Start by marking “Best in Show for Rotten Ralph: A Rotten Ralph Rotten Reader” as Want to Read:
Best in Show for Rotten Ralph: A Rotten Ralph Rotten Reader

Best in Show for Rotten Ralph: A Rotten Ralph Rotten Reader (Rotten Ralph)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  16 reviews
“To thine own self be true.”

The cat show is coming to town and Rotten Ralph is hungry for glory – and desperate to defeat his perfect cousin Percy, whatever it takes. According to Sarah, Ralph has to stop being a lazy scoundrel and follow her regimen to achieve poise and polish. When the competition gets under way, Ralph pretends to be something he’s not, and fails. Just i
Published August 13th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published September 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Best in Show for Rotten Ralph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best in Show for Rotten Ralph

Erin Ramai
This text is published by HarperCollins Publishers. All of the previous Rotten Ralph books were published by Houghton Mifflin. Although from my ratings you can tell I enjoyed some of the texts published by Houghton Mifflin, the HarperCollins book is superior. Unlike the Houghton Mifflin texts, this book has endpapers which show Ralph swinging upside down, being buried by Sarah at the beach, stealing a scoop of ice cream off of Sarah's sugar cone, hula dancing, hitting Sarah in the forehead with ...more
Johna Brown
This story was taken place at Sarah’s home and school. It was about Sarah and her cat, Rotten Ralph. Ralph did not want Sarah to go to school because he was afraid that she would meet new friends. So, he did a lot of things to prevent Sarah from going to school but she went anyway. Ralph followed her to school and did everything to prevent her from interacting with her classmates but she did anyway. Sarah made new friends and so did Ralph. When they arrived home, Sarah was writing her friend-lis ...more
Jasmine Robinson
Sarah’s first day of school is today and her cat, Rotten Ralph, is trying to ruin her day. When Rotten ralph found out it was Sarah’s first day of school he didn’t want her to leave because he feels that she will make new friends and forget all about him. Rotten Ralph does so many different things to stop Sarah from going to school, but she ends up going anyway. So, Rotten Ralph comes up with the idea of dressing in Sarah’s clothes and pretending he is a student at her school. When Rotten Ralph ...more
Brian Breese
What? Rotten Ralph sets out to thwart all attempts made by Sarah in making new friends at her first day back at school, but to no avail. Ralph is threatened by Sarah's desire to make new friends because he doesn't want to be left behind. Sarah ends up making several new friends and adds Rotten Ralph to the list. She then reminds him that he will always be at the top of her list.

So what? Growing up and having a good friend is wonderful, but children aren't always sure how to share their friend wi
Garrett Ellis
A great first day of school book for younger students. It may help ease the nervousness of young students who's days are just not going as planned. It helps let them know that everything will be ok in the end!
Kaethe
More in the story of the abusive, manipulative relationship between a girl and her psychotic cat.
MMatchak
Haydn liked it.
Dolly
Nov 04, 2012 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I didn't really like this book, but our youngest loved it, so I suppose there's something about it that appeals to young children. The narrative was irritating and depicts deplorable behavior. The fact that he sabotages Sarah's efforts to make friends and fit in at her new school is horrifying.

The illustrations were comparable to other books in the Rotten Ralph series. Our girls enjoyed this story, even though I did not.
Katherine
When I asked Joey if he wanted to read with me, he wasn't that interested until I said I wanted to read "Back to School for Rotten Ralph." Then he said, "Oh, that's a funny one." "So you already read it? Well, I haven't. Will you read it with me?" Of course he would. <3 Samuel joined us, too, as soon as he realized what we were reading. I guess Rotten Ralph is a hit.
Mary
Disclaimer: I can't be objective about a book that recounts feline shenanigans. Harry and Pippi aren't as rotten as Ralph, but his hijinks certainly were familiar to this cat lady! This book is characterized by Gantos' trademark anarchic humor.

Recommended for confident first graders, and second graders.
Robin J
My kid loves the Rotten Ralph series, and this was an excellent addition which I think we'll be reading at bedtime again and again. When Ralph puts fish heads in Sarah's lunch box - hilarious! Stories with a very naughty yet beloved protagonist are a big hit in our house, and this was just the thing!
Chelsea
A great example of behavior and why some children may act a certain way. Would use on the first day of school to show that it's alright to feel a certain way sometimes.
Beth
Ralph didn’t want Sarah to go to school and make a friend. Ralph goes to school and gets in the way. He learns that he’ll always be her favorite friend.
jenna nims
though ralph is terribly mean, he is beginning to grow on me.
Erin
I love that Rotten Ralph is such an unapologetic dick.
Andd Becker
A naughty cat gets attention.
Trena
Trena marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Cari Towle
Cari Towle marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Deidra
Deidra added it
Aug 01, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
John Q
John Q marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jack Gantos is an American author of children's books renowned for his portrayal of fictional Joey Pigza, a boy with ADHD. Gantos has won a number of awards, including the Newbery Honor, the Printz Honor, and the Sibert Honor from the American Library Association, and he has been a finalist for the National Book Award. His newest book, The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs (2006), deals with twins, euge ...more
More about Jack Gantos...
Dead End in Norvelt Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key (Joey Pigza, #1) Hole in My Life Joey Pigza Loses Control (Joey Pigza, #2) From Norvelt to Nowhere