Start by marking “Kipper's A to Z: An Alphabet Adventure” as Want to Read:
Kipper's A to Z: An Alphabet Adventure

Kipper's A to Z: An Alphabet Adventure ( Kipper the Dog)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  211 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Kipper and Arnold are on an alphabet adventure What can they find for each letter? They find ladybugs for "L. And toys for "T. But what begins with "X? That's a hard one.
Turtleback, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Kipper's A to Z, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kipper's A to Z

Jaime
Oct 27, 2009 Jaime rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Of all the alphabet books out there, this one is the best. My 2-year-old loved it. The characters were charming, the illustrations simple and attractive, the prose were catchy and fun, and all-in-all I didn't mind reading this book 100 times. And while my daughter already knew most of her letters, this book really solidified the capital letters, taught her the lowercase letters and conceptually she understood that letters make sounds and that those sounds put together make words. Great little bo ...more
Jennifer Hackett
Tag: Alphabet Book Class 2

Inkpen, Mick. Kipper’s A to Z: An Alphabet Adventure (2000). Kipper, a cute brown dog, and a pig, Arnold take an adventure through all letters of the alphabet. Kipper and Arnold name each letter of the alphabet and gives examples of each. Each letter from A to Z is written with both capital and lowercase letters as well as in large print so it stands out to the reader. The illustrations are simple, yet colorful providing images to help associate animals and items with t
Ilze
May 19, 2016 Ilze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliant little alphabet book! Some of the alphabet books tend to force the issue, e.g. unable to find something for q or k or x, they make something like "x-ray fish" and you wonder if your child will even know what that is! Mick Inkpen completely circumvents that and Admits (!) that writing something with an x is not funny. In addition, he creates continuation by having zebra checking in every now and again ... in typical are-we-there-yet?-style
Heidi
I think this is a perfect ABC book to use in the preschool group--as I want there to be a bit more in the story as well as getting the kids to recognize the sounds. Very cute and with some little instances of humor that might not always be caught. It might seem a little long, so I'm considering pausing in the middle of the book to do a song and then continuing.

10/5/10 & 10/7/10 This went very well, even with its length. I did a wiggle song in the middle and the kids were perfectly fine with
Mahera
Mar 23, 2013 Mahera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kipper’s A to Z is a book by Mick Inkpen. The book is an amazing book for children in reception going into year two. The narrative of the story is about a dog named Kipper who takes his friend Arnold through the Alphabet. Kipper goes through the alphabet naming the letter and giving an example of something which begins with the letter, for example ‘A is for ant...B is for box and buzzzzz’, this goes all the way to the letter Z. While going through the alphabet Kipper names many animals, objects, ...more
Nancy O'Toole
In Kipper's A to Z, Kipper and his friend Arnold have an adventure that covers the letters A to Z. Each letter is represented by an element that is introduced into the story, such as Z for Zebra. The author uses simple illustrations with light shading to create depth, which results in some charming illustrations. The letters A to Z are always presented in large font with both capital and lowercase letters. This makes the book a great resource for teaching children about the alphabet while being ...more
Brigid Keely
Dec 29, 2015 Brigid Keely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Kipper's A to Z: An Alphabet Adventure" by Mick Inkpen, is a sweet little alphabet book featuring Kipper and Arnold (Pig's younger charge... his little brother? Cousin? Random kid he babysits?) as they have a fun day and play and explore. The illustrations are calm and cute.
Lizeth Velazquez
Inkpen, Mick. Kipper's A to Z: An Alphabet Adventure (2000). Kipper a dog and Arnold a pig are friends that begin to work through the alphabet to collect animals, insects, or things. Kipper and Arnold try to use a box to place their animals, but with no success. The font is large and larger for the specified letter and name of said animal or insect. The alphabet is presented in a narrative poetic style by using alliteration by using adjectives and verbs for each named animal to emphasize the beg ...more
Sara Lemonade
Nov 30, 2014 Sara Lemonade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad and I have read this book together at least 50 times. We have inside jokes and rituals, and it's always hilarious.
Oona
Mar 24, 2015 Oona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME book with Kipper & Arnold and their alphabet adventure!
Heila
Apr 11, 2015 Heila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, humor, irc
There’s a cleanness to both the illustrations and text. A refreshing ordinariness that’s not at all trite. Just the same way there’s a cleanness to the way little kids talk, act and think. For example, sometimes collecting bugs is all there needs to happen in a day to make it a good one. The humor is the same – it rings true to toddler sensibilities. And since little kids can be a riot, it’s enjoyable for all ages, too.
Chelsea
Oct 09, 2011 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so cute! Both the story and the pictures were done very well. I loved how with the letter k, the author left room for the children to think up their own words that began with the letter. I also liked how with the letter n, the author mentioned that the word "gnat" did not begin with the letter n. I also liked how the book followed a running theme of insects and how the zebra was mentioned throughout the book.
Erica
Apr 01, 2008 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv, picture-book
Kipper and his friend Arnold are on an adventure to find things that start with each letter of the alphabet. They find that "I" is for interesting insect inside their box. This insect may be xuyglybuy, because they don't have a xylophone for the "X" page. An impatient zebra shows of frequently but has to wait for his turn at the end. Cited in Through the Eyes of a Child.

