Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art

Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  311 ratings  ·  26 reviews
When it was first published, Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art changed the way the culinary world viewed Japanese cooking, moving it from obscure ethnic food to haute cuisine.

Twenty-five years later, much has changed. Japanese food is a favorite of diners around the world. Not only is sushi as much a part of the Western culinary scene as burgers, bagels, and burritos, but s...more
Published February 9th 2007 by Kodansha International (first published November 15th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Japanese Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Japanese Cooking

Lee Broderick
This is a remarkable cookbook that, more than thirty years after its initial publication, has lost none of its impact. Shizuo Tsuji writes polemically, intent on persuading the world as to the merits of Japanese cuisine and, given the rise and rise of Japanese restaurants in the West - and especially in the USA, whose language this is written in - he can probably be said to have largely succeeded. He also, however, writes prescriptively and, in that regard, he'd probably be horrified by supermar...more
Nick Klagge
This is one of the best reading-cookbooks I have ever read, and I have no doubt that it will also be one of the best cooking-cookbooks. From the '80s, this book is sort of an analog to Julia's Child's French cookbook--the first book that comprehensively introduced Japanese cuisine to the Western home cook, around the time that the largely Japanese-inspired West Coast fresh food revolution was going on in American restaurants.

The book is structured as a systematic introduction to Japanese cooking...more
Joseph
Bought this book when I was stationed on Okinawa in 1981. It has since been revised. To my mind it is one of the ‘classics’ on Japanese cooking.

The introduction is very well written and, among other things, it gives you insight into Japanese etiquette and why they, for example, make sucking sounds when they slurp noodles or tea. The Japanese are also keenly aware of the functional beauty of plating and while we were still eating with wooden spoons and our hands, they realized that you eat with...more
Mathieu
This book was recommended in Trevor Corson's Zen of Fish, so I picked it up at the library, and found it to be one of the best cook books I've ever read, in any tradition. Returning the book to the library was a sad experience.

Yesterday, I made my first Miso soup from the ground up, and after dinner, my wife gave me a copy of this book as an advance anniversary present!

Happy me :-)
Bookshop
This is one of my best gambles in Amazon. I can't remember how I stumbled into this book but upon checking out Amazon, I saw there weren't many reviews but all were amazed at how thorough and authentic the book is. I guess this one is a classic. The edition I have was first published 25 years ago!

This book tells me all I need about Japanese cooking. The writer conveys the spirit of Japanese cooking while acknowledging that it is OK to substitute as long as the spirit is there. The book is divide...more
Leslie
Mar 25, 2008 Leslie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who know their konbu from their wakame.
This is the 25th anniversary edition of an absolute classic - the first authoritative book for Westerners on Japanese cooking, written by the founder of a revered Japanese cooking academy.

I read most of this book but haven't cooked much out of it yet besides Dashi (seaweed/tuna stock; base for most Japanese soups) and Miso Soup, so I'll have to report back on the results of the recipes another time, but the reading experience alone is worth spending time with this book. It is beautifully put to...more
Tim
After wanting a copy of this, the ultimate guide to Japanese Cooking, for years I picked up a mint 1980 copy in a charity shop for £2!
Most countries cuisines have stars of their art, some lasting longer than others. Shizuo Tsuji is certainly a star if not the star in Japan.
No cook/chef who has an interest in Japanese cookery will be without this on their shelf.
It's daunting in size but as it covers every aspect of the cuisine it has to be.
Get a copy!
Matt
This is pretty much the standard go to in every Japanese kitchen I've worked in. I suppose you could compare it to Pepin's "Method and Technique" for French cookery or Artusi's "Science In the Kitchen, and the Art of Eating Well" for Italian. Pretty much anything you need to know about everyday Japanese cooking like you'll eat in the thousands of wonderful family owned restaurants (as well as some of those owned, alas by mega-corporations) in Japan.
Kathleen
this is the japanese cooking bible. it's beautifully and clearly written. i would love to cook my way through this book (except for the meat dishes), however, the japanese market in SB isn't well-stoked enough to really try all these recipes. this book is amazing--but you'll need to live in a big city with a good japanese market to really get everything you could out of this.
Janet
Although I wish I still had the copy I bought in Japan 25 years ago, this updated version is even better. It's a must-have for anybody interested in Japanese culture and cuisine. It is to Japanese cooking what Joy of Cooking is to American cooking.
Meaghan
I use this cookbook all the time. It's great for learning the basic and more advanced techniques of Japanese cuisine, and is geared towards those living outside of Japan, so has lots of useful substitution ideas for hard-to-find ingredients. A thoughtful and well-written book with lots of great recipes.
Rebecca Huston
A rather technical look at Japanese cuisine, but still the best. If you think that all Japanese food is just sushi and raw fish, guess again. This is a very good book, and recommended for anyone who wants to get serious about Japanese food.
AP
Fantastic, accurate, and authentic-tasting Japanese recipes. This is a bible for Japanese cooking. The whole book provides insight into the mindset of how the Japanese view their food and cooking.
Karmologyclinic
There aren't any photos but it is packed with information and the recipes are well-written. Everything is described with such detail that the lack of photos isn't a big thing
jen
This cookbook has great descriptions and recipes for very traditional Japanese recipes. I haven't actually cooked that many yet but it's been fun to read.
titi
The cookbook that started my fascination (turned passion) with the Japanese cuisine, and the introduction by M. F. K. Fisher alone is worth the price.
Jeannine
This book is beautifully written with a great respect to the tradition of Japanese cooking and also with a great respect for the reader.
Katherine
Comprehensive cookbook. Many detailed recipes and a good amount of technique - everything from fileting fish to tea ceremony.
Lydia
Glad I didn't buy this...was looking for more soups (only has 5). Spends many pages on equipment.507p.,c1980.
Robert
An amazing book, revealing the simultaneous simplicity and sophistication of Japanese cooking.
Fredrick Danysh
A good basic Japanese cookbook. There is more to Japanese cooking than sushi and tempura.
Nana O
I liked the easy recipes. I will definitely cook some for the New Year party!
Jeff
Life is too short to read cookbooks that don't have photos. Sorry.
Tam
Tasty, well-organized, but sparse on visual instruction.
Jorge Mario
si tuviera ilustraciones a color seria fabuloso este libro.
Matriarchy
I have the original 1980 edition.
Merlin
Merlin marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Thai Food
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore
  • The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • French Provincial Cooking
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • 1080 Recipes
  • Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking
  • The Fat Duck Cookbook
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
Practical Japanese Cooking: Easy and Elegant Furansu Ryōri Kihon Yōgo =Lexique De La Cuisine Française Ryōri Ni Kyūkyoku Nashi Furansu Ryōri No Manabikata: Tokushitsu To Rekishi Furansu Ryōri O Kizuita Hitobito