Start by marking “The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving

The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving lasted three whole days. Ann McGovern's simple text introduces children to the struggles of the Pilgrims during their first year at Plymouth Colony and the events leading to the historic occasion we celebrate today - THANKSGIVING.
Published October 1st 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published November 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving

A beautifully illustrated and age appropriate retelling of the famous Thanksgiving story.

Ages 5-11

This book isn't just about the three day long First Thanksgiving celebration, though that is chronicled nicely; It is also about the struggles the pilgrims encountered along their journey to the new world. In an age appropriate manner, this tale briefly shares with children the hardships experienced by these first settlers and the triumph of their success. The story isn't told in a very suspenseful
Leah Sidell
The Pilgrims First Thanksgiving is a great book to introduce children to the struggles of the Pilgrims during their first year at Plymouth Colony and the events leading up to the historic holiday we celebrate every year, Thanksgiving. When its gets close to Thanksgiving students can do a fun literacy activities by writing a letter to the pilgrims about the hard times they went through. Or students can write about what they have learned about Thanksgiving back in the historic days and compare it ...more
Zahava Davis
Personal Reaction: Beautiful illustrations throughout the book! I loved the simplistic, yet realness of the text for younger students.
Read Aloud- This would be an excellent book to start off the Thanksgiving season with younger elementary students. There is a a nice amount of toned-down reality in the book, which puts it at an appropriate level of understanding for younger kids.
Independent Reading- I would assign this book with a collection of other books to a student who is doing a pro
The Pilgrim's First Thanksgiving tells the story of the arrival of the Pilgrims to the new world. It explains the hardships and promises encountered by the Pilgrims. This is a good book to introduce young readers to the arrival of Europeans to the New World. This book would be great for a read aloud for kindergarten to third grade. The illustrations are detailed and colorful, providing a great opportunity for students to engage with the images, either through think-pair-share, or whole class dis ...more
Erma Talamante
A good account about the first Thanksgiving, carefully balancing fact and story in a delicate blend that does not feel rushed or unlikely at any point. The story progresses quick enough that children don't feel bored or bogged down in details, and does not feel at any time like a history book. A good account for young children who are curious about those first few Pilgrims to Plymouth, or as a holiday tale to read before tucking into the turkey, just as a reminder of how much we have to be thank ...more
Laura Verret
In my review of …If you Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620, I referenced my family’s collection of ‘pilgrim books’ that we read every year when I was a child. The Pilgrim’s First Thanksgiving was my favorite book in that collection. I read it a lot. Because of that, I was super happy to find my own copy of it at a recent book sale.

Since all of you already know the story of the Pilgrims, there isn’t anything for me to say about the story told in The Pilgrims’ First Thanksgiving. But I will state a f
This version of the Mayflower and Thanksgiving stories focus' on concrete details of the Pilgrims experience. The cramped quarters on the Mayflower, sparse food, uncomfortable sleeping arrangements, lack of ability to care for basic hygiene, hazardous weather and sickness give children evidences of the audacious endeavor the pilgrims undertook.

Additional chapters cover the challenges of the Winter, the hope of the Spring, the joy of Summer and Thanksgiving of the Fall. The text provides concret
So it was Thanksgiving last week and we read this book. The illustrations were nice and added to the text. It was written very clearly and was simple without speaking down to the child. It covered the basic facts nicely.

One of my 8-year-olds commented to his father later that night that he 'was glad he wasn't a Pilgrim'. When asked why he and the 4-year-old very ably expressed why and brought up many examples from the book.

While my 8-yr-old did enjoy it, it's not the kind of in-depth book I'd l
Brian Strand
This book is the closet to the historical part of thanksgiving without getting to hard for the kids to understand. It talked about the pilgrims ride over on the Mayflower, and where they landed. It talked about their houses and where they built them, what they planted and who helped them. Most of all it talked about the first thanksgiving and how it was a harvest celebration.
Holly Chapman
This is a good book to use around Thanksgiving time. Although it is relatively wordy, the content of it is good. This book would probably be used in a 4th-6th grade classroom because their attention span is longer than a younger student. The book is also accurate historically.
Ashley Allen
This book gives the students an idea of what the first Thanksgiving was like. I would use this book before Thanksgiving. I would compare the first Thanksgiving to the Thanksgiving we celebrate today.
"Shannon 1988." I don't consider myself who necessarily needed bells and whistles to get me interested in a book, but I'll admit that picture books with only one color left me pretty unimpressed.
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a2, ar-3
RL 3.30

AR Quiz No. 134578 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.4 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Rima Halig
Nice story about the the fist Thanksgiving between the Pilgrims and Native Americans. The students were able to see how it all started.
This is a good typical Thanksgiving book. This is a scholastic book I would buy to have on the shelf.
Easy intro to the holiday for young-uns, simple vocabulary. Recommended.
Nov 28, 2010 Abida added it
Recommends it for: Friends
Good Book Plz read it
Nguyễn đông
Nguyễn đông is currently reading it
Nguyễn đông
Nguyễn đông marked it as to-read
Jacki added it
Nov 23, 2015
Cameron marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Carmen marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Roger Hayes
Roger Hayes marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Jessica Bower Gomez
Jessica Bower Gomez marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Holly marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Angie  Moore
Angie Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • The Pledge of Allegiance
  • The Thanksgiving Story
  • A Turkey for Thanksgiving
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden