Start by marking “Emlyn's Moon” as Want to Read:
Emlyn's Moon

Emlyn's Moon (Snow Spider Trilogy #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  1,364 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Young magician Gywn and his friend Nia have been warned to stay away from Emlyn Llewelyn, the strange boy who claims his mother lives on the moon. And yet, a mysterious magic continues to draw them to him. But why?
It's up to Gwyn and Nia to solve the mystery, with the help of Arianwen, the Snow Spider. Readers will race along with Gwyn in this fantastic magical advent
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Emlyn's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emlyn's Moon

Miriam
I thought I had only read the first book as a kid but it turns out I read this one, too. It fell into that awkward valley where as soon as I read a bit it was familiar, but I couldn't really remember the entire book (as far as what else happened) but it was familiar enough that I felt bored reading it again... I guess that's an indicator, though -- good books are good the second time, too. I don't think I loved anything I read by Nimmo. Fine, but nothing special. I may track down the 3rd and see ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
For my review of the overall series, see my series review on The Page Dreamer: https://thepagedreamer.wordpress.com/...

Thoughts on this one:

This was mostly from the POV of Nia, a girl minorly mentioned in the first book. I think I wasn’t expecting that. This one actually reminded me a lot of the Julia Redfern books by Eleanor Cameron (just add a little magic). About a very young, very reckless/hotheaded girl who gets into scrapes, though her continued lying got to me a little, especially since h
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
This book is utterly enchanting! I liked that instead of being told from Gwyn's POV, as the first book was, this one is told from Nia's perspective. Nia comes from a large family, where she feels inadequate as the middle child. But when she is called upon to reunite a broken family, she has to search deep within herself for the strength and talent that she's always possessed. Nia helps Emlyn search for his lost mother, and with Gwyn's magical help, they encounter adventure and mystery beyond the ...more
Pam Baddeley
May 26, 2016 Pam Baddeley rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children
This is the second in the trilogy which began with 'The Snow Spider', and is set 2 years after the first book, although there's a continuity error towards the end where Gwyn, the protagonist of the first volume, is described as 10 years old - as the first book began with his 9th birthday I expected him to be 11 years old.

Gwyn, the magician in training, takes more of a subsidiary role this time, as the centre stage is occupied by Nia, only a walk-on part in book 1. She is the middle child of the
Chris Campbell
It's a brave and flawed book, this. Read my review of "The Snow Spider" and you'll know that I've always been a fan of this series – but I'll confess that I remembered very little about this, the second book in the trilogy, and also the third.

Why is it brave? Well; perhaps the bravest thing is that there is a complete shift of protagonist: Gwyn Griffiths remains in the book, of course, but is a very secondary character. In his place is Nia Lloyd, only briefly referred to in the first book. She i
Candy Boisvert
Jun 19, 2008 Candy Boisvert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
Publisher: Egmont
How many pages: 150 pgs
How long it took me to read: 1 day
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: going on a search looking for something to read after Harry Potter.

This book was purchased at: Chapter's
This book is: for anybody who has an imagination
Other books by this author: Snow spider, The chestnut soldier, Midnight for Charlie Bone, The time Twister, The blue boa, The castle of mirrors, The renaldi ring, Milo
Amanda
Jul 25, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 This was definitely a little better than the previous book in the series. Maybe it's growing on me, or maybe it's because of the girl main character. I don't know. Either way, I enjoyed it more. It has a different points of view; instead of just Gywn, readers go inside the minds of both Nia and Gywn. NImmo introduces new characters and interesting plot twists. One of those is Emlyn, a strange boy who lives in the old chapel with his dad. Emlyn is an unusual boy, one who everyone avoids, one ...more
Fantasy Literature
The Magician Trilogy by Jenny Nimmo are some of the best children's fantasy novels out there — and so inevitably they are virtually unknown. Set in the mountains of Wales, the books chronicle the experiences of Gwyn Griffith, a young boy magician dealing with the gift and burden of inheriting magical powers from his legendary ancestors. Before immediate comparisons are made with that other boy-wizard, rest assured that The Snow Spider was published several years before Harry Potter hit the scene ...more
Peach Berry
Dec 23, 2014 Peach Berry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing more magical than reliving an old favourite from your childhood. having picked up an old copy of Emlyn's Moon from a charity shop, I couldn't resist getting lost in the magical Snow Spider trilogy once more.

