La Varenne Pratique

La Varenne Pratique

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Unprecedented in both scope and clarity, La Varenne Pratique is destined to become the essential culinary reference for both novice cook and expert. Written by the founder and director of Paris's prestigious La Varenne cooking school and compiled using La Varenne's extensive resources, the book brings together a practical understanding of cooking techniques, ingredients, a...more
Published September 17th 1989 by Clarkson Potter (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about La Varenne Pratique, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Varenne Pratique

See-ming Lee
Unlike most cookbooks which is about recipes, La Varenne Pratique teaches you the techniques of cooking.

Like The Professional Chef by the Culinary Institute of Ameirca (ISBN:0764557343), La Varenne Pratique is meant to be the foundation course for any aspiring chefs. Unlike CIA's Professional Chef which discusses many techniques which I find to be a bit high-brow, this book is suitable for everyday cooking together with advanced techniques that can definitely impress.

The book is broken down in...more
Sunny
Possibly the only cookbook you'll ever need (for Western cooking.) The photos are incredibly helpful. It details each major type of ingredient - such as lobsters - and tells and shows you the basic skills you need to cook it properly. There are recipes, but more importantly, it teaches you ALL the basics you need to cook every type of food from soups to souffles. With the basics at your hands, you begin to realize that most recipes you find in other books are mainly just variations on a theme. T...more
Nancy Schober
The only cookbook you will ever need. This was so helpful when I was living in Asia. I could just point at the picture of the exotic produce to the maid and hold up however many fingers I wanted to tell her how much to buy.[return][return]Everything is from scratch in this book so if you're the kind of person who seems to always find yourself living where you can't readily get processed food...or if you just like to know what the heck is in stuff this is a great cookbook.
Catherine Smith
Still reading but feels like a text book from school which is what I love about it. I like the small details about every step of cooking that help those of us who have not gone to culinary school.
Ruric Amhari
Excellent book - well illustrated with preparation techniques and excellent sections on meat, seafood and poultry.
Jeremy
Victoria, Travis's girlfriend highly recommends this book. I took a quick flip through it and it's priceless.
Karina
Brilliant book! Used it during my training at chef school and still using it. Very helpful!
Heidi
Sep 07, 2011 Heidi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Good French basics with pics and details
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Photo Eclectic
Photo Eclectic marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Hans
Hans marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Will Pennell
Will Pennell marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Marie Ortiz
Marie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Carolyn
Carolyn is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2013
Serge
Serge marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Darren Phasey
Darren Phasey is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2013
Nyna
Nyna added it
Aug 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Country Cooking of France One Soufflé at a Time: A Memoir of Food and France The Cookbook Library: Four Centuries of the Cooks, Writers, and Recipes That Made the Modern Cookbook Anne Willan: From My Chateau Kitchen Look & Cook Chicken Classics: The Ultimate Step-By-Step Guide to Mastering Today's Cooking- with Success Every Time!