James Dean Died Here: The Locations of America's Pop Culture Landmarks

James Dean Died Here: The Locations of America's Pop Culture Landmarks

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  11 reviews
James Dean Died Here takes you on a journey across North America to the exact locations where the most significant events in American popular culture took place. It's a road map for pop culture sites, from Patty Hearst's bank to the garage where Apple Computer was born. Featuring hundreds of photographs, this fully illustrated encyclopedic look at the most famous and infam...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Santa Monica Press

To ask other readers questions about James Dean Died Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Dean Died Here

John Orman
Not just Dean's death site, but also pop culture sites from Patty Hearst's bank to the Apple Computer birth site in a garage.

Weird and wonderful moments are memorialized here.

I've been close to the Bigfoot site where the famous Patterson film was shot in 1967, in Six Rivers Forest in CA. I've been to the first McDonald's restaurant in San Bernadino. Also been to Yankee Stadium, and Dealey Plaza in Dallas, as well as the Sixth Floor Museum and Love Field.

I've been on the U. of Oregon campus, wher...more
Brisbride13
I wanted to like this book but just didnt. I felt like I was reading an encyclopedia. I found myself skimming it after a while, choosing what i found interesting. And honestly I wasnt too big on him declaring Marilyn Monroe's death a suicide when not even the coroner could say for sure or what he said about Fatty Arbuckle. He could have written that his statements were his opinions and not stated them as fact...just MY opinion.
Jennifer Patrick
I now have a big ole' bunch of places I want to visit now! I would drive 10 hours to see the theater where Pee Wee Herman was arrested for masturbating, or the graves of Bonnie and Clyde. I may start closer to home with the MothMan bridge. I could start a whole niche travel company catering to weirdos like me who want to see the bizzare and disturbing side of things. Hmmmmm....
K.D. Richardson
If you're into Hollywood, this is a fine book. Good photos and explanations of what was shot at a particular location around the United States. I was looking for a particular location where a movie scene was shot, and I stumbled across another interesting location of a Hollywood tragedy. I ended up writing a screenplay about it.
Brittanie
Nov 22, 2011 Brittanie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of Americana and road trips
Recommended to Brittanie by: Amazon
I like that each entry is accompanied with a photo but it didn't keep my attention like Micheal Largo's similar books have. I think it has to do with the categorization and possibly the choice of sites. This book would be good for someone on a road trip with these listed places in mind.
What a fun read !!!!! It was such a treat reading about some of the places I have actually been to, the places I had no idea about and even some of the places I really had no desire to know about. Very enjoyable!!!
Michelle
My cousin introduced me to Chris Epting and I love his books! It makes me want to travel and go to all of these landmarks across the U.S.!
Harle
Aug 13, 2011 Harle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: trivia lovers, pop culture lovers
A lovely collection of pop culture landmarks all around America. Especially good for trivia nuts.
Suzanne
Must look at anytime I am going on vacation. It is amazing what America has to offer!
Kimandrevil
Fun road trip planner
You You
You You marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Dr. Detroit
Dr. Detroit marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Denika Clay
Denika Clay marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Jillian Loera
Jillian Loera marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Cindy Kleback
Cindy Kleback marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A pop culture (and baseball) history aficionado, Chris has a lifelong penchant for documenting the exact sites where things both great and small occurred. As an author, Epting has found that unearthing and chronicling ‘hidden’ locations offers him a challenge. What began as an inquisitive hobby soon developed into the writing and photographing of 14 books based on his discoveries, including James...more
More about Chris Epting...
Led Zeppelin Crashed Here: The Rock and Roll Landmarks of North America Marilyn Monroe Dyed Here: More Locations of America's Pop Culture Landmarks Elvis Presley Passed Here: Even More Locations of America's Pop Culture Landmarks The Ruby Slippers, Madonna's Bra, and Einstein's Brain: The Locations of America's Pop Culture Artifacts All I Need To Know I Learned From KISS