Start by marking “The God File” as Want to Read:
The God File

The God File

In this dark and honest novel, Gabriel Black finds himself sentenced to prison for a murder he did not commit. As he questions God's existence in one of the darkest corners of the world, Gabriel creates a file where he stores any evidence of the divine--no matter how unseemly.
Published August 27th 2003 by MacAdam/Cage Publishing (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The God File, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God File

Kat
Nov 11, 2012 Kat rated it liked it
Gabriel Black is in prison for life because he voluntarily took the rap for Janie, a woman he was infatuated with. While there he reads a book by a man who felt the remission of his cancer proved the existence of God. "I thought it must be pretty fuckin' easy to see signs of God's existence when you're a rich doctor, with a wonderful wife and children, cured of cancer, sitting around in your country house with your fat dog on the floor by your feet and writing stories about pretty visions. I tho ...more
Bookish
Sep 25, 2008 Bookish rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2008
Jazzy D
Sep 22, 2010 Jazzy D rated it really liked it
It was raw and full of so much emotion, and very inspiring because I agree with the general idea of the book: God is everywhere. I wouldn't mind re-reading this book. A part in particular stuck with me:

“There should be a way to bring all of our pieces back together at the very end. God should allow us to see ourselves whole, just for a moment, when we’ve gotten as far as we’re going to go.”

Basically, I loved it.
Vivian
Sep 05, 2009 Vivian rated it really liked it
listened to this one on Audio CD. Another interesting turn from this very talented writer. As always, the author has written a very thought provoking book that is very moving. Take a trip with Gabriel Black in his spiritual quest to find proof of God's existence while incarcerated for a crime that he didn't commit. This book will stay with you for a long time after you have read it.
Your Excellency
Very impressive - I had thought this was going to be one of those 'convict gets religion in the pen' stories, but it's much, much more than that. An interesting mixture of prison story + close examination of how God appears in what do (and don't do). I plan on re-reading this short book to add more depth to my understanding.
Mark Wang
started strong with a great premise, but i think it ultimately failed to deliver. i guess maybe my expectations where too high.
-----
I need to re-read this book. After some conversations with other folks, I must have missed some pretty critical elements of the book.

Kristin
Mar 29, 2008 Kristin rated it it was amazing
I started to read this book and after a few chapters decided that a friend with cancer needed it more than I did. What I did read was phenomenal and she has reported that it was great as well. Quite an inspiration apparently....now if only I could have it back!!
John Ekeh
Mar 20, 2013 John Ekeh rated it really liked it
I think this book is well-thoughtful, emotional and inspirational based on one incarcerated for a crime that he did not commit and questioning of God's existence. Overall; God is everywhere!! If you will.
J. Bill
May 24, 2010 J. Bill rated it it was amazing
An amazing little book. So well written and thoughtful. Where is God in the dark places of our lives.

Lent immediately to my buddy Marcy
Jun 10, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get very far. Not because the writing or story was necessarily bad. I just couldn't take it. If you want my copy, let me know.
Angie
May 30, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
My favorite among the Hollon books thus far. A short read that packs a philosophical punch!
Michelle
A man in prison creates a file containing evidence that God does or does not exist.
Stunning.
Sara Richter
Nov 14, 2009 Sara Richter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book. I don't like giving away anything about this book its just that good
Elise
Aug 07, 2011 Elise rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic and I would highly recommend it
Sarabeth
Aug 14, 2012 Sarabeth rated it liked it
Fresh perspective. Not preachy. Interesting insight.
Nigel
Mar 06, 2013 Nigel rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit-reading
I quit three chapters in. It was too contrived.
Eleanor
Jul 14, 2008 Eleanor rated it did not like it
I detested this book.
Sam
Sam added it
Sep 17, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Keriann Davey
Keriann Davey marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Al
Al marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Daria Kshenskaya
Daria Kshenskaya marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Frank Turner Hollon, a talented author, has works that vary from suspenseful novels, to short stories, to children’s books. Frank Hollon was born on July 24th, 1963 in Huntsville, Alabama. Although born in Alabama, Hollon soon became a Louisiana native when he moved to Slidell, Louisiana, or as he says “the ugliest town in America,” when he was 5 years old. Hollon attended Slidell High School and ...more
More about Frank Turner Hollon...