Start by marking “The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving

The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving lasted three whole days. Ann McGovern's simple text introduces children to the struggles of the Pilgrims during their first year at Plymouth Colony and the events leading to the historic occasion we celebrate today - THANKSGIVING.
Published October 1st 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published November 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving

Lstirl
A beautifully illustrated and age appropriate retelling of the famous Thanksgiving story.

Ages 5-11

This book isn't just about the three day long First Thanksgiving celebration, though that is chronicled nicely; It is also about the struggles the pilgrims encountered along their journey to the new world. In an age appropriate manner, this tale briefly shares with children the hardships experienced by these first settlers and the triumph of their success. The story isn't told in a very suspenseful
Leah Sidell
The Pilgrims First Thanksgiving is a great book to introduce children to the struggles of the Pilgrims during their first year at Plymouth Colony and the events leading up to the historic holiday we celebrate every year, Thanksgiving. When its gets close to Thanksgiving students can do a fun literacy activities by writing a letter to the pilgrims about the hard times they went through. Or students can write about what they have learned about Thanksgiving back in the historic days and compare it ...more
In my review of …If you Sailed on the Mayflower in 1620, I referenced my family’s collection of ‘pilgrim books’ that we read every year when I was a child. The Pilgrim’s First Thanksgiving was my favorite book in that collection. I read it a lot. Because of that, I was super happy to find my own copy of it at a recent book sale.

Since all of you already know the story of the Pilgrims, there isn’t anything for me to say about the story told in The Pilgrims’ First Thanksgiving. But I will state a f
Ebookwormy
This version of the Mayflower and Thanksgiving stories focus' on concrete details of the Pilgrims experience. The cramped quarters on the Mayflower, sparse food, uncomfortable sleeping arrangements, lack of ability to care for basic hygiene, hazardous weather and sickness give children evidences of the audacious endeavor the pilgrims undertook.

Additional chapters cover the challenges of the Winter, the hope of the Spring, the joy of Summer and Thanksgiving of the Fall. The text provides concret
Heather
So it was Thanksgiving last week and we read this book. The illustrations were nice and added to the text. It was written very clearly and was simple without speaking down to the child. It covered the basic facts nicely.

One of my 8-year-olds commented to his father later that night that he 'was glad he wasn't a Pilgrim'. When asked why he and the 4-year-old very ably expressed why and brought up many examples from the book.

While my 8-yr-old did enjoy it, it's not the kind of in-depth book I'd l
Brian Strand
This book is the closet to the historical part of thanksgiving without getting to hard for the kids to understand. It talked about the pilgrims ride over on the Mayflower, and where they landed. It talked about their houses and where they built them, what they planted and who helped them. Most of all it talked about the first thanksgiving and how it was a harvest celebration.
Holly Chapman
This is a good book to use around Thanksgiving time. Although it is relatively wordy, the content of it is good. This book would probably be used in a 4th-6th grade classroom because their attention span is longer than a younger student. The book is also accurate historically.
Ashley Allen
This book gives the students an idea of what the first Thanksgiving was like. I would use this book before Thanksgiving. I would compare the first Thanksgiving to the Thanksgiving we celebrate today.
Shannon
"Shannon 1988." I don't consider myself who necessarily needed bells and whistles to get me interested in a book, but I'll admit that picture books with only one color left me pretty unimpressed.
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a2, ar-3
RL 3.30

AR Quiz No. 134578 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.4 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Rima Halig
Nice story about the the fist Thanksgiving between the Pilgrims and Native Americans. The students were able to see how it all started.
Teri
This is a good typical Thanksgiving book. This is a scholastic book I would buy to have on the shelf.
Leila
Easy intro to the holiday for young-uns, simple vocabulary. Recommended.
Abida
Nov 28, 2010 Abida added it
Recommends it for: Friends
Good Book Plz read it
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Nashla Rodriguez
Nashla Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Rebecca Curtis-guglielmi
Rebecca Curtis-guglielmi marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Ashleynewell1gmail.com
Ashleynewell1gmail.com marked it as to-read
Shelsy Garcia
Shelsy Garcia marked it as to-read
Tara Bullock
Tara Bullock marked it as to-read
Sasha Koldaeva
Sasha Koldaeva marked it as to-read
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Desiree Kadosh
Desiree Kadosh marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Michelle Frasier
Michelle Frasier marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
  • The Thanksgiving Story
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
  • 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving
  • It's Thanksgiving
  • Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims
  • Ben Franklin: Young Printer
Stone Soup Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Scholastic Junior Classics) Too Much Noise The Secret Soldier: The Story of Deborah Sampson If You Sailed On The Mayflower