Start by marking “Animals and the Afterlife: True Stories of our Best Friends' Journey Beyond Death” as Want to Read:

Kim Sheridan grew up with animals as her constant companions. Each time she faced the death of a beloved pet, along with the pain came the same questions, to which she could find no answers. Then, mysterious things began to happen that she couldn't explain, which led her on an incredible journey to uncover the truth. Along with her own extraordinary experiences, she compil ...more
Published March 30th 2006 by Hay House (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Animals and the Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animals and the Afterlife

Patricia Leslie
Feb 06, 2012 Patricia Leslie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal lovers,skeptics,believers
Kim Sheridan, a trained Naturopath and health researcher, spent six years researching and writing a remarkable book. I think it likely that this book will in some way permanently change the consciousness of every animal lover – whether believer, skeptic or agnostic. The writing style is lucid and accessible, and the contents are so compelling that I devoured it in record time.

The genesis of the book (recounted in the early chapters) was the author’s own journey from scientific-minded skeptic to
Sue
Nov 20, 2016 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirituality, animals
Full disclosure: I am a pet lover. I believe in an afterlife. (This is consistent with my childhood upbringing.) I believe that animals have souls that journey to another dimension when earthly life is done, i.e., an afterlife. (This is not consistent with my childhood upbringing.) I bought this book after losing a much beloved pet.

Given all of the above, you would think me predisposed to love this book as so many others have done (based on Sheridan's Goodreads rating and the fact that a sequel
Michelle Beber
Jul 10, 2016 Michelle Beber rated it it was amazing
When my cat, Pookie, died of cancer at only 13 years of age in 2011, I was devastated. We were soulmates on a deep, soul level. Life had been challenging for me, and she was always there to comfort me by putting her paw on my cheek, gazing deeply into my eyes, and softly meowing, "It's okay, mom. I'm here, and I love you." She was the first cat I ever had in my life, and we'd developed a deep bond. I always say that half of my heart went with her when she left the physical world.

Since I'd alrea
J.W. Baccaro
Jul 04, 2012 J.W. Baccaro rated it it was amazing
I adore this book! It is such a blessing to read, especially when one is dealing with the loss of an animal. I came across this book about a month after my beloved Meira (german shepherd/husky mix) had passed away, and it was very heart warming to read, and full of great and intellectual information. In my youth, I also, like the author, used to be a skeptic, but that mindset has long since gone extinct.

I highly recommend this book if you're dealing with the loss of a pet, or even for an interes
Carol Cassada
Feb 16, 2012 Carol Cassada rated it liked it
As a pet owner I was interested in reading this book. I loved hearing people's stories of being visited by the spirit of their beloved companions and how their experiences bought them comfort.