The trilogy, in my opinion, sets the bar for fantastic writing, magical storytelling and twists and turns that fascinate both young and old readers. I was so pleased that none of its magic had been lost with age, the suspense and mystery behind the main protagonists and the f
Cliff
Jun 25, 2011 Cliff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, in a pleasant twist, the second book in the trilogy is told from the point of view of Nia Lloyd, rather than from Gwyn. This book had a more naive and childlike innocence to it in comparison. Perhaps it was due to the fact that Nia is just 9 years old at this point, but as with most novels of this sort, she is willing to overlook the misguided good intentions of those older than her.

I like the fact that we have indirectly learned that Gwyn has a better understanding of the events that transp
Ily
Jun 27, 2009 Ily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book in the series and it too was intriguing at first. It built the story, but didn't really take it anywhere. Again the climax was not very well written. I also felt like there were missing details from between books in the series. And that some of the details from book to book clashed. I do want to read the third book though. Especially since I want to read it before I let Isaac read it.

And I do enjoy the writers' creativity so I am going to start Jenny Nimmo's Charlie Bon
Lindsey
Since I accidently skipped over the first book, it took me a couple chapters to get caught up in the story with its strange Welsh names, places and all the members of the Lloyd family. The plot moved fast and seemed to skim over some sections that I felt could have been developed more. The mystery surrounding Emlyn was the past of his family along with Gyn's was interesting and left me wanting to read the first book so I knew more about these characters.

Favorite quote: "But we fought and that's
Laura Gilfillan
Jun 27, 2014 Laura Gilfillan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emlyn and his father live in the chapel, where something terrible happened once. Now Emlyn is shunned, and Nia isn't supposed to visit there, although of course she does. She does a lot of things she's not supposed to do. I liked Nia, although I might have been pulling my hair out if she'd been my child. Yet, the whole time I was wishing that her family had paid more attention to her, although it is understandable how easy it is to get lost in the shuffle, and the Lloyd family is quite a large s ...more
Liza
OH MY WELSH FEELS

I liked this more than The Snow Spider - while I related a lot to Gwyn I was ALL ABOUT NIA, she's great. It was nice to see Gwyn and Nain again. The Emlyn's family stuff was a bit weird, tbh I don't like his dad much and I think if art is *that* much of a priority for you you prob shouldn't have kids. Nia's art was uh-may-zing. I hope we get to see her again in the next book, she is a very good egg.
Katie
Sep 02, 2009 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this as much as "The Snow Spider" but it was a fun, short read. The second book in the Magician Trilogy further develops the scope of Gwyn's powers and hints at deeper connections to the magical ice world "up there." Once again Gwyn goes hunting for a missing person and ends up with more questions than he started with.
Tyler
Mar 21, 2008 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm not entirely sure if this book was as confusing as I thought it was or if I was distracted most of the time while I was listening to it. However, I can state that it is interesting that the narrative switched to a relatively minor character from the first book. Frankly though, it lacks some of the magic from the first book.
Jenny
We listened to this book on tape, and the reader has this wonderful accent, sort of scottish or irish. I have to try not to talk like that all day after I listen.

These books have a different kind of fantasy. I don't know what it is about this author, but they are not like the usual ones. Maybe because they're foreign?

