Start by marking “Paddington at Large” as Want to Read:
Paddington at Large

Paddington at Large (Paddington Bear #5)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  795 ratings  ·  25 reviews
There'll always be an England, but the old place has never been quite the same since the Brown children came across a small lost bear in London's Paddington Station. Whether tinkering with the neighbor's lawn mower or experimenting in the kitchen, Paddington has a knack for finding trouble.
In this new edition of Paddington at Large, the well-meaning bear with a talent for
Turtleback, 132 pages
Published December 1st 2002 by Turtleback Books (first published April 27th 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Paddington at Large, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paddington at Large

Maria
Lovely Paddington is in trouble as usual!
Peter
Apr 22, 2008 Peter marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Paddington at Large? As in Paddington on the lamb? What crime could that cute little Snuggles-doppelganger have possibly committed?
It's hard to say that the Paddington books are getting lazy by this point, but they certainly are becoming a bit rote. Free of any overarching theme, Paddington wanders like a preschool Monsieur Hulot from one situation to another, with only very loose links. The Browns seem to have been reduced to even more of a Greek chorus than usual in this one, standing aside or watching from afar as Paddington is rushed to hospital, lost in a department store (again), or - in the best chapter - playing as ...more
Beverly
Another charming tale of A bear from Peru.
Scott
I can't believe i never read these before, each volume in the 12 book set i have is a delight, this is number 5. Mr Brown (Paddington to you and me)has more fantastic everyday adventures with a spot of gardening and an impromptu trip on a lawnmower. Next up is a day out in the park with Mr Gruber, and the bandstand, it is never going to go smoothly with Paddington around. Then the Browns get a new televisoin set, and Paddington catches an intruder in the house. Paddington then gathers everyone r ...more
Mark
Another collection of the (mis)adventures of Paddington Bear. In this one he helps out with the gardening, makes some toffee, goes to the park for a bandstand concert, goes Christmas shopping and helps out with a pantomime - all with the usual amount of things going wrong.
Who can't help but be beguiled by these tales of a simple bear and his misfortune when trying to do good.
Jen Pritchard
Paddington's answers to the questions on the game show were excellent and I rate them as the funniest moment in the book. As always the illustrations by Peggy Fortnum are lovely. They add a lot to the story!!
Jo
I love Paddington.. and this was a humorous and great book
Seth
I really enjoyed this series (that which I read anyway). Though the writing is formulaic in nature and doesn't really change much, Paddington never disappoints. He is always getting into something in his ignorant, innocent fashion. These books aren't very deep or thought-provoking, but they make a good read for younger readers and those who enjoy plays on words. Very similar to series such as Miss Pickerel, Marty the Martian, Amelia Bedelia, etc.
Christine
Oct 25, 2008 Christine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: my mom
I didn't like this book as much as the other ones though. It is still a nice story, but still not as great as the others. I don't think this is the first one, but I could be mistaken. You really don't have to read them in order if you would like to read the series. My favorite one is "A Bear Called Paddington", although I have only read about three of the stories. I would recomend them to slower readers and no people that like long novels.
Bectoria
A gentle and funny adventure in each chapter, a little formulaic but children were charmed.
mtthw
i have a box set of these books that were given to me as a child. i always wanted to like marmalade as a kid and made my mom buy it at the store all the time, but i just never like it. i do now. funny how tastebuds change.
Jeandana
This book was super cute and fun :) I love Paddington and the scrapes he gets himself into! I particularly liked the chapter about the game show; Paddington really out-does himself! Definitely a great book :)
Caroline
Loved these as a child, & have bought them for my 5 year old niece for Christmas. She's an advanced reader for her age!
Lisa Hartmann Jensen
What can I say? I truly love Paddington.
He is so innocent and things just don't end up they way he plans them.
Bea
I can't believe that I never read Paddington Bear books when I was a child. What adventures he gets into!
Damien Malcolm
Another fun romp in the world of Paddington. Kids love it, especially when I do the character voices.
Juliana
started it like friday i think :-?
i finished this on thursday
Ria
As with the others, very entertaining and witty stories.
Hannah
Jan 18, 2012 Hannah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes humor
Recommended to Hannah by: Miss Kathy
I REALLY thought is was cute and funny!
Leona Seib
Leona Seib marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Matt Chapman
Matt Chapman is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
  • The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • Angelina and Alice
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • Henry Reed's Journey