The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1

The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A far more civilized, beautiful life now lies within the grasp of your trembling fingertips

Gentle reader: do you tire of the meager offerings set forth by our humdrum age? Do you seek to cultivate blooms of refinement and joy in your life's garden? Lord Whimsy, as befitting his office as "Affected Provincial", humbly offers himself as a guide to those who wish to transcen...more
Published August 8th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1

Laren
Aug 17, 2012 Laren added it
It may surprise you to learn that Tom Robbins sent me this book several years ago. It is a darling book, and beautifully designed...the cover a shade of green that makes me me think of vintage wallpaper perhaps containing lead...papering a drawing room where elegant toxic cocktails are sipped. I seem to recall him writing about green, in fact,, and all manner of whimsical dandy things, including a beautiful meditation on the Luna Moth....but leaving out Patrick McDonald.
Peter
I would have given this 3.5 stars if I could, but it's not quite a four. Still, this is a lighthearted, fun and (I think) tongue-in-cheek manual for becoming a modern-day dandy. I loved the first section about the more practical aspects (pocket squares, facial hair, etc.) but the second section bogged down as Whimsy seemed to overreach in trying to construct a theoretical framework for dandyism. That said, thanks to this book, I think I might just be retrosexual.
Hannah
The book started out very humorously, but trying to breeze through it was a mistake. Too much talk of the proper way to fold a pocket square can be overwhelming to the unaffected provincial. Even I can tire of learning the proper bird-catching techniques and about the continuum between being a dandy and other similar forms of humanity. All in all, I'd suggest this as a book to read a few pages at a time, not as a quick weekend read.
Angie
May 01, 2007 Angie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dandies and dandy wannabees
An amusing and, yes, whimsical, little book. One can't help but admire a man that rides a highwheeled bike around the New Jersey countryside.

"A Bounteous Selection of Essays, Philosophical Diagrams, Poetry, and Other Such Arcadian Follies Concerning the Art of Curious Living and the Reintroduction of Ancient Charm into This Vale of Mud and Tears Known Heretofore as the Modern Life" --NYT

David
Jan 09, 2014 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Nathan Smith
As unreadable as it is quotable, this book is composed of one to two page short essays that are like literary truffles: delightful if eaten individually, but eating several in one sitting induces nausea.

Tastefully illustrated.
Matt
Fun, weird. There were parts I laughed aloud at and parts I skimmed. Lots of ridiculous advice and a few gems. The satirical format was fun.

The Art of Manliness: Scarlett Pimpernel edition.
Sara Rietsch
A total delight! At first I thought this little book would be consumed in a giant gulp, but instead I discovered that it is best sipped slowly, an essay or two at a time.
Carlos Perez
Excellent take on dandyism without taking itself too seriously. Worth it just for the sections on boutonnieres, tie knots, pocket squares, and retrosexuals!
Alli
Hilarious! Find a friend who has a smashing british accent to read this book out loud, and prepare to laugh till your stomach hurts.
A.W.
The author is a fine fine man who will discuss any subject with you. The essence of manners and creative culture.
Greg
Jun 30, 2008 Greg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: David Collins from Ohio
Amazing. I want to be like Lord Whimsy. He taught me how to display my pocket squares with flair and panache.
Michael
Nov 17, 2008 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: douchebag-haters
Recommended to Michael by: josh
Shelves: pop-culture
One chapter title says it all: The Perils of Sports Wear.
Monica
too funny. his class/hipness chart is positively fascinating
Amreet
Wonderful. Delightful. Charming. As a dandy should be.
Kellypuffs Smith
Fun, whimsical look at being a modern "dandy".
Ann Marie
Funny in small doses.
Joe Antognini
Joe Antognini marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Die Kunst mit einem Hummer spazieren zu gehen The Affected Provincial's Almanack: A Bounteous Selection of Essays, Philosophical Diagrams, Poetry and Other Such Theoretical Tinkerings Concerning the Reintroduction of Ancient Charm Into This Vale of Mud and Tears Known Heretofore as the Modern Life No New Messages The Bobby Gold Stories A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines