Start by marking “The Howling II” as Want to Read:
The Howling II

The Howling II (The Howling #2)

This is it! Gary Brandner's famous book, "THE HOWLING II." A must read!

"If you haven't read Gary Brandner you're missing a treat."

~ STEPHEN KING

• *

For Karyn it was the howling.

The howling that had heralded the nightmare in Drago... the nightmare that had joined her husband Roy to the she-wolf Marcia and should have ended forever with fire.

But it hadn't.

Roy and Mar

Mass Market Paperback, 284 pages
Published August 12th 1982 by Fawcett (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Howling II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Howling II

The Howling by Gary BrandnerCycle of the Werewolf by Stephen KingBane County by J.R.   RiceWake the Wicked by Christian BalogaBestial by William D. Carl
Werewolf Horror Books!
6th out of 42 books — 28 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattySwan Song by Robert McCammonThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Best Horror Novels Not By King or Koontz
186th out of 451 books — 440 voters

More lists with this book...

Thomas Strömquist
Great second entry in the series! I thought that in the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'd stay clear of mentioning plot and characters, but the story follows true and kind of logical to the first book. At the same time this is what a sequel should be like I think, not cut off at a page count, but could easily have been chosen to be one long book instead, but a revisit with some intervening time and things that has happened that are related interwoven in the story. Oh, just read it, you'll see ...more
Tom Dewitt
Jun 14, 2013 Tom Dewitt rated it liked it
While I enjoyed the first novel, I found myself somewhat disappointed with this second installment, not in the story itself, but with the main characters Karyn and Roy. Although I was glad she was able to rebuild her life after the events of the first novel, she still felt weak to me. Her hyper damsel in distress behavior very off-putting to the point that I wanted her to be eaten by the werewolves. Roy was no better, not only did he survive the fire, but instead of trying to find Karyn, because ...more
Chris
Oct 29, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2012-reads
3 1/2 stars.

Clearly, the animosity doesn't end with the divorce....

Karyn, the much put upon wife in The Howling I, has remarried (even though her husband is not dead---although she doesn't know it) and trying to move on with her life. Where during the first book she was constantly haunted by memories and flashbacks of her rape, in this book she is constantly haunted by memories and flashbacks of being attacked by werewolves. She just can't win, apparently, and will not ever consider the possibi
John
Jul 02, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Mark
Oct 02, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, old-school
It is three years after the incident at Drago which served as the climax to “The Howling”. Karyn Beatty - now Richter - is trying to make a new life for herself in Seattle with her husband David and young stepson Joey. She’s still haunted by memories of what happened though and these are compounded when she sees her believed-dead husband Roy in a shopping mall, then someone who looks a lot like Marcia Lura. Not wanting to put her family at risk, she tracks down Chris Halloran (from the first ...more
Christina
Not really getting into this book. Is Karyn not capable of feeling any emotions besides fear? What about grief for what she lost, happiness to have come so far and survived, anger, or a mix of conflicted emotions, something besides only fear. I’d be content with even some vengeance - overgrown dog hunt anyone? Maybe that comes out in later chapters. I haven’t gotten far in the book at all, because seriously Roy and Marcia are detestable characters! Where is Selene when you need her!?!
description
Elias Siqueiros
The first one was great and hard to put down, the second one not so much. This book feels like it was written quickly for quick cash. But I haven't read the third book and I'm definitely looking forward to it. Is it a waste of time? No, it's still very fun....just not on the level of the first book. I hope the third raises the bar again.
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Another great werewolf tale. Some good suspense and gore / violent scenes alongside an interesting continuation from the first book. A satisfying ending too :)
Kittykorn
Jun 29, 2014 Kittykorn rated it really liked it
Another quick read lol found this one a bit better then the first.
Nick
Nov 08, 2016 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great sequel to The Howling! First published in 1979, it features characters from the the first book and picks up the story three years on.

I liked the small town setting in The Howling whereas the sequel features a number of different locations as the story progresses. It addresses the impact of the events in the first book and how life has changed for the characters. I don't want to spoil any reading of either book so I will just say it is a great sequel that expands the story.

