Start by marking “Paddington at Large” as Want to Read:
Paddington at Large

Paddington at Large (Paddington Bear #5)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
There'll always be an England, but the old place has never been quite the same since the Brown children came across a small lost bear in London's Paddington Station. Whether tinkering with the neighbor's lawn mower or experimenting in the kitchen, Paddington has a knack for finding trouble.
In this new edition of Paddington at Large, the well-meaning bear with a talent for
Published October 1st 2002 by Turtleback Books (first published April 27th 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Paddington at Large, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddington at Large

Mary
Jan 12, 2017 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories are timeless.
I loved reading about Paddington's antic's where he always seems to do something right even if he does get in a pickle!
Maria
May 09, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely Paddington is in trouble as usual!
Beverly
Dec 28, 2011 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another charming tale of A bear from Peru.
Peter
Apr 21, 2008 Peter marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Paddington at Large? As in Paddington on the lamb? What crime could that cute little Snuggles-doppelganger have possibly committed?
Scott
Aug 26, 2013 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe i never read these before, each volume in the 12 book set i have is a delight, this is number 5. Mr Brown (Paddington to you and me)has more fantastic everyday adventures with a spot of gardening and an impromptu trip on a lawnmower. Next up is a day out in the park with Mr Gruber, and the bandstand, it is never going to go smoothly with Paddington around. Then the Browns get a new televisoin set, and Paddington catches an intruder in the house. Paddington then gathers everyone r ...more
Brie
Jan 21, 2017 Brie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, 2017
We cannot get enough Paddington at our house. My 6 year old daughter and I love reading these at bedtime.

In this one, Paddington gets a lawnmower stuck in Mr. Curry's tree, which then falls out and causes all sorts of chaos. He also heads to an outdoor symphony and ends up becoming the closing act, calls the police when he hears noises on the roof which turn out to be someone installing an antenna (he also causes trouble with the new TV Set), ends up on a TV quiz show, attempts to make toffee w
Mar 30, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to say that the Paddington books are getting lazy by this point, but they certainly are becoming a bit rote. Free of any overarching theme, Paddington wanders like a preschool Monsieur Hulot from one situation to another, with only very loose links. The Browns seem to have been reduced to even more of a Greek chorus than usual in this one, standing aside or watching from afar as Paddington is rushed to hospital, lost in a department store (again), or - in the best chapter - playing as ...more
Seth
Sep 07, 2010 Seth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this series (that which I read anyway). Though the writing is formulaic in nature and doesn't really change much, Paddington never disappoints. He is always getting into something in his ignorant, innocent fashion. These books aren't very deep or thought-provoking, but they make a good read for younger readers and those who enjoy plays on words. Very similar to series such as Miss Pickerel, Marty the Martian, Amelia Bedelia, etc.
Nonethousand Oberrhein
From the mountains of Peru to London
Yet another collection of Paddington's adventures: the clumsy, talking, marmalade-eating bear with a well-behaved but direct approach to life will wreak havoc in the neighbourhood! Children and grown-ups will enjoy the simple, but in their own way profound stories where he’ll endlessly get in trouble, but will always try his best to make things right for everyone. The series never gets old!
Christine
Oct 25, 2008 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: my mom
I didn't like this book as much as the other ones though. It is still a nice story, but still not as great as the others. I don't think this is the first one, but I could be mistaken. You really don't have to read them in order if you would like to read the series. My favorite one is "A Bear Called Paddington", although I have only read about three of the stories. I would recomend them to slower readers and no people that like long novels.
Mark
Mar 03, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another collection of the (mis)adventures of Paddington Bear. In this one he helps out with the gardening, makes some toffee, goes to the park for a bandstand concert, goes Christmas shopping and helps out with a pantomime - all with the usual amount of things going wrong.
Who can't help but be beguiled by these tales of a simple bear and his misfortune when trying to do good.
Kassandra
Jan 15, 2015 Kassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still very funny with paddington getting into his usual trouble. I found it hilarious that paddington techniquely answered the questions wrong for a game how but till won five hundred pounds when he explained why his answers were right.
Jeandana
This book was super cute and fun :) I love Paddington and the scrapes he gets himself into! I particularly liked the chapter about the game show; Paddington really out-does himself! Definitely a great book :)
Jen Pritchard
Paddington's answers to the questions on the game show were excellent and I rate them as the funniest moment in the book. As always the illustrations by Peggy Fortnum are lovely. They add a lot to the story!!
mtthw
Mar 19, 2008 mtthw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i have a box set of these books that were given to me as a child. i always wanted to like marmalade as a kid and made my mom buy it at the store all the time, but i just never like it. i do now. funny how tastebuds change.
Maureen
Very cute book. It is my first Paddington
Jo
Nov 13, 2014 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Paddington.. and this was a humorous and great book
Jack
How much trouble can Paddington get upto in 1/2 hour... well. Quite a lot
Bectoria
May 06, 2015 Bectoria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
A gentle and funny adventure in each chapter, a little formulaic but children were charmed.
Damien Malcolm
Another fun romp in the world of Paddington. Kids love it, especially when I do the character voices.
Ria
Jun 14, 2010 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with the others, very entertaining and witty stories.
Lisa Hartmann Jensen
What can I say? I truly love Paddington.
He is so innocent and things just don't end up they way he plans them.
Elisa Clawson
Four of twelve
I <3 Paddington!
Helena
Apr 14, 2012 Helena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love paddington
Juliana
started it like friday i think :-?
i finished this on thursday
Bea
Sep 17, 2014 Bea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe that I never read Paddington Bear books when I was a child. What adventures he gets into!
Hannah
Apr 29, 2011 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes humor
Recommended to Hannah by: Miss Kathy
I REALLY thought is was cute and funny!
  • The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse
  • The Magic Summer
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Henry Reed's Journey
  • Angelina and Alice
  • A Dog So Small
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
Michael Bond OBE is an English children's author. He is the creator of Paddington Bear and has written about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also writes culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.
More about Michael Bond...

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Paddington Takes the Air (Paddington, #9)
  • Paddington On Top (Paddington, #10)
  • Paddington Takes the Test (Paddington, #11)