Start by marking “Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress

Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  75 reviews
###############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 7/10/1985 Pages: 126 Reading Level: Age 9 and Up
Published July 10th 1985 by Eerdmans Books For Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Journey

Ray
Ok, that title sounds like a cheesy Rex Reed movie review. But this book really did grab me. The illustrations are generously sized and very detailed. No matter how many times you have read Pilgrim's Progress you will be challenged to see things in a new light. And your kids will be drawn into the timeless story.

In a day when Western culture has lost its Biblical morrings and no longer sees life as a pilgrimage, a jounrey to Heaven, this book draws us out. It pulls us from the search for inner...more
Blackest Soul Ever
Mar 22, 2008 Blackest Soul Ever rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: "christians" who've forgotten what the basis of their faith is supposed to be
Recommended to Blackest by: mom
i'd read/had this book read to me by my mother when i was young. i'm not entirely sure at what specific age. i recently ordered my own copy and found the story applicable as more of a universal truth than just one that applies only to those of the christian faith. i ordered it more for the illustrations than the writings. i'm definitely glad to have a copy, both for sentimental reasons and for the wisdom contained in it. the story is simply told, but the struggles that christian endures can be c...more
Ann
This is a beautiful story of Pilgrim's Progress made readable for children. The illustrations are absolutely amazing. If children are small, I'd read it with them as the pictures and the accompanying story may possibly frighten them !! For all of us who have (or have had) little boys who are looking for daring adventure books, this is a GEM !!
Marianne
Just read this with my boys. They loved the book and asked every day if we could read another chapter. The pictures are fantastic and help tell the story. My 8 yr old wants to read the "bigger version". This is a great intro to Pilgrim's Progress!
Shanna Gonzalez
This is an outstanding abridged and illustrated version of the classic 17th-century novel, Pilgrim’s Progress. In the story Christian, having been roused from his comfortable life in the City of Destruction by a book given to him that foretells the judgment to come, leaves everything and sets out on a quest for the Celestial City. On this journey he encounters many dangers until he finally passes through the River of Death to be greeted by the King. The enemies and trials along his journey are a...more
Anfinwen
This retelling of "Pilgrim's Progress," originally by Paul Bunyan, is perfect for introducing young readers to Christian and his journey from the City of Destruction to the Celestial City. Christian's adventures, trials, and failures are fancifully illustrated (though a few could give young readers nightmares).
Taylor
I liked this book because there were dragons and giants and dummies and traps. It was a long book and a really good book. I learned that it is a hard road that you must travel in your journey to get to heaven. My favorite part was the dragon. I enjoyed that Christian fought hard and won the good fight.
R.L.
Oct 09, 2014 R.L. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
One of the most accessible renderings of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress yet created. The story is a treasure, full of golden nuggets of wisdom applicable to anyone in the world. The pictures are great and bring the story alive for children.

I highly recommend this book for all ages.
Elizabeth Licitra
I never read Pilgrim's Progress, but I enjoyed this updated version with beautiful illustrations. I'm not sure how much the kids comprehended the metaphors, but I enjoyed reflecting on the daily readings as we did a chapter a day.
Marlo
This is a beautiful edition of Pilgrim's Progress for children. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it to my kiddos (ages 5, 12, 14). The illustrations are very well-done and add to the story. Great read for all ages!
Stephanie
My 10-year-old son devoured this book! What a wonderful way to introduce your kids to Pilgrim's Progress! It's almost like a graphic novel, while still using the original words (abridged) of John Bunyan. LOVE IT!
Scott
This is perhaps my favorite children's book and may be the book the has had the greatest influence on my taste in artwork and design. On a purely literary level, it's an adaptation of Pilgrim's Progress, though the unique aspect of this version is that it uses selections from the original rather than modernizing the language. So, it's really more of an abridgement. But what really stands out in this book is the artwork. Each page of text, which really does not amount to more than a paragraph, ha...more
Nevada Libert
did not understand it i think that the story was really dry. mite understand it when i am older.
Kate Hooper
This is book I will read many more times with my kids!!
Karen
Read for the 2nd time and we all loved it again.
Penny
My boys and I loved this modern version of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. We were scheduled to read it through next week, but just couldn't stop reading. We took turns reading the dialogue in various voices. My youngest sketched his own versions of the extraordinary illustrations. The book may appear like a children's book, but the content stays true to Bunyan's original story with its depth and symbolism of spiritual journey.
Pewterbreath
Dec 05, 2007 Pewterbreath rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: oh just about anyone
I read this book in upper elementary school, then immediately went on and read the original. I was fascinated with this story---I never had read anything before where abstractions were personified (Hope, Charity, Faith, Love). Little did I know that this is one of the oldest literary tricks, and that the original Greek Gods may have started in this very way. The pictures in this book are georgeous.
Karin Breidenthal
This is a family favorite. When my boys were 5 and 7, living in Korea, we devoured this book in one day, and over the years they've gone back to reread this. My oldest son just finished the unabridged version for school reading. My daughter who is younger than my sons, has also enjoyed it. The binding on our copy is falling apart. Highly recommend this for any age, but especially kids!
Julie Silander
This beautifully illustrated book tells the story of Pilgrim's Progress. Although we read it as a family, I'm tempted to go back and read again more slowly. Each chapter is packed with potent truths... almost too much to read and process in one sitting. This is one of those books that is worth the purchase, to be read and re-read through the years.
Betsy
A terrific tool for making The Pilgrim's Progress come alive for children. Abridging the story while using the original language, filling each page with full color, intense images--this is no "sweet, easy, bedtime story. Instead, it's a big adventure, a dangerous journey, and offers kids and their parents a gripping way to get to know the original story.
David
The boys gobbled this up. They loved it and it was a huge blessing to me to read it to them. The pictures are a bit grotesque but it was just fascinating to them. I even cried when Christian arrived at the Celestial City, I was just so filled with thankfulness. We will re-read this as a family MANY times.
Evelyn
Excellent! My kids, ranging in ages from 3-7, loved this book. I haven't read the entire original, but enough of it to say that they did a great job adapting it. They kept the style and message in tact. I really enjoyed reading this book to my kids and it's prompted me to give the original another try.
Ryan
My oldest boys thoroughly enjoyed this read. Still sounds like Bunyan to me. The pictures are fabulous and even terrifying at times. Ezra told his mom today that if he could change his name he would take "Christian" instead, so consider him inspired. They will be shoving this book in daddy's lap again.
Arielle
A timeless classic and wonderful condensed version of Pilgrims Progress. Written more for children probably, but I think this book would be fascinating for any age! The illustrations are beautiful and the writing is well done and easy to understand. I will be keeping this around to read to my children. :)
Barb G
We started reading this at bedtime and ended up staying up way too late because neither one of us wanted to put it down. We finally stopped at Chapter 7, and finished it the second we got home from school the next day. Amazing book with beautiful illustrations that we will read again and again.
Nathan
A good children's version of a classic book. The illustrations were large and very well done. They left a lot of the old English phrases and could have done more to make the language intelligible for today's children. At several points, I had to interpret words for my kids.
Cbarrett
Some words are a bit outdated, but that is the only negative I can think of with this book; the story and the illustrations are magnificent. Taylor loves this book. If you want a children's version of the story of Pilgrim's Progress, this one is excellent.
Katheryn
Beautiful illustrations help to make this wonderful depiction of the Christian journey come to life. This is a great way to introduce Pilgrims Progress to your family and a great keepsake for your home. It was inspiring and encouraging on so many levels.
Anita
Jan 11, 2008 Anita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
A great pictoral book for the coffee table or for Bible study. The story of Pilgrim's Progress is told in beautiful pictures and text from the original words of John Bunyan. I have used the pictures to retell the story to my grandson.
Terri Lynn
As an Atheist, I know that the myths about Jesus were borrowed entirely from much older Mediterranean mythology. Still, I found this to be a pretty book covering some of the themes of Christian mythology in an interesting way.
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
  • The Hidden Hand: Or, Capitola the Madcap
  • Jotham's Journey: A Storybook for Advent
  • Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls
  • Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, Volume 2: The Middle Ages: From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance
  • Trial and Triumph