The Renovation: Carter Mansion (Project Restoration, #1)

The Renovation: Carter Mansion (Project Restoration #1)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Ethan Willis has made a career out of restoring old houses like the Carter Mansion so he’s an expert with doors and windows. He knows his way around a toolbox, a construction site, and anything else having to do with rebuilding. If only he could do the same with his own life. Tragically widowed and left with a young son, he’s done the best he could, but now that Chase has...more
Published March 1st 2008 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about The Renovation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Renovation

Jill Daw
I really wanted to like this book--the premise seemed interesting and I was interested to see how the renovation aspect was integrated into the plot. However, I found the book to be rather dull and contrite. While it was interesting enough to hold my attention through the first few chapters, after the first 30 pages or so I started to loose interest and by the end I was struggling to find the motivation to read the final chapters. They way religion was written into this book seemed heavy-handed...more
Trish
This was an OK story - based on some of the other reviews, I was expecting more descriptions of the renovation, and was a bit disappointed there wasn't enough that I could actually picture the home in my mind (plenty of descriptions of the work involved, just not the finished product). While I knew what the final outcome would be (it is a romance, after all!) there were enough little twists to keep me engaged.

That being said, there were several elements that prevented the story from being a real...more
Elaine
More than a little pleasantly surprised.

Inside are real characters with real personalities. Not some Barbie doll romantics where boyfriend and girlfriend are so perfect it makes you want to gag. No these are real people who act real. A man who berates his child in front of the woman he's dating. The boy who walks away from the scolding parent. In addition to home restoration, this book's central theme is forgiveness.

This isn't a romance. It's a love story. God's love for us and how we extend tha...more
Lizzy
Not very often that I really dislike a book that I bought, but I really did not like this one. It skipped around so much. Not that it was hard to follow, but it would skip to a very useless scene. Ones that really didnt build up the story. I feel like this could have been a cute little novela and was about 4 times bigger than it should have been. The story could have been a good one too. Then the ending was quite sudden and so was the marriage. Which was barely a relationship throughout the whol...more
Haije
Predictable plot, the story touching.
Kathbick
It was a bit too long for what it was.
Andrea Stoeckel
Reminiscent of L N Cronk's Chop Chop story arc, this book is the beginning of the story of Ethan and Chase Willis struggle with the loss of Ethan's mother Lynne from an unfortunate series of events. Cameron Dane is also strugglling with her past, and has reinvented herself as she tries to move forward. Their lives interesct and a wonderfully sweet story unfolds.

I loved this book and will look for the rest of the series. This book will make your heart smil
Christie
This book was ok. While there were definitely parts that grabbed at my emotions, overall it was very slow moving and didn't hold my attention. (I had no problem putting it down to go to sleep or do something else.) The story has a nice point to it, but it probably could have been communicated much more quickly.
Jkmays
I wanted to like this book. It takes place in my home town, but I could not get into it at all. The only reason I had to continue reading was to see how true she was to Franklin, but after awhile that did not even cause me to go on. I stopped reading about 33% of the way through.
Christy Carmean
Real characters with real problems. Some hard to follow moments, but a good read. More depth than a typical Christian fiction.
Terri Haynes
I really love Terri Kraus' style of writing. It makes me feel like I've just read a book of poetry.
Valerie Teeling
Unique story---I thought it dragged out the plot somewhat.
Cindy Barnett
enjoyed this writer...
Kelly
free on Kindle
Heather Bireley
Heather Bireley marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Reba Campbell
Reba Campbell marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Julie-Allyson Ieron
Julie-Allyson Ieron is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Pam Graber
Pam Graber marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Alex Hackney
Alex Hackney marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Cindi P.
Cindi P. marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
The Transformation (Project Restoration #3) The Renewal: Midlands Building (Project Restoration #2) The Choosing Pirates of the Heart (Treasures of the Carribbean #1) The Price (Circle of Destiny #1)