Start by marking “Animals and the Afterlife: True Stories of Our Best Friends' Journey Beyond Death” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Kim Sheridan grew up with animals as her constant companions. Each time she faced the death of a beloved pet, along with the pain came the same questions, to which she could find no answers. Then, mysterious things began to happen that she couldn’t explain, which led her on an incredible journey to uncover the truth. Along with her own extraordinary experiences, she compil ...more
Published January 15th 2006 by Hay House (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Animals and the Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animals and the Afterlife

Patricia Leslie
Feb 06, 2012 Patricia Leslie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: animal lovers,skeptics,believers
Kim Sheridan, a trained Naturopath and health researcher, spent six years researching and writing a remarkable book. I think it likely that this book will in some way permanently change the consciousness of every animal lover – whether believer, skeptic or agnostic. The writing style is lucid and accessible, and the contents are so compelling that I devoured it in record time.

The genesis of the book (recounted in the early chapters) was the author’s own journey from scientific-minded skeptic to
J.W. Baccaro
I adore this book! It is such a blessing to read, especially when one is dealing with the loss of an animal. I came across this book about a month after my beloved Meira (german shepherd/husky mix) had passed away, and it was very heart warming to read, and full of great and intellectual information. In my youth, I also, like the author, used to be a skeptic, but that mindset has long since gone extinct.

I highly recommend this book if you're dealing with the loss of a pet, or even for an interes
Martíe  Y.
We bought this book because of our cat Sherekhan. He has renal failure and not sure how long he will stay in this world.
Do Animals have souls? This book attempts to answer that question and whether it does or not it's up to the individual. This book does not turn "skeptics" into believers but it might plant the seed.
For the most part I found the book informative, easy to read and at times very sad. I am not sure if I believe everything she says but I am open to the ideas she represents. The stor
Carol Cassada
As a pet owner I was interested in reading this book. I loved hearing people's stories of being visited by the spirit of their beloved companions and how their experiences bought them comfort.

While I enjoyed the book, there were some parts that I didn't like. The author talks mostly about her Rat Rescue program, and I know she was teaching the importance of how rats are animals and should be treated with kindness, which I agree with. However, I felt she spent too much time talking about the subj
Christie
Ok, I think this book truely was a little out there, but there are some comforting aspects to what it has to say about our animals and the life hereafter. I am skeptical of the reincarnation aspect this book implies, but it does provide comfort in the way it reveals the love that exists between an owner and their animals. If you aren't an animal lover, you just don't get it. But, if you are, you will get that connection and love that exists and is special to all of us who love our babies.
Cheryl
This was a really interesting book. It gave you alot of things to think about. It also helps emotionally when something happens to our dearly loved furbabies. Just knowing they are up there being our little angels and that in time we will be reunited with them at the bridge in time, makes e feel so much closer. i really appreciated this book and its perspective.
Carla
This book is an absolute must-read for anybody who is going through the loss of a pet. It gives you hope that someday you will see your beloved animal again (maybe even sooner than you think). She has collected stories from everyday people and they are inspiring and give you hope. I had a hard time putting this book down.
Jamie Harman
This book is good for someone new to the idea that the spirits of animals live on. But I got bored with it pretty quickly because the are just too many stories. It did, however make me realize that rats can be great pets and I would kind of like to have one. Unfortunately that would be kind of hard with my cats.
Sara
Mar 18, 2012 Sara added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I won't rate this book since I did not finish it. However, I found it very comforting when my pet died. I didn't have a lot of free time, or I probably would have finished it. But, from what I did read (first 10 pages), I enjoyed it.
Alex Behrman
At first I was like, "this book is hilarious, ha ha ha!"

But then I was like, "why did I read 100 pages of this? What am I doing with my life??" so I had to stop.
Chara
A great confirmation that what I experienced shortly after my cat had passed on, was real. Such touching stories. Thank you, Kim, for writing this book.
Debbie

A wee bit too new age-y and judgmental of carnivores for my taste, but would be comforting had one just lost a pet
Angela
Overall it was well written. A lot to think about, thus can't rush the read. Kinda preachy at the end...
Terrie
A little new-agey, but a very comforting read at this time in my life. I pray that what she says is true.
Kristenemoody
Interesting but too long. Liked the stories but too much narrative in between term.
Sharon
This was a really good book. It helps alot to read this book after losing a pet.
Stacee
Some very interesting parts, but I had a hard time finishing it.
Sandy
Kim Sheridan's life experiences and compassion for animals is truly amazing. This book provides enormous confort to anyone who has ever questioned our loved ones journeys beyond Earth.
Laserone
Loved this book.
Daphne
Daphne marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Theresa Laughlin
Theresa Laughlin marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Tami
Tami marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Learning Their Language: Intuitive Communication with Animals and Nature
  • Seven Dogs in Heaven
  • A Cat Abroad
  • Silent Thunder: In the Presence of Elephants
  • Fixing Freddie: A True Story about a Boy, a Mom, and a Very, Very Bad Beagle
  • Life is But a Dream: On the Lake (Grace Adams Series)
  • All God's Creatures
  • The Dog Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training
  • Echoes of the Soul: Moving Beyond the Light
  • Fowl Weather
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • Whole
  • I'm Listening With a Broken Ear
  • Living with Death and Dying
  • How to Hear Your Angels
  • Blind Hope: An Unwanted Dog and the Woman She Rescued
  • From Ashes to Honor (First Responders #1)
  • Breakfast at the Victory
Animals and the Afterlife, Book 2: The Journey Continues (Animals and the Afterlife)

“He was a dog, but once you get to know them and you look deep into their eyes, year after year, you no longer see an animal; instead you begin to see the depth of any human capability of emotion. It is given freely, and the wealth of comfort it brings cannot be completely understood until it is taken from you.” 0 likes
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. —GANDHI” 0 likes