Start by marking “The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1

The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1

A far more civilized, beautiful life now lies within the grasp of your trembling fingertips

Gentle reader: do you tire of the meager offerings set forth by our humdrum age? Do you seek to cultivate blooms of refinement and joy in your life's garden? Lord Whimsy, as befitting his office as "Affected Provincial", humbly offers himself as a guide to those who wish to transcen
Published August 8th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1

Margaryta
The Affected Provincial's Companion, Vol. 1 Well what can I say about this one without giving too much away? It's a little gem that most people will probably overlook, and others won't have the opportunity to pick up, although they may greatly want to. As stated by other reviewers, don't attempt to read this all in one sitting. An essay a day is the more realistic approach, although even then there comes a point where you'll need a break and something different to get your mind off of it. It's a ...more
Laren
Aug 17, 2012 Laren marked it as to-read
It may surprise you to learn that Tom Robbins sent me this book several years ago. It is a darling book, and beautifully designed...the cover a shade of green that makes me me think of vintage wallpaper perhaps containing lead...papering a drawing room where elegant toxic cocktails are sipped. I seem to recall him writing about green, in fact,, and all manner of whimsical dandy things, including a beautiful meditation on the Luna Moth....but leaving out Patrick McDonald.
Hannah
Dec 01, 2008 Hannah rated it it was ok
The book started out very humorously, but trying to breeze through it was a mistake. Too much talk of the proper way to fold a pocket square can be overwhelming to the unaffected provincial. Even I can tire of learning the proper bird-catching techniques and about the continuum between being a dandy and other similar forms of humanity. All in all, I'd suggest this as a book to read a few pages at a time, not as a quick weekend read.
Peter
Apr 28, 2012 Peter rated it liked it
I would have given this 3.5 stars if I could, but it's not quite a four. Still, this is a lighthearted, fun and (I think) tongue-in-cheek manual for becoming a modern-day dandy. I loved the first section about the more practical aspects (pocket squares, facial hair, etc.) but the second section bogged down as Whimsy seemed to overreach in trying to construct a theoretical framework for dandyism. That said, thanks to this book, I think I might just be retrosexual.
Angie
May 01, 2007 Angie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dandies and dandy wannabees
An amusing and, yes, whimsical, little book. One can't help but admire a man that rides a highwheeled bike around the New Jersey countryside.

"A Bounteous Selection of Essays, Philosophical Diagrams, Poetry, and Other Such Arcadian Follies Concerning the Art of Curious Living and the Reintroduction of Ancient Charm into This Vale of Mud and Tears Known Heretofore as the Modern Life" --NYT

Nathan Smith
Sep 19, 2007 Nathan Smith rated it liked it
As unreadable as it is quotable, this book is composed of one to two page short essays that are like literary truffles: delightful if eaten individually, but eating several in one sitting induces nausea.

Tastefully illustrated.
Ann Marie
Sep 05, 2007 Ann Marie rated it liked it
Funny in small doses.
Jackie Intres
Sep 29, 2014 Jackie Intres rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, tongue-in-cheek, light, airy and a delight.
Sara Rietsch
Nov 16, 2013 Sara Rietsch rated it it was amazing
A total delight! At first I thought this little book would be consumed in a giant gulp, but instead I discovered that it is best sipped slowly, an essay or two at a time.
Jean Fauntleroy-Reed
Sep 12, 2015 Jean Fauntleroy-Reed rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Oddly endearing and entertaining. Just when you think it's all satire, you'll stumble upon a chapter of unexpected educations. The diagrams are on point.
Matt
Jan 04, 2010 Matt rated it liked it
Fun, weird. There were parts I laughed aloud at and parts I skimmed. Lots of ridiculous advice and a few gems. The satirical format was fun.

The Art of Manliness: Scarlett Pimpernel edition.
Kellypuffs Smith
Jul 11, 2008 Kellypuffs Smith rated it really liked it
Fun, whimsical look at being a modern "dandy".
Alli
Jun 02, 2008 Alli rated it liked it
Hilarious! Find a friend who has a smashing british accent to read this book out loud, and prepare to laugh till your stomach hurts.
Carlos Perez
Nov 22, 2010 Carlos Perez rated it really liked it
Excellent take on dandyism without taking itself too seriously. Worth it just for the sections on boutonnieres, tie knots, pocket squares, and retrosexuals!
Amreet
Aug 07, 2013 Amreet rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Delightful. Charming. As a dandy should be.
Greg
Jun 30, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: David Collins from Ohio
Amazing. I want to be like Lord Whimsy. He taught me how to display my pocket squares with flair and panache.
Madelyn The Great
Sep 07, 2007 Madelyn The Great rated it it was amazing
Splendid!
A.W.
Feb 26, 2008 A.W. rated it it was amazing
The author is a fine fine man who will discuss any subject with you. The essence of manners and creative culture.
Monica
Nov 11, 2008 Monica rated it really liked it
too funny. his class/hipness chart is positively fascinating
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2010
Brianne Kane
Brianne Kane rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Rodrigo
Rodrigo rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Andreas_ S
Andreas_ S rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2010
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2014
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Laurent
Laurent rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2008
mary mack
mary mack rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2008
Zach
Zach rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2007
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Excuse me while I wring this long swim out of my hair
  • Granta 127: Japan
  • Acorn
  • Hum
  • Snow
  • A Village Life
  • How to Sharpen Pencils: A Practical and Theoretical Treatise on the Artisanal Craft of Pencil Sharpening for Writers, Artists, Contractors, Flange Turners, Anglesmiths, & Civil Servants
  • Dearest Creature