Start by marking “The Cyclist's Training Bible” as Want to Read:
The Cyclist's Training Bible

The Cyclist's Training Bible

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The Cyclist’s Training Bible is designed to help amateurs create a training plan and refine the skills needed to succeed in the sport. Divided into five parts, the book covers commitment and common sense, general concepts, training with a purpose, designing a yearlong plan, and practical strategies for reinforcing training. Dozens of photos, charts, tables and worksheets a ...more
Published March 25th 2003 by VeloPress (first published October 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Cyclist's Training Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cyclist's Training Bible

Dave Summers
This is it. The complete guide to become a world-class cyclist, if you want it bad enough.
Eddie
Probably won't be coming back to this one anytime soon. I was looking for something to help me set specific goals for the season. There's lots of good general ideas: set goals, work on weaknesses, take your recovery as seriously as your training, train off the bike, diet matters as much as time on the bike, improve skills to improve performance. But for such a thick book there are very few specific ideas for how to go about doing any of this. Carmichael's paperbacks, now tainted by the Armstrong ...more
Kerry
I've just gotten into cycling in a serious way and have been reading tons of books. This is the one that helped everything gel and enabled me to create a training plan.
Nickel
If you are interested in a road cycling training program, this is a good book to start off with. It provides a nice run down of the setting up of a season program and the periodization that occurs within. I have seen complaints about the book being overly technical but I think with a little patience, it is more than worth the extra time you might take to re-read a few sections. There is a nice breakdown of workouts and templates provided.

It is guided toward someone with at least 2 years of expe
Steven
This was an interesting book, and has a lot of good stuff in it. Joe Friel is just a little bit over the top, even for a book written for serious cyclists. The whole purpose of being alive seems to be so we can ride bikes fast in bike races. I love cycling, but this was a little too much for me.
Bernie
I thought it was a well rounded, informative book. I thought so much of it that I am using it as a guidebook to structure my riding for 2013. I'll be 52 years old and in better shape than a pretty much in shape 51.
James
Jan 08, 2009 James is currently reading it
Joe Friel is very knowledgeable and has trained many athletes at diverse levels. A great reference guide for beginners. Right now I am using this as a guide as to how to train for the coming year.
Erik
Aug 08, 2007 Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cyclists, Triathletes
Here is Mr. Friel's manual on cycling. Just as with his other books, it is in-depth, scientific and long. But it is proven and will lead to better cycling. A must-read for avid cyclists.
Taylor George
Do you want to learn how to write training plans. This is your book.

Noteable: Tells you how many hours of riding you should be doing based on your Category.
Darko Doko
Ok, now I know what needs to be done, but will I follow it?..only time will tell :-)
David Porter
Extremely useful to a beginning cyclist like me. I enjoy the scientific approach to training that the book presents.
Caleb
Well organized and thorough. If there's a better book on this topic, I'd be at a loss to point to it.
Katherine
great book for the aviad cyclist but diffiantly written with road racers in mind. a little to advance for me
Clayton Cornell
If you're into endurance training, Joe Friel is the author - also wrote the triathlete's training bible.
Kathy
Great to use when you're an over-trainer (like me!). Helping me set up a Periodization workout! :)
Christian
Superb book!

But there's so much information, so much to try out and so little time.
Samo
don't overtrain (like running 2.5x as far as your longest day this year.) oop.
Lisa
This is only for hard-core cyclists. I found it way too over the top for me.
Nov 27, 2007 Sarah added it
Shelves: bike-stuff
siricat gave me this book on a list of good books to read
Matt
Excellent book, but geared more towards racing.
Colin Harman
Jul 29, 2012 Colin Harman is currently reading it
Shelves: cycling, learning
So far, quite insightful.
Ross
for obsessive cyclists only
Adam
Oct 09, 2007 Adam rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pro cyclists
Way to technical for me.
Brian
Mar 01, 2008 Brian is currently reading it
Recommends it for: competitive Cyclists
Awesome, man I studied this book for months. I got smarter, but sadly not any less-lazy. So I'm still slow, but hopefully, a better off kind of slow.
The gist of it is this: Don't over train.
I always thought 'the harder the better', but after taking a 6 month breather following nationals, I'm reconsidering my training style. I wish I would have read this book last year, so maybe I could have raced til' September, but nay.
The Bible is filled with info. It's kinda like a text book, you can't rea
Tracy
Tracy is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2014
Cathy M.
Cathy M. is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • The Time-Crunched Cyclist: Fit, Fast, and Powerful in 6 Hours a Week
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes
  • The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills, and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • Lore of Running
  • Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180
  • The Body Sculpting Bible for Women: The Way to Physical Perfection
  • Every Woman's Guide to Cycling: Everything You Need to Know, From Buying Your First Bike toWinning Your First Race
  • The Rider
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Running Anatomy
  • A Dog in a Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium
The Triathlete's Training Bible Your First Triathlon Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons Total Heart Rate Training: Customize and Maximize Your Workout Using a Heart Rate Monitor Your Best Triathlon