Start by marking “Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories” as Want to Read:
Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories

Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Dim the lights. Lock the doors. Pull down the shades -- and BEWARE! It's time to read R.L. Stine's favorite scary stories, plus two new tales of his own!R.L. Stine has gathered a selection of all things scary. Short stories, tales old and new, comics, and poems. It's a spine-tingling collection of work by dozens of writers and artists who are famous for hair-raising fun.

Di
Published August 6th 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Beware!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beware!

Caitlin
A fun and (at times) creepy collection of author R.L. Stine's favorite scary stories. This short story compilation was overall enjoyable, and a few of the entries were downright spooky! I think R.L. Stine did a fantastic job of selecting a variety of different genres and formats for these horror stories: some are ghostly tales, some are classic suspense stories, some are science-fiction oriented, and some are just campy fun. Stine also includes poems, a comic strip, and a selection from a longer ...more
Mitchell
Since this book was a collection of creepy short stories, don't expect to get majorly attached to any of the characters. Some of the stories are poems and some are more in depth; ones like The Judges House really do pull you into the story. (Though these are more creepy than scary, they are good for their reading level). The authors in here didn't use a ton of pulling in difficult words because of its reading level though. Over all this was a very good read and I thoroughly enjoyed all of the qu ...more
Elizabeth
This is a very nice collection of spooky stories. Some are darker, some are slightly humorous, and some are downright odd. Here are a few classic scary stories alongside some of R. L. Stine's original work. Here are vignettes, short stories, poems, and even a comic book. The only part I didn't personally care for was Stine's rewriting of Stoker's "The Judge's House." Sure, I get that Stine was writing for children, and I know Stoker's wording can be difficult at times, but the dense writing of " ...more
Sara
A good selection of horror stories I enjoyed reading them even if they were designed for teenagers :)
Lorene Evans
In case anyone was confused, STINE WRITES FOR CHILDREN! Even at 8, Fear Street wasn't that bad. I always thought Goosebumps was stupid, but I read Fear Street like a maniac. If you read this as a child, you had the best book of your life in your hands. I must have checked it out from the library at least 5 times. I used it for a book report in the fifth grade. Clearly, it's not scary for adults. I loved this book, and it's definitely great for late elementary age.
Matt Mazenauer
Don't let R.L. Stine scare you from this. There are a lot of great stories here, from little undiscovered treasures to Ray Bradbury, Bram Stoker, William Sleator, Roald Dahl, and even Shel Silverstein. Definately worth picking up.
Christine Verstraete
I have the hardcover. Thrilled to find it a flea market! Very nice book!
Cheryl
Alisa read a funny, scary story from this collection at Halloween time.
Aaron
Popular author R.L. Stine, makes a collection of his favorite horror stories. These stories inspired him to become a writer. They are all creepy classic tales that he has enjoyed over the years. He is showing why he has become a writer and why he loves these tales.

I also like horror books like R.L. Stine. They have inspired him to become a writer. He must love the idea of spooky tales like me. I love hearing very scary things because I am a fan of old horror films and books. So me and him both
John Garrigan
Age Recommendation: 9+

This is a fun selection of scary short stories, poems, and excerpts from longer works, chosen by Goosebumps author RL Stine. Their all interesting stories, and are very handsomely illustrated, each in their own appropriate styles. My favorite part of the book is that Stine wrote introductions to each story where he talks about why he chose it, and what it means to him.
Franklyn Kornn
Collection of scary stories that would be great for a classroom library. these stories are very good. This would be a great book to read aloud to students around October.
Sara
This was a hilarious book full of creeps suspense and laugh out loud conclusion. I recommend this book to those who love scary stories.
Kathy
Fun with a touch of creepy. This made for an entertaining Halloween read.
Autmn
Apr 13, 2015 Autmn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
good
Jennifer McGee
Stine has put together a fantastic collection of creepy tales. Like every good anthology should, it reminded me of and awakened me to the joy of authors I need to read more of in the future.

This book came out when I was a senior in high school, so at the time I would have been too cool to read anything I read as a CHILD. I'm happy to say I am no longer that lame!

Read it! If it's your thing, you will love it.
Jessica Timmons
Definitely a walk though memory lane, when I was younger and addicted to the goosebump novels. If your a parent and reading this book skip the "Snow tiger" section because it will bother you.
Amanda Pagano
This is a huge collection of scary stories from different authors that R. L. Stine picked himself. Always nice to take out and read when you want to get a minor scare. I actually met R. L. Stine when I bought this book and he's a really nice guy, but a little weird. He picks a good batch of stories for this book.
Danielle
This book is a collection of all the favorite scary stories by R.L. Stine. I enjoyed some of the short stories in this collection. Some of my favorites were "The Black Ferris" by Ray Bradbury and "The Judge's House" by Bram Stoker. I would recommend this book for children between the ages of 9 to 13 year olds.
Heather
Such an amazing collection of stories from an author I've loved the books of since I was a child. Scary, yet not so scary that someone who was slightly more than afraid of the dark as a child could read without a few nightmares per night. To this day R. L. Stine is one of my favorite authors.
Molly
This book was used for a two-month unit in my student teaching experience. The kids unanimously loved it (aside from one who couldn't due to religious convictions). There's something for everyone in here. Whether you enjoy genuinely scary, creepy-scary, or silly-scary, this book has you covered.
Amari
I think that Beware is a good book to read because it talks about a carinval and a little boy that comes around every month.When the carinval comes a little boy comes and when he's comes he always go to the house across the street.I would say that the book is interesting and recommend it.
Daddy Girl
I liked it a little but it was interesting. I like the part when these boy told the old lady that she had a grown man in her house.Tthat wanted to steel her money ,but she did't listen to them. She told them to GET OUT NOW AND DON'T COME BACK!!!!!!!!!.
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
I read this years ago, yet I still remember some of the stories. Being a huge fan of R.L. Stine, I had to know what stories scared him.

I'm not afraid to admit that his stories still scare me to this day.
Kathy
Not every one of these stories is a winner, but there are enough good ones to make this collection worthwhile. "The Black Ferris" by Ray Bradbury is my favorite of the lot.
Raequan
alot of stories dat u dont want read at nite if u one of those people dat get scared off of books which isnt me. i mean its pnly a book!
Janet
What a fun read!!! was going to do a story a day for Halloween but got caught up in the fun of chills and thrills.
Tamara the Librarian
Great scary selections-- a few would be perfect read alouds for older students.
Morgan
  • More Bones
  • How I Survived Being a Girl
  • Molly and the Movie Star
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • The Christmas Rat

R. L. Stine b
More about R.L. Stine...
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps, #1) Night of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps, #7) Say Cheese and Die! (Goosebumps, #4) The Haunted Mask (Goosebumps, #11) One Day at Horrorland (Goosebumps, #16)