Start by marking “Urban Shaman (Walker Papers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)

Urban Shaman (Walker Papers #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  11,223 ratings  ·  625 reviews
Here, readers are introduced to Seattle beat cop Joanne Walker, who also happens to be a magical shaman with a penchant for saving the world.
Published December 31st 2005 by Luna Books (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Urban Shaman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Shaman

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Best Urban Fantasy
67th out of 2,811 books — 9,805 voters
Magic Bites by Ilona AndrewsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsStorm Front by Jim ButcherDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Best Urban Fantasy SERIES
47th out of 392 books — 2,134 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Ms. Murphy managed to do something I didn't think could be accomplished. She wrote this incredible story that seamlessly intertwines Celtic and Native American folklore and mythology. Let me tell you this is a book you don't want to put down. It is so vivid it's like a movie, but I haven't seen a movie this cool. Hollywood doesn't like to take chances on women in high prolife action roles. And this is definitely a woman's story. Joanne Walker is running away from her dual heritage as a Cherokee ...more
In general I find that I like urban fantasy, so picking this book up was easy to do. Let's get quickly to the positives:

There wasn't a single anthropomorphic cat-person. A+++

The characters were well written, but often rendered a bit simplistically. I quickly gained a sense for who the characters were without feeling they were too one-dimensional. B

The friendly roster lists a cross-dressing police detective. A+

Now for the downers:

Murphy periodically seems to be someone who is operating just beyon
Eh. I'm only going with two stars because I actually made it through it. In the heat of the action complete confusion and chaos seemed to be all I got from it. The protagonist wasn't someone I would rally behind... she was too busy being sarcastic or dumb. Either way it wasn't endearing. Plus I always find it hard to get behind a lead who wears pants w/ elastic band and a fanny pack. Seriously?
Feb 24, 2008 Seth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Seth by: Rachel
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
This is the book I've had more people telling me to read--all independently of one another--in years. It certainly seems like it would interest me.

The genre is a common one for Luna. Strong female protagonist, modern fantasy/slipstream with the supernatural element hidden from most people, and a hint of sexual tension or romance.

Our protag is Joanne Walker, an Irish/Cherokee crossbreed trying to go as mainstream American as she can. She's a Seattle cop by vocation and a mechanic by avocation, s
If I were thinking critically, I could criticize this book - and this series of books - to pieces, but for me all the books in this series are raw crack. I bought this book initially just due to idling around the bookstore and read it in 72 hours flat. The subsequent books in the series have been consumed, by me, in an equally addict-like manner.

Joanne Walker, as a character, engaged me immediately. I liked her skepticism and crabbiness immediately, and the character has a good "voice." I liked
Urban Shaman is the first in an urban fantasy series that may not stack up too well against ‘the greats’ of UF, but is entertaining none-the-less. And the series is finished, which is a plus. One thing it is not is Paranormal Romance. There is the slightest inkling of the beginning of interest between two characters, but that’s it. So if you’re looking for a UF series sort of in the middling range of quality that is not exclusively romance, this could be for you. (Although I can't speak for the ...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
The bad points outweigh the good with this book.

The good:
The supporting characters -
- Gary the taxi driver and Jo’s sidekick. My only problem with him was his age, I was unsure as to whether he would really be fit enough to keep up with Jo without stroking out.
- Morrison the police captain and Jo’s boss. Their antagonistic relationship was well done as was the underlying sexual tension.

The bad:
- Although Jo never fully embraces her magic she seems to automatically know what to do and when to do
Nikki  Peterson
Aug 21, 2012 Nikki Peterson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy Fans
Recommended to Nikki by: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Jo is returning to work after spending the last 4 months getting to know her mother before she passes away. Her mother is Irish and her father Native American. On her return flight as she is landing, she is able somehow to see a woman running from a pack of wild dogs toward a church and a guy waiting in the parking lot, of said church, with a switchblade knife. Once the plane lands she finds a cab and tells Gary, the cab driver, to head in the direction of the church. Gary thinks she is nuts, bu ...more
I really enjoyed this book. Though sharing a lot of similarities with the numerous other paranormal-detective kind of books I've been into the past few years, it had some noticeable differences to help it stand out a bit.

One of those: no vampires! Yet, at least. And not that I don't like vampires; I do, but it's not untrue that so many other books in this genre have, and often focus on, vampires.

Another is how easily people seemed to accept that something out of the ordinary was going on. It bot
Finally! It's over!

I can't remember the last time I got so annoyed with a heroine. Oh yes...I can! It was a couple of days ago when I was DNFed Heart of Stone, a book by this same author. It's clear that this author's ideas and mine don't match so this is the last book I'll read by her. (I finished this one because it fits two challenges I'm doing. Otherwise, I would have dnfed it too.)