Whatever it is, I like it.
Emily
Jul 01, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written nearly a decade before Harry Potter appeared on the scene, the Magician Trilogy remains fresh and interesting, rich with Welsh history and complex, appealing characters. Nimmo fits tremendous stories into small books. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys flat-out great stories. This is my favourite of the trilogy.
Pablo
Jul 07, 2013 Pablo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book i read is called Emlyn's moon. It is about a boy who is a magician he meets a girl named Emlyn. She sees things every where like spiders and spider webs. I like this book because it is about a boy who does magic. His wand is light blue and his clothing are gray and navy blue. This is all about Emlyn's Moon
Cynthia Egbert
Nov 20, 2014 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-and-read
Tis strange when one feels that an author has taken all of the names from one's pedigree chart to populate a book. But it is strange in a very comforting way and there is a message for me here. Not everyone will love these books as much as I do but I am smitten. If you have an appreciation for Susan Cooper's Grey King series, you might really like this trilogy as well.
Bettie☯
Ellen
Nov 20, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I think the first book was better than this one, my son and I still enjoyed it very much. The first book had the mystery of the magical five gifts, but watching Nia find her own uniqueness through a fabric collage was also special. I often thought of my mother who constructed beautiful quilts out of what looked like just scraps in the beginning.
Kristin R
May 06, 2009 Kristin R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv, audio
I really enjoyed this second in trilogy. Some of the same characters, but focuses on different ones from the first book. A nice bit of suspense in this one, I couldn't wait to see how it all wrapped up.
Advaiy
Nov 30, 2016 Advaiy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book was really confusing and sometimes dark.For instance,there is no real mention of the protagonist's real power.And the story seemed to be narrated around the protagonist's friend rather than the protagonist himself.
Bella
May 08, 2008 Bella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really interesting. It's about a boy named Gwyn (who's a magician)and his friend (a girl named Nia)
and his cousin Emlyn (and neither of them know it)and they all live in wales. Gwyn and Nia are forbidden to go where he lives.
Justin S
Dec 17, 2009 Justin S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
this book was not a vary good book because i did not get what they were saying half the time. it was vary confiuing and it did not make a lot of senes. there was no point to this book. i do not recamend reading it because you will get to the frist chaper and probely quit.
Sandra
May 17, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I thought this was a little stronger than the first, I liked the shift in characters and the slight hint of the arts being magics of their own. The end, even more than the first, was somewhat abrupt and vague.
Shauna
Aug 04, 2008 Shauna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a strange little series. Not quite sure what to make of this story--the focus is shifted from Gwyn, the magician boy, to a friend and a cousin, and there is less real magic and more about mental illness and dysfunctional families.
jennifer
Apr 10, 2007 jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got right into this second book of the trilogy....I whipped through it in a few hours. Good read....enough strangeness and magic to keep me satisfied. I liked that they took the main focus to another family and had the main characters from the first book as secondary characters.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Young Adult book, Wales, Magic [s] 6 48 Apr 06, 2014 03:06PM
  • The Bronze Pen
  • Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left (Zyrgon, #1)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks (An Accidental Adventure, #1)
  • Gauge (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #2)
  • The Circle Of Gold (The Book Of Time #3)
  • Goggle-Eyes
  • Wild West Witches
  • Eldest (Part B): Inheritance, Book II
  • Peter Pan #6 : Destins
  • Ghosthunters and the Muddy Monster of Doom! (Ghosthunters, #4)
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • Thirteen Ways to Sink a Sub
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • The Monster (Troubletwisters, #2)
  • Highland Promise (Sisters by Choice, #2)
  • Marianne Dreams (The Magic Drawing Pencil, #1)
  • Moondial
Jenny Nimmo was born in Windsor, Berkshire, England and educated at boarding schools in Kent and Surrey from the age of six until the age of sixteen, when she ran away from school to become a drama student/assistant stage manager with Theater South East. She graduated and acted in repertory theater in various towns and cities: Eastbourne, Tunbridge Wells, Brighton, Hastings, and Bexhill.

She left
More about Jenny Nimmo...

Snow Spider Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Snow Spider (Snow Spider Trilogy, #1)
  • The Chestnut Soldier (Snow Spider,  #3)