A Snug Life Somewhere
read excerpt* *Different edition

A Snug Life Somewhere

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A Snug Life Somewhere is about Penny Joe Copper, daughter of a roustabout shingle weaver, who is caught up in a 1916 union tragedy known as the Everett Massacre. Her brother Horace is killed, as is the cousin of a radical organizer, Gabe. When her love affair with Marcel, a music student seven years her junior, is thwarted, she is pulled into Gabeas campaign to avenge the...more
Published December 18th 2006 by Publish America

Sandie
Penny Joe Cooper grew up in Washington during the early 1900's. Her father was part of union politics there, as the Seattle and Everett cities were early union strongholds. When Penny is in her early twenties, he is sent to prison on manslaughter charges when a fire set during a union protest turned deadly. Penny's only brother, Horace, also gets caught up in union politics and is killed in what is known as the Everett Massacre.

Penny is left adrift to find her way in the world. She is in love wi...more
Sharon Chance
I really enjoy books that teach me something that I didn't know, and author Jan Shapin's "A Snug Life Somewhere" did just that.

In this fascinating historical fiction Shapin tells the story of one young woman's struggle to find her identity as well as a little love in her life and is set against the background the country's most intriguing and violent era - Pre World War I and the time when unions were beginning to rise up in the United States.

Told through the voice of Peggy Joe Copper, this no...more
Priscilla
My brother died on November 5, 1916. This is the first sentence of Jan Shapin’s A Snug Life Somewhere. It’s straight to the point, brutally honest, and dropped a bombshell.

Sometimes you come across a book that blows you away and you need several minutes to put your feelings into words. You then wonder whether your review adequately quantify the brilliance of the book. A Snug Life Somewhere did just that.

The relationship between Penny Joe Copper and Marcel is scandalous; it’s complicated with a t...more
kim
I picked up this book because I really like the cover. I was interested in the story because I have an ancestor who is said to have been killed during a labor organizing event in Chicago about the same era as this. So learning more about the motivations and events of this time leading up to WWI appealed to me.

I did feel like a learned a lot about this period, which is one of the things I look for when I read historical fiction. I’d never heard of the Everett Massacre specifically, or at least no...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Opening in 1916, this rich novel follows the life of Penny Joe Copper, a young woman from Everett, WA. Born into a union family of shingle weavers, Penny Joe's life is dominated by the labor movement when first her father, and then her brother, become heroes of the cause. She's swept into the movement herself by accident and the machinations of Gabe Rabinowitz, a ruthless organizer, and finds herself going from being a photo op to revolutionary, almost without being aware of it. But as she grows...more
Janebcolby
An ok book. Enjoyed history of labor movement and the machinations involved but felt theme was repetitive,
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
♥ Sandi
♥ Sandi marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
ByTheFire
ByTheFire marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
KOMET
KOMET marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Tânia
Tânia marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
George
George marked it as to-read
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Casey Chapman
Casey Chapman marked it as to-read
Lori Goldstein
Lori Goldstein marked it as to-read
Elizabeth Lee
Elizabeth Lee marked it as to-read
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Ray Hyde
Ray Hyde marked it as to-read
Mae
Mae marked it as to-read
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Ahnika Hendrickson
Ahnika Hendrickson marked it as to-read
Tobin Kaestner
Tobin Kaestner marked it as to-read
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Judy Lessard
Judy Lessard marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland #1)
  • Oleanna
  • The Ambitious Madame Bonaparte
  • The Kept Girl
  • The Siren of Paris
  • The Anatomy Lesson
  • Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play (A Jazz Age Mystery #1)
  • The Study of Murder (Muirteach MacPhee Mystery)
  • The Prisoner of the Riviera (Francis Bacon, #2)
  • Pigs Can't Swim: A Memoir
  • Inheritance (Southern Son: The Saga of Doc Holliday, #1)
Jan Shapin is the author of two novels as well as several plays and screenplays. She has attended Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, Sewanee Writers' Conference, The Film and Television Workshop as well as various other writing programs. She is a member of the Cape Cod Writers' Center. You can reach her at www.janshapin.com or through her publisher, Write Words. Inc.
More about Jan Shapin...