The first thing that struck me about Urban Shaman was the similarities between Joanne and Mercy Thompson: both
Tami (synchro from BL)
Hm, can't really make up my mind about this one. I liked the pacing, the banter and the whole setting. The plot with The Wild Hunt was nicely done.

But it didn't 100%grip me - not like my favourite UF series did.

I am probably going to give the second installment a try, because I did like Joannie Walker. She seemed like a quite likable character.

I felt that the magic stuff came a bit too convenient and too easy, but at least it made for quick world-building without info-dump. Also Joannie had an u
This book was not for me. I have had this series on my radar for maybe 3 years but kept delaying starting it. I wish I would have started it 3 years ago, perhaps I would have enjoyed it more.

It is really hard to write unique urban fantasy and I think this may be unfair of me to judge this story as it was written seven years ago when the genre was less saturated. I find that urban fantasy and paranormal books which catch my eye and pull me in are not a murder mystery with the same type of formul
Holly Booms Walsh
I loved the first half of this book. Great characters, some very funny lines, nice plot set up. Somewhere in the last half, the plot got all fuzzy, the main character's talents were inexplicably good enough to whip the bad guy and she suddenly knew how to use them, and the ending didn't even make sense. What a letdown! I'll read another book about this character should one come out but I hope the sophomore effort is better constructed. It would be a waste of a great character if this is all ther ...more
A 3.5 really, if I’d read this book at any other time I probably wouldn’t have rated it quite so highly, but Urban Shaman gave me my reading mojo back (I inhaled it in a matter of hours at the start of a day off) and so it gets a thumbs up from me.

When police force mechanic Joanne Walker spots a damsel in distress from her aeroplane seat (yeah, I know, stay with me) she feels compelled to track her down and help. Enlisting the aid of an ageing cabbie on landing, she soon finds herself confrontin
Shera (Book Whispers)
Urban Shaman is what I like to call an “original” in the Urban Fantasy genre. One of the series that was out before the big boom. The blend of Native American lore and Celtic mythology is still something that is rarely found in the genre even after all of these years. The true testament is that 8 years after I originally read Urban Shaman I still enjoy it, and find to to be a unique story and concept.

Sure it starts of rocky with the main character Jo flying high in the sky about to land from a
Carolyn F.
Reread by audiobook. I also read the library paperback. This narrator, I'm thinking she might be the problem with this audiobook because I didn't enjoy it as much as when I read the book. There's a narrator change with book two, but I don't know if it's for the better.

Previous review on 06/02/10This is a 3.5 stars. The writing is okay. There's a LOT of similarities between her and Patricia Briggs' Mercedes books. A LOT. But this book was published before Patricia Briggs' so I'm not taking anyth
Overall an enjoyable read. A reluctant mechanic in the police department is moved to help a woman she witnessed being attacked. She finds a cab driver to get her to the location and meets the woman, opening up a series of events that change her life. A reviewer characterized Joanne as a "reluctant heroine," and that captures the character mood well. She ends up involved in the supernatural, discovering shaman skills after a deadly meeting with the Wild Hunt. I enjoyed the introduction to her lif ...more
Urban Shaman is the first book in the Walker Papers urban fantasy series by C.E. Murphy. This was a used bookstore find and I would place it in the win column (with a few caveats.)

Joanne Walker is a mechanic for the police department. Flying home after her mother's death she sees a crime being committed from the airplane. Her search for the victim leads her to a whole lot of trouble.

Where do I start? The good - you can't help but like Joanne. She's sarcastic, smart, tough and six-feet tall. I'm
I'm not sure how I felt about this story. Possibly deja vu? It felt as if the author had taken the part's of Mercy Thompson & Jane Yellowrock and tried to make them her own with a twist. In some ways that worked, in others the story didn't compare to either.

This story dealt with a cop mechanic who is part Native American & part Irish who finds out she is a shaman and has Coyote the trickster God as a spirit guide. Anything seem familiar yet?

As it is unlike the other two series, this one
As I recall, I bought this book because it fit my normal likes and I thought the cover art was beautiful. Beware of relying on cover art, the pretty ones lie as much as the ugly ones.

It took me two tries to get through this book. I'm not sure how long ago it was that I abandoned it the first time, but I imagine it's been years. So the second time around, I'm afraid it only crept up to average/forgettable for me.

