Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3)

Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim #3)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  18,828 ratings  ·  644 reviews
Ramona's third evil boyfriend, Todd Ingram, is currently dating the former love of Scott Ingram's life! Envy Adams broke Scott's heart a over a year ago, but now she and her evil art-rock band are back - and they want Scott's band to open their show two days from now!
Published May 1st 2006 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
65th out of 1,003 books — 344 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreY by Brian K. VaughanHawkeye, Vol. 1 by Matt FractionThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman
Graphic Novels that are Quality
35th out of 343 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicolo Yu
My reread of Scott Pilgrim reaches to volume three which is in my opinion a high mark in the series.

Bryan Lee O'Malley flexed a lot of different muscles in creating this volume. It has at least two main arcs but I'm highlighting two: the first one was Scott Pilgrim's current battle with evil ex number three Todd Ingram; and the second story was a series of flashback that shows Scott and Envy Adams' love story and breakup that lead to the eponymous Infinite Sadness. If one would notice, O'Malley...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
LOLZ!! Ok... checks it!! This isn't written by the author but he has a special sectiop in the back of this issue where his friends contributed scenes... and this REALLY helped me understand Canadians.

Ramona (American) - How come Canada has the queen on its money
Scott (Canadian) - Shh! Do you think it's easy being Britain's plaything?

Ramona: Plaything?

Scott: We do what that old lady wants. She says "jump" and we say "how high" and "should we smile wider?"
Ramona: This is so much crap, Scott

Scott:...more
Lauren Prye
Scott Pilgrim is a nichey indie comic about a freeloading guitarist who's trying to date this girl called Ramona Flowers. but in order to do that he has to battle and defeat her evil ex boyfriends- while dealing with exes of his own.

I really enjoyed the last volume in this series. I picked up the first volume. But the first volume was definitely not as good, so I figured I would try out a volume in the middle. Hence Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness.

This book is mostly focused around the...more
Skyler
Much better than book 2, IMHO, flowing more smoothly along the story, while still diving into various characters' lives. Really excellent use of the artwork to convey intensity and emotion. Certain scenes take on a gravity of their own, simply by using a variety of contrasts; things I didn't realize you could do with black and white in a comic. While I got completely lost about who had dated whom by the end, the very last page of the book is a relational diagram of the characters. Very awesome,...more
Leah
Rating: 3 of 5

Scott Pilgrim & the Infinite Sadness offered more of the same that I enjoyed in Scott Pilgrim #1 and #2.

Fave quote, "She punched the highlights out of your hair!!"
Nicholas Karpuk
Ever feel like a book is a little too specific to your interests? Scott Pilgrim's life is all music and old-school video games. I get the references consistently, and they're references I'm not used to seeing in stories.

O'Malley's storytelling style is perplexing in many regards. About 80% of the time it's a slice-of-life view of a Canadian loser in a band who's barely keeping things together in any aspect of his life.

The weirdness comes with the remaining 20%, where he engages in anime-style pa...more
Harold Ogle
In reflecting back on this book, I am struck by how much of a soap opera it is (the back of this volume actually has an attempt to diagram all the relationships between the various characters, because it is so tangled), and yet I still found it very engaging. The book is both complicated enough to evoke real-life relationships and very, very silly. Some of it is clearly O'Malley making it up on the fly, but so much of the story is so madcap already that it doesn't suffer from it.

(view spoiler)...more
Leanne

I feel like this was nearly exactly the same as the first two. The art is decent, the jokes are good, but the story isn't really going anywhere in this one. We learn a little about Scott's past and Ramona's is hinted at, but other than that there's no character development.

The way it started off, I wondered if I had accidentally picked up Volume Four and missed something, but soon the plot got moving. The characters are hard to tell apart, especially from far away, but they're cutely drawn in a

Brendon Schrodinger
I think I found this volume the most awkward of the series. Suddenly we are introduced to the character of Envy, an ex girlfriend of Scott's who has since made it semi-big in some kind of music scene. And on every page it gets pointed out that she is a total bitch. Just in case we forgot from the last page.
Oh and conveniently Envy is connected to one of Ramona's ex boyfriends. Small world.

Scott get's a haircut.

So yeah. No change in my opinion of this series at all. This is the volume I enjoyed t...more
Carmen
Jul 25, 2014 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
I don't even like graphic novels, but these are amazing. They make me happy for some reason.
Radwa
Okay, this is obviously too much different than the movie, I mean there are some events there but they're either in a different settings, different timings or different characters, but I'm enjoying it, and I kinda understand since they stuffed 6 volumes in a 2 hours movie, it'd have been tough.