The book reinfo
Andrew Michael Schwarz
Good tale with cardboard characters

I liked this story, but i loved the first one. The biggest drawback was how flimsy the characterization was in this one. Aside from the main character, everyone else seemed stock.
Neil Buchanan
Aug 31, 2015 Neil Buchanan rated it liked it
Set some time after the events of the original, Howling 2 revisits our main protagonist, Karyn, as she tries to start a new life away from the horrors of Drago. Karyn hasn't had it easy since werewolves ate her dog, best mate and turned her former husband, Roy, into one of their own. She suffers from cynophobia (an abnormal fear of dogs) and despite being remarried and surrounded by those that have her best interests at heart, no one really believes she survived an attack by werewolves.
So, as Ka
lynda  dwight
Feb 17, 2015 lynda dwight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror , stephen king fans,
Shelves: owned, horror
now if you like the first HOWLING you will definitely like this one and it gives the ending of karyn, roy, and Marcia.

karyn tries to get on with her life in the second novel. its been three years. she has remarried and has a young stepson. but she cant' get over what horrendously happened to her three years before , she still has nightmares and constant fear. of course no one believes what happened in drago she is under psychiatric outpatient care for what the world believes is all in her head.
Damien Spencer
Sep 07, 2013 Damien Spencer rated it did not like it
This was bad. I just read a book that features a woman with a seemingly unending amount of money travel all over the country to avoid these werewolves that are just determined to the max to follow her everywhere and sort of make an attempt at making her life miserable. I will say this the book was original in the sense that the way people handled the things that happened are unlike anything I've ever seen or read before in the sense that they have such dumb reactions to things I felt like I was ...more
Benjamin Thomas
Sep 23, 2014 Benjamin Thomas rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, werewolves
Having recently read the first book of this werewolf trilogy, and finding it better than expected, I felt compelled to read the follow-up. This one has a rapidly moving plot that held my interest even though most of it followed a fairly predictable course. The background "color" is nicely dated with mid to late 1970's pop culture references (Kojak, Clint Eastwood movies, Charlie's Angels, etc.). The author has had some successful Hollywood screenwriting experiences, and I feel that really shows ...more
Nigel
Nov 06, 2015 Nigel rated it it was ok
I was disappointed in this sequel to the excellent Howling. The not quite killing Marcia with the silver bullet but giving her a silver streak in her hair so she was alive but not able to change into her wolf form didn't quite seem believable to me. Another element that didn't work was the gypsies 'working for the wolves' which seemed to be copied straight from vampire novels where the gypsies are in thrall to their vampire lord. The same relationship was implied here but not explained and since ...more
Chris
Oct 15, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
While not as strong as the first novel, the second book in the Howling trilogy finds Karyn newly remarried a few years after events in the previous story, but still haunted by the horror...and in therapy for it. Her new husband is supportive, to a point, but doesn't believe her story, and in fact, behaves rather uncharacteristically later in the book. As does a few other characters, which is one of this book's flaws. Karyn's seemingly idyllic new life is turned upside down when her new family is ...more
Lucas Mangum
Feb 28, 2014 Lucas Mangum rated it liked it
Gary Brandner's sequel to his seminal werewolf novel is an entertaining read, but not quite up to the standard of the previous entry. Unfortunately, the first half drags quite a bit, as if it was written in a rush. It becomes far more exciting as the story advances though, culminating in a third act that moves a lot quicker and has more happening.

The book's most shining moments are when Brandner's signature cinematic prose is on display. He was a master at giving the reader just enough to paint
Tobin Elliott
Jan 24, 2015 Tobin Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copy, horror, fiction
Not quite as good as the first one, and some of the characters (Karyn's new husband, Chris' girlfriend) didn't feel fully formed, but once again Brandner did a good job of building up to the conclusion.

My chief complaint is the end. Without going into spoiler territory, I just wish Karyn was much less of a damsel in distress and more of a heroine. She needs to solve her own problems.

Still, all in all, one of the better werewolf books I've read. Especially loved all the references to late 70s lif
Thomas Rohde
Aug 14, 2014 Thomas Rohde rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, fiction
this installment was slightly better than the first one (though much of my opinion on that may have to do with having seen the film do many times that it had been lacking suspense). that said, the characters are not any better drawn or fleshed out. there is far too much "oh my god am I going crazy" at the beginning and then too much "no one will believe the truth" later on. in all I think most of my objections come down to not liking Karyn and her incessant need to find a man to save her.

howling
Cole
Jul 04, 2013 Cole rated it really liked it
The Howling 2 is a great novel, however I enjoyed the first on a completely different level. The Howling was an intense off in the woods being stalked in the night horror, while The Howling 2 is more of an action/adventure story. I'm not saying this makes the novel bad in any way, I am just saying that I missed the eerie feel presented by the first. The story line is great and I couldn't stop reading until I had finished it. I recommend this to werewolf fans and those who enjoy a good chase and ...more
Cynthia
Apr 09, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This book is a great follow-up.

