Children of Heroes

Children of Heroes

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Their father’s favorite saying, between drinks and blows, was, “Life holds only bad surprises, and the last one will be death.” And now, Colin observes of the man sprawled under all the broken furniture, their father was definitely and forever out of surprises. Children of Heroes is the story Colin tells of what happened—and what happened before that. Testimony, confession...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Bison Books (first published 2002)

Brittany
This is a translated book about two children in Haiti who escape an abusive home. I have mixed feelings about it, and I had a hard time following the time line. I didn't think it was great, but I feel like I was supposed to like it because it had a shiny gold sticker on the front of it. Honestly, it was really boring.
Kevin V.
I think this novel was a good and inspiring book. It's a really good book because when there are two children who have suffered but they still take sacrifice. The things they did where the reason why they call them the children of heroes. Once I started reading the book just sucked me in.

The story talk about two young girls named Colin and Mariela Pamphile some of the nicest and precious girls. They have a father who has a failed career because he once use to be a boxer. The story mostly takes...more
malynosorozec
„Lecz nigdzie nie powiedziano, że trzeba zmieniać sny.”

Ojciec alkoholik, żyjący wspomnieniami o walkach bokserskich, które miały mu przynieść powodzenie. Matka potulnie znosząca ciosy, beznadziejnie zakochana w coraz brutalniejszym mężu. Siostra, na którą zawsze mógł liczyć, bystra, silna, wzór i oparcie w trudnych chwilach. Przyjaciele, z którymi mimo biedy, można dzielić wspólne marzenia…

Treść książki stanowi opowieść młodego Colina, która rozpoczyna się gdy ten wraz ze starszą siostrą zabijaj...more
Susan Vincent
This was a really quick read - the author tells the story from the perspective of a little boy and overlaps the timeline. Its very poetic; and presents the circular nature of violence and the foggy morality of abusive relationships.
Purple Iris
Currently re-reading for class on contemporary Haitian literature. Still love it. Works for conflict and childhood sub-themes.
Kiersten
Kiersten marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Sheryl
Sheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Rusalka
Rusalka marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
Jailene Hidalgo
Jailene Hidalgo marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Kymlicka
Kymlicka marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
NeverDust
NeverDust marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2012
Fabrice  Ulysse
Fabrice Ulysse marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Street of Lost Footsteps Bicentenaire La Belle Amour humaine L'amour Avant Que J'oublie Yanvalou pour Charlie