2009 Brenda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Interesting. I did learn a little bit about bike racing but had figured most of it out already.
Evan Williams
Evan Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Ao
Ao added it
Dec 01, 2013
Emmamaaranen
Emmamaaranen is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2013