Emotionally damaged Karyn is trying to get her life back on track after the horror of Drago. What she soon finds out is that not all the evil from Drago perished as she had hoped, but instead are looking for revenge.

I really enjoyed this book and it was a fast and easy read. I was a bit annoyed in the beginning by how Karyn's mental state was written. I think in the first book also this is true, it was just a bit overly done. Even with that being said, I really enj
Anthony Sullivan
Aug 04, 2014 Anthony Sullivan rated it liked it
As much as the first book was comparable to a low budget movie equivalent, so is The Howling 2 compared to a low budget movie sequel. It was OK, but felt like part of a bigger picture. You know how some books start strong, lose it in the middle and then pick up toward the end? The middle was the best part, as that was where the plot and character seemed to be. The beginning and end just kind of felt a little rushed. Overall though, if you enjoyed the first Howling book you're going to want to ...more
Jessica Smith
Gah, this book failed to deliver a statisfying ending. The characters were limp, the situations too unbelievable despite being a fantasy/horror. I didn't mind the main characters so much, thought I thought Karyn could have been better developed, and the plot itself followed much the same route, being slightly more contrived than I would like. However, it is the writing itself which saves this novel from the dreaded one star review, as the prose is alive with strong verbs, imagery.
Exanimis
I was a big fan of the 80's movie, the original Howling not the sequals but I was disapointed with the book. After reading the Howling and remembering how bad the sequals to the movie were, I wasn't really too excited about reading the Howling II. Wow! was I surprised? This was so much better than the first book and it makes me want to read the howling III.
Scott Coleman
Jun 03, 2013 Scott Coleman rated it liked it
An interesting follow up to Brandner's classic The Howling, this sequel manages both to carry the characters forward in life while telling a very different type of tale than the first book.

More of a horror adventure story, The Howling II runs at a fast pace but seems quite short by modern novel standards. Still a good, if quick, read.
PsypherPunk
Oct 10, 2012 PsypherPunk rated it it was ok
Given how obviously fond I was of the previous book I'm not sure why I bothered delving into this one. Oh, because it was short, that's why. There's little different this time around with the same range of forgettable characters and fairly flat prose. Throw in a change of scenery and a stock Gypsy character et voilà.
Martin Haynes
Apr 26, 2016 Martin Haynes rated it liked it
I bought The Howling trilogy a while ago, read the first book and was somewhat underwhelmed,. I pretty well skimmed the second book and am now reading the third instalment just to get through the set! The books are reasonably entertaining but I could not detect any real depth. Still, that's me! Horses for courses I suppose!
John Henery
May 07, 2013 John Henery rated it it was amazing
Wow this book made me mad at the 1st movie... had they not changed so much in the movie we would have had this as a sequel. And after reading this it is so much better than any of the sequels.

Anyway it's a straight up revenge novel with characters returning from the 1st novel. If you call yourself a fan of The Howling then track down these 2 books and prepare to be blown away!
Tammy
Nov 01, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: e-reader, werewolves, free
Least favorite of the trilogy. Some of the decisions, or lack thereof, made by the characters were either silly or unbelievable. Still, the classic horror themes and writing made me downright sentimental at times.
Horror Aficionados : The Howling Trilogy 106 57 13 hours, 54 min ago
  • The Wild
  • The Final Conflict: Omen III (The Omen #3)
  • Shapeshifter
  • Night of the Living Dead
  • Santa Steps Out
  • Breeder
  • The Scream
Gary Phil Brandner (May 31, 1930 – September 22, 2013) was an American horror author best known for his werewolf themed trilogy of novels, The Howling. The first book in the series was loosely adapted as a motion picture in 1981. Brandner's second and third Howling novels, published in 1979 and 1985 respectively, have no connection to the film series, though he was involved in writing the ...more
More about Gary Brandner...

The Howling (3 books)