Recommended for grades Preschool - Kindergarten
Karina
Jul 23, 2012 Karina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kipper and his friend Arnold embark an a journey through the alphabet, with assistance from an ant, lots of ladybirds, squidgy slugs, wriggly worms, - and one persistent zebra, who can't wait for his turn! Gently appealing illustrations and a playful use of text mean that this is a real story as well as an approachable introduction to the alphabet.
Deborah
Apr 14, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kipper and Arnold are seeking items (mostly in nature) that start with different letters of the alphabet. Zebra pops up here and there asking if it is his turn yet. Some humor and a bit of a story accompany most of the letters although, some letters are simply represented.

Ages 3-5.
jacky
Aug 16, 2014 jacky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite alphabet books! It reminded me of the Max and Ruby alphabet book. The alphabet is featured through multiple words using each letter as well as large upper and lowercase examples, but there is still a story to follow. I also thought the zebra was cute.
Amy
Feb 20, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boys
The boys and I read a book every night they're here. This is a favorite.

The boys LOVE Kipper the Dog. And I do too. The Kipper videos we have are gentle, playful, and imaginative. This book is the same with some silly humor thrown in.
Beth
May 24, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not nuts about the alphabet book genre, but this one is very clever and is actually fun to read out loud. Kipper and Arnold make a little alphabetical bug zoo, the zebra keeps wondering when his turn will come....
Theresa
Kipper's A to Z: An Alphabet Adventure
by Mick InkPen
a cute emergent reader book series related to the pbs show that helps kids recognize words and topics related to school, home and outside.
Leila T.
Nov 28, 2011 Leila T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love this book. It's like an educational alphabet with a kind of story. Whimsical and fun, and a little weird, which is typical Kipper.
Kate B
Jun 03, 2015 Kate B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Illustrations that are familiar to fan's of Mick Inkpen give an entertaining stroll though the alphabet. X was a bit of a cop out, though.
Dolly
Jun 06, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
Cute Alphabet book with cleverly picked creatures and funny narrative. Our girls really like Kipper.
Corinne
May 09, 2012 Corinne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darling picture book that introduces ABCs to young children in an endearing way.
Amy
An excellent take on the ubiquitous alphabet book. Highly recommended!
Jessica Bennett
A good alphabet book involving a favourite character.
Chrystal
Kipper is cute. The pig's voice on the show is funny...
Stacie
Oct 23, 2007 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abc, board-books
Gotta love Kipper.
Xiaohui Yang
Sep 21, 2013 Xiaohui Yang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pre-K/K
  • Alphabatics
  • All I See is Part of Me
  • The Very Noisy Night
  • Zen Ghosts
Mick Inkpen is one of the most popular author/illustrators in the world. His books have sold over 4 million copies, and have been translated into over twenty different languages. His best-loved characters are probably Kipper and Wibbly Pig – who are both stars of their very own TV series!

He began his career as a graphic designer, and worked with another children’s author Nick Butterworth (of Percy
More about Mick Inkpen...

Kipper the Dog (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Kipper
  • Kipper's Birthday
  • Kipper's Toybox (Kipper)
  • Kipper's Snowy Day
  • Kipper and Roly
  • Kipper's Monster (Kipper)
  • Kipper's Christmas Eve
  • Honk!
  • Where, Oh Where, Is Kipper's Bear?: A Pop-Up Book with Light!
  • Splosh!