Java in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))

Java in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  18 reviews
With more than 700,000 copies sold to date, "Java in

a Nutshell

from O'Reilly is clearly the favorite resource amongst the legion of

developers and programmers using Java technology. And now, with the

release of the 5.0 version of Java, O'Reilly has given the book that

defined the "in a Nutshell" category another impressive tune-up.

In this latest revision, readers will fi

Published March 1st 2005 by O'Reilly Media (first published March 1996)

Rob
I know what you're thinking... "Why did you read the 4th edition in 2010? It only covers up to Java 1.4 - and it was published 8 years ago." My answer? "It was what my library had. And it covered what I needed to learn."

I suppose I should have known better, considering the O'Reilly "Nutshell" format. A couple hundred pages of "nutshell" overview material to digest some high-level concepts -- but you're wading through generic code samples. Then several hundred more pages of what is basically an i...more
Nick Black
It's hard to meaningfully evaluate a book about Java 1.1 in 2008. This book was certainly at my side throughout CS 1502 (Introduction to Programming), and I imagine newer editions are similarly strong. Then again, there's really no need for this book, given the great Sun documentation.
Jack Repenning
Like all the O'Reilly Nutshell books, this is clear, helpful, and human. It's not a take-you-by-the-hand tutorial, but it's tutorial enough if you've already mastered a language or two, and it'll be well worth keeping on your shelf after you're trained and effective.
Jacob
The first third of the book is a pleasantly terse primer on the language and some of the more common platform features, including a section on the features that were new to Java 5. The rest is an API reference which mainly serves to keep the book heavy and expensive.
Spencer
The inclusion of the reference in the final section is idiotic. That reference is more easily found online and can be kept up to date easily.

I can find no problems with the rest. It does exactly what a nutshell book should do.
Knute Snortum
A good mid-level overview of the Java language. I haven't read the summaries on the core libraries yet, but that would be the only reason to read the reference area. The rest you can get, more updated, off the web.
Tom
Good reference but I don't use it so much because most of the time it is more convenient to use the Java API reference on the net.
Yuki
Sep 04, 2007 Yuki rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: learn more java
this was a text to my first java class, I don't think it's the best book for beginners... it also was not my style of book... but helpful.
Alistair Warner
Just one of those standard references that I can't really do without. I find myself comning back to it time and time again.
Fatma Hassan
i learnt java from this book , fifth edition..covers main aspects cleverly , i strongly recommend it for beginners
Nivas
Good book for someone looking for details on Java programming methods. Used as an additional textbook.
Joe Martin
Apr 17, 2010 Joe Martin marked it as reference  ·  review of another edition
Java in a Nutshell (The Java Series) by David Flanagan (1997)
Shawn
Pretty helpful, but it's been a long time since I programmed.
Christian Pedersen
Too much reference documentation occupying most of the book
Otis Chandler
How I learned Java - my first language after college.
Nancy
still reading
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Courtney Ginsberg
Courtney Ginsberg marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Debi
Debi added it
Jul 14, 2014
Tom
Tom added it
Jul 08, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • Programming Perl
  • Perl Cookbook, Second Edition
  • Learning Perl
  • Core Java 2, Volume I--Fundamentals (Core Series)
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • DNS and BIND
  • TCP/IP Network Administration
  • Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • Python in a Nutshell, Second Edition (In a Nutshell)
  • Linux in a Nutshell
  • Java: How to Program
  • The  C Programming Language
  • Google Hacks: Tips & Tools for Finding and Using the World's Information
  • Art of Computer Programming, Volume 2: Seminumerical Algorithms
  • Mastering Regular Expressions

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
JavaScript: The Definitive Guide The Ruby Programming Language JavaScript Pocket Reference jQuery Pocket Reference Java Examples in a Nutshell: A Companion Volume to Java in a Nutshell