While I enjoyed the book, there were some parts that I didn't like. The author talks mostly about her Rat Rescue program, and I know she was teaching the importance of how rats are animals and should be treated with kindness, which I agree with. However, I felt she spent too much time talking about the subj
Christie
Mar 12, 2008 Christie rated it liked it
Ok, I think this book truely was a little out there, but there are some comforting aspects to what it has to say about our animals and the life hereafter. I am skeptical of the reincarnation aspect this book implies, but it does provide comfort in the way it reveals the love that exists between an owner and their animals. If you aren't an animal lover, you just don't get it. But, if you are, you will get that connection and love that exists and is special to all of us who love our babies.
Carla
Apr 29, 2010 Carla rated it really liked it
This book is an absolute must-read for anybody who is going through the loss of a pet. It gives you hope that someday you will see your beloved animal again (maybe even sooner than you think). She has collected stories from everyday people and they are inspiring and give you hope. I had a hard time putting this book down.
Cheryl
Sep 14, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This was a really interesting book. It gave you alot of things to think about. It also helps emotionally when something happens to our dearly loved furbabies. Just knowing they are up there being our little angels and that in time we will be reunited with them at the bridge in time, makes e feel so much closer. i really appreciated this book and its perspective.
Sharon Hart
The main problem I have with this book is this; The Bible clearly states to stay clear of medium's. and this book is full of it. I was hoping this would be a authentic resource for healing. I get the sense of intuition here, but not the literally listening to them talk to your mind.
sorry- I give it a no star rating
Jamie Harman
Sep 27, 2011 Jamie Harman rated it liked it
This book is good for someone new to the idea that the spirits of animals live on. But I got bored with it pretty quickly because the are just too many stories. It did, however make me realize that rats can be great pets and I would kind of like to have one. Unfortunately that would be kind of hard with my cats.
Yanir Dekel
Aug 13, 2015 Yanir Dekel rated it liked it
This book is 410 pages long- it could easily be half. Too many examples of stories who "happened in real life" some of which are ridiculous. The author "convince those who are already convinced" and the most interesting parts are HER stories.
Having said that, I learned a lot, and I DEFINITELY now go and try to communicate with my dog.
Sara
Jan 27, 2012 Sara added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I won't rate this book since I did not finish it. However, I found it very comforting when my pet died. I didn't have a lot of free time, or I probably would have finished it. But, from what I did read (first 10 pages), I enjoyed it.
Brittany
Jul 11, 2016 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't even finish this, it made me feel worse then before reading it. I was all short story's about the say thing and it made me feel bad because I wasn't experiencing any.
Jayme
Mar 27, 2016 Jayme rated it really liked it
If you have ever shared a deep bond with an animal, you will cry from cover to cover. Skip chapter 20 if you aren't a vegetarian, and don't want to be!
Chara
Sep 24, 2012 Chara rated it it was amazing
A great confirmation that what I experienced shortly after my cat had passed on, was real. Such touching stories. Thank you, Kim, for writing this book.
Debbie
Jun 12, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A wee bit too new age-y and judgmental of carnivores for my taste, but would be comforting had one just lost a pet
Terrie
Dec 22, 2010 Terrie rated it really liked it
A little new-agey, but a very comforting read at this time in my life. I pray that what she says is true.
Angela
Nov 17, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Overall it was well written. A lot to think about, thus can't rush the read. Kinda preachy at the end...
Alex Behrman
Jan 08, 2008 Alex Behrman rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
At first I was like, "this book is hilarious, ha ha ha!"

But then I was like, "why did I read 100 pages of this? What am I doing with my life??" so I had to stop.
Sandy
Oct 18, 2009 Sandy rated it really liked it
Kim Sheridan's life experiences and compassion for animals is truly amazing. This book provides enormous confort to anyone who has ever questioned our loved ones journeys beyond Earth.
Michele Fournier
Michele Fournier rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Kelley Snorklefoxie
Kelley Snorklefoxie rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Jennifer Casey
Jennifer Casey rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Nancy Ohern
Nancy Ohern rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
harold e johnson
harold e johnson rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
james c casanova
james c casanova rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Lisa Mae DeMasi
Lisa Mae DeMasi rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Tres
Tres rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Mary Nesbitt
Mary Nesbitt rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
  • Dog Whisperer
  • A Cat Abroad
  • Echoes of the Soul: Moving Beyond the Light
  • Whole
  • Life is But a Dream: On the Lake (Grace Adams Series)
  • Silent Thunder: In the Presence of Elephants
  • Animals as Teachers and Healers: True Stories and Reflections
  • Smoke the Donkey: A Marine’s Unlikely Friend
  • The Souls of Animals
  • Me and the Ugly C

“My logical mind simply can’t make sense of the ability to see things before they even happen. However, experience has shown me that there is a lot more to reality than that which is generally considered “logical.” 1 likes
“He was a dog, but once you get to know them and you look deep into their eyes, year after year, you no longer see an animal; instead you begin to see the depth of any human capability of emotion. It is given freely, and the wealth of comfort it brings cannot be completely understood until it is taken from you.” 0 likes