For one the lead was a Native American mechanic who has Coyote as a spirit animal. Th
For me, this was a pretty good start for this urban fantasy series.
I found the storyline engrossing, and the characters captivating. The beginning was fast paced. I liked the characterization of the main character: Joanne Walker. She's smart, intrepid, funny, and with a tendency to clumsiness.
There's a promise of a future romance that i'll just bet will keep things interesting.
In this one, the future "lovebirds" were on the bickering, it keept things interesting. :)
The writing was pr
Got it by mistake from Amazon ( I though I was ordering something else entirely - we have a saying here "Night's Deeds are Day's Jokes" ). However it sucked me in after just skimming the first two pages. Celtic Gods and the Great Hunt is not entirely my thing right now, but I'm always a sucker for good story-telling. This author seems to be very good at it. I might even buy the next one in the series after I'm done reading this one
Infantile characterization, and a plot that fits it. The second half of the book felt 'wrapped up' - in perhaps 2 weeks of writing. The less-powerful and experienced heroine wins over the hugely powerful bad guy - for no discernible reason... Miraculous healing that even the author can't explain, etc.

Probably wouldn't read anything else by the author.
Mar 29, 2009 Christel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any paranormal reader wanting something different
Recommended to Christel by: Laura Stamps
UMMMM Wierd but an enjoying read
Maria Schneider
This didn't end as strong as it started. Let me say starting out that I'm not a big fan of "gods" theme. I hate it for the most part and avoid it in my fiction. There were parts of this book when I thought it would be a solid 4, but the longer it went on, the more the main character spent interacting with gods, demi-gods and on various planes of existence.

By the end, it was too tangled and involved too much celtic myths for me. Was a bit repetitious with the "I can barely believe this is happeni
A brief description: CE Murphy's new book "Urban Shaman" tells the story of Joanne Walker, the daughter of a Native American and an Irish woman. Joanne is flying back from Ireland after her mother's funeral, and from the plane as it circles Seattle, spots a woman running away from an attacker. Joanne feels compelled to help the woman, and by doing so, becomes involved in an exciting and fast-paced adventure involving being chased by the Wild Hunt and ancient Celtic gods, and coming to terms with ...more
Oh, I hate it when my stereotypes come back to bite me. Had it not been for friends' reassurances, I would have ignored this book simply because it carries the Luna imprint.

Shame on me. I almost missed out on a very dynamic urban fantasy series. And the first book has hints of romance (too many at some points), but it's certainly not the overbalanced romance with some fantasy thrown in that I'd feared.

Joanne Walker is on an airplane about to land at Sea-Tac when she thinks she sees a woman being
Not wanting to finish reading the Cast in Ruin series, I went back to another of my recent favorite, the Walker Papers.

I have to say in this second reading I'm finding that I can actually sympathize with Joanne. When I first started to read the series, I couldn't feel for her. Hmmm I wonder what has changed... The understanding of her character? Since I have already read 6 books in this series, that could be a big factor.

Joanne Walker who was born Siobhan Walkingstick (great name) discovers tha
2.5 stars but I rounded up.
This book was so/so. I think because I enjoyed the Negotiator Trilogy (rather, the two I have read so far anyway) so much, I had high expectations for this book as well. And it fell a little flat. It's not that it was bad, really, just not as good to me. I understand the main part of the plot is Joanne trying to learn her abilities but it just seemed to slow the plot down for me.
Everyone just accepting Joanne and being completely okay with her new found power was a bi
  • Staying Dead (Retrievers, #1)
  • Winter Moon
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Wraith (Zoe Martinique, #1)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye #3)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • The Sweet Scent of Blood (, #1)
C.E. Murphy is a writer of fantasy novels and short stories. She also writes "action-adventure romance" novels under the pseudonym Cate Dermody, which was her grandmother's maiden name.
More about C.E. Murphy...

Walker Papers (10 books)
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)
  • Shaman Rises (Walker Papers, #9)
  • Urban Shaman - Thunderbird Falls - Coyote Dreams (The Walker Papers. #1 - #3)

“In Ireland, you go to someone's house, and she asks you if you want a cup of tea. You say no, thank you, you're really just fine. She asks if you're sure. You say of course you're sure, really, you don't need a thing. Except they pronounce it ting. You don't need a ting. Well, she says then, I was going to get myself some anyway, so it would be no trouble. Ah, you say, well, if you were going to get yourself some, I wouldn't mind a spot of tea, at that, so long as it's no trouble and I can give you a hand in the kitchen. Then you go through the whole thing all over again until you both end up in the kitchen drinking tea and chatting.

In America, someone asks you if you want a cup of tea, you say no, and then you don't get any damned tea.

I liked the Irish way better.”
“I'm not a goddamned faith healer! I don't talk to God! I'm a mechanic and her goddamned engine was broken!
--Joanne ”