Back to volume 3, the main focus is of course Natalie aka Envy, Scott's ex girlfriend, who comes back, and I'm kinda glad to know more about their story and the gradual change she went through. Scott's cha...more
Caris
In which Scott does battle with Ramona’s third Evil Ex-boyfriend: Todd, the stupid fucking vegan.

It’s kind of epic. For serious.
Cassidy  Charles
O’Malley does a fantastic job of keeping the stakes up as the series progresses. Where volume 5 wrapped up, the score was Scott: 6, Evil Ex-Boyfriends: 0, with one more ex-boyfriend to go (Ramona dated a set of identical twins, separately).

One is led to believe that Scott is off the hook with this challenge, but then Gideon, Ramona’s most recent (and the most evil) ex-boyfriend, serves Scott with marching orders. The final battle will be epic.

I have full-faith that Scott Pilgrim will defeat Gide...more
Justin
The halfway point of the Scott Pilgrim series is where things start to get a little more complex. We’re still firmly on the “beat the evil exes to date Ramona” boss-battle rails, but in Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness, an evil ex of Scott’s shows up, as well. Despite the story getting a little deeper, I had a little more trouble getting into this one than I did the previous books.

At the end of the last volume, Ramona reveals that her next evil ex is Todd Ingram, who just happens to be the...more
Julie
This volume confused me in the beginning. Then I thought it was making sense again, but I was wrong. I just ended it all rather confused.

I was willing to accept it as a fantasy world, where Ramona can cross through dreams, and her evil ex-boyfriends, once defeated, turn into coins. Throwing in a save point, though, made it start to seem rather surreal. Am I to believe it's a fantasy world? A game parody? A.. a.. a story where they're all living _in_ a game?

But that's not really the part that con...more
Vanessa
Being the continuing saga of Canadian twenty-something slacker Scott Pilgrim, his friends and band mates, and his new girlfriend Ramona Flowers who has seven evil ex-boyfriends that Scott must fight to win her hand. Or, I dunno. Something like that.

In this volume, Scott encounters his old girlfriend Envy whom he is still obsessing over a year and a half after their epic break-up that may or may not have involved his getting a bad haircut. She's in town with her madly successful-and evil-alt roc...more
Kristina
I really want to give this 4.5 stars, because while I loved the first two books equally, I think I loved this one a little bit more.

The thing I enjoy most about these graphic novels is that the characters seem so fully developed. Even those that barely garner a few pages of actual space in the novel (Lucas Lee, Wallace, that guy that knows *everybody* (including you)) feel like real, flesh and blood people. They have real quirks and complexities, and make me want to know more about them.

This vol...more
Jodi
When we last left our favorite Canadian Hipster, he was trying to clean up after a few ex-girlfriends. In Volume 3 Scott Pilgrim vs. The Infinite Sadness, Scott’s dealing with the grand poobah of exGFs, Envy Adams.

Envy’s back in town toting a vegan boyfriend named Todd who also plays in her fabulously successful band, Clash at the Demonhead. She’s asked Sex Bob-omb, Scott’s band, to open for one of their shows.

A lot of this volume is spent in flashback, detailing how Envy and Scott met — their c...more
Jen
Jan 05, 2009 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
It's another winner in the Scott Pilgrim series! This series is so bizarre and hilarious and downright wacky - I put down every book I read from the series with a big goofy smile on my face. In this book, Scott has to take on Ramona's most evil ex-boyfriend yet, Todd...who happens to be dating and in a very successful band with SCOTT's evil ex-girlfriend, Envy. So it turns into a pretty awesome double-face-off between Scott and Todd and also Ramona and Envy. And there are a lot of flashback's to...more
Adam
The characters and their relationships are getting a little deeper and the story as a whole is getting a little weirder, both of which I'm digging. Never got much of a feel for Envy, who, in spite of being the center of this book, never seemed to be much more than what the story needed her to be at any given moment. Unlike the mystery-of-Ramona arc of the series as a whole, this did not seem to be intentional. Still, excited to see where the series will go from here.
Jose Moran
An immediate continuation of Vol. 2, Scott and the band are backstage, after both his band and Envy's band (one is his exes) have finished. Tension runs high in this small room due to a lot of their relationships. Envy is dating one of Ramona's evil exes (Todd) and Knives showed up with her hair dyed and cut with one of Scott's friends. Todd turns out to be vegan, and has some intense Vegan superpowers.

Again, we get to see more flashbacks that explains how characters came to be and have the rel...more
Rebecca
Victor
Federiken Masters
Hummm. Me gustaron las batallas, me gustaron los personajes nuevos, me gusta cada vez más el dibujo, me gusta hacia dónde va apuntando todo. Hasta me empecé a acostumbrar a la traducción asquerosamente española que tiene esta edición supuestamente argentina. Pero sin embargo siento que el tomo podría haber dado un poco más, como que renguea en algunas partes, y eso que ahora mismo no recuerdo qué. La cuestión es que es un muy buen libro pero redondeo para abajo de momento. La próxima procuraré e...more
Joey the J in R.J. Spindle
A documentary? Oh crap. She's using him, isn't she? Envy is using Scott to get publicity for her band. That's GOT to be what's happening. Bitch. And Todd. Ugh. Not only did he STEAL Scott's love last year ... now he's gonna try and kill him over Ramona? Ugh. I hate people. And I totally realize these aren't even real people. Life inspires art inspires life, and all that jazz.

Read more chapter-by-chapter commentary at R. J. Spindle
Margot
Best dialogue:
"Todd's a vegan."
"No kidding! I mean, anyone can become a vegan if they work at it, right?"
"Um, no. Ovo-lacto vegetarian, maybe."
"Uh, why not?"
"Most people just can't take it. It's a fact of science. The main thing to know is that I'm better than most people."
"Graduated top of his class from vegan academy and everything."
"How does not eating dairy products give you psychic powers, anyway?"
"You know how you only use 10 percent of your brain? Well, it's because the other 90 percent i...more
Elphaba J
Opiniões completa em: http://historiasdeelphaba.blogspot.pt...

Felizmente é raro, mas por vezes acontece passar mais de uma semana sem tempo para ler e, nesses momentos, a banda desenhada faz milagres pela minha sanidade.
Com um enredo que bate recordes em termos de entretenimento, este pequeno livro é extremamente divertido e tem tudo para conquistar fãs de todas as idades, sendo naturalmente perfeito para o público jovem-adulto que se irá identificar com os dramas apocalípticos, as paixões etern...more
Daniel Mtz
The other books are a super fun read. And this is a fun read as well. But in this book feels like the story is starting to kick in, with some wonderful character development subplots which help to understand better the characters and to make them more likeable.

I can understand why some people don't like Scott from the first 2 books, but that's his hole deal. He's a Ladies Man, and kind of dumb. And if you didn't liked him before, here there are some redeeming qualities to his character showing t...more
Mith
You know what, I think Knives is actually kinda growing on me! An OK book. Still funny, but could have been a LOT better! Envy was a delight to hate. Ramona is getting boring. And Todd was meh. Wallace, however, continues to be awesome.

Also, the constant flashbacks were annoying.
Ted W
Fantastic book about Scott running into the vegan Todd. Who was the third evil ex boyfriend!
I was waiting to read the bass battle that was in the movie but it wasn't in the book! But the books are different from the movie as always i guess. Still GREAT book =D
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Adventure Time: Marceline & The Scream Queens
  • Fables, Vol. 10: The Good Prince (Fables, #10)
  • Adventure Time Vol. 2
  • Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class
  • Blue Monday Volume 2: Absolute Beginners
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
  • Hopeless Savages Volume 1
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
Bryan Lee O'Malley is a Canadian cartoonist. His first original graphic novel was Lost at Sea (2003), and he is currently working on (and best-known for) the six-volume Scott Pilgrim series (2004 to present). All of his graphic novels thus far have been published by Portland, Oregon-based Oni Press. He is also a songwriter and musician (as Kupek and formerly in several short-lived Toronto bands).
-...more
More about Bryan Lee O'Malley...
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (Scott Pilgrim, #6) Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Scott Pilgrim, #4) Scott Pilgrim Vs. the Universe (Scott Pilgrim, #5)

“Tell it to the cleaning lady on Monday. Because you'll be dust on Monday. Because I'll be pulverizing you sometime over the weekend. And the cleaning lady... cleans up... dust. She dusts. And she has weekends off, so... Monday. Right?” 55 likes
“Listen to this, okay? Just listen. You hear that? That's market bacon hitting the pan. Today a child is born unto us, and his name will be bacon.
53 likes