Start by marking “The Blue Roan Child” as Want to Read:
The Blue Roan Child

The Blue Roan Child

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  33 reviews
An epic adventure of love, trust, magic, and a very special friendship between a brave young girl and a remarkable horse.

Syeira lives in Haysele, a land of horses and horse-sensitives. Fate pairs her with the wild mare Arwin when Arwin’s two colts are taken from her, and Syeira decides to help Arwin rescue the colts. Their mission proves harder than they imagined, for the
Published April 13th 2004 by Seal Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Roan Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Roan Child

Amanda
I bought this book sometime in elementary school I want to say, and I just never read it. I found it at the beginning of the year and decided that I was finally going to sit down and conquer it and I'm very glad I did. It's a wonderful story of a girl who lost her mother and was raised in a stable, so she has a great connection with horses. There's a wild mare and two colts that are kept in the stable she frequents and one day the colts are stolen and the girl must team up with the wild mare to ...more
Topaz Goold
This book was a delight to read. The most powerful aspect was the vivid imagery Findlay incorporated into every page. Syeira was a thoroughly imagined character. Her connection to the horses was palpable. I find it hard to believe that Jamieson knew nothing about horses before writing this story.
As for pace, the story moves along slowly but an intricate story is woven and that makes it all worth it. It never gets boring and everything that happens to Syeiara connects with her past, present an
Pua
I bought this book somewhere around 2008-2009 when I was still in primary school. Then, I was gaga over books relating to horse stories. I happen to come across this book from my Scholastic Book Club catalogue and found it quite interesting. Usually, Scholastic Book Club's short description of their books are often misleading by a tad bit but not for this one. When I bought it, I found this book quite difficult to read because then it was my 1st time ever: reading a book with sooo much words and ...more
Elentarien
Very well written. Picturesque and engrossing.

My only real complaint about the story is it seemed to end very abruptly, begging for a sequel or something that would end it a bit more gently.

I also had a complaint about the writing in the sense that the author kept on saying that the horse and girl 'rode' here, and 'rode' there. Which really got to me. The horse was *NOT* riding. The girl was riding, but 'they' did not 'ride' anywhere. The horse was running and doing all the work. It was not ou
Alexandra
A very easy read about a girl and near, if not, magical connection to her horse. The conflicts resolve easily but not boringly and the whole book, while about an adventure, finds it's strength in it's characters and their individual tales.
Faith
Syeira is an orphan girl who lives and works in a stable. Her favorite horses are the Arva horses. One day Arwin's colts our taken by Lord Ran. Syeira decides to help Arwin get her colts back. " To the end of her life, to the last of dream of old age, she would always remember these two wild smells-the Arva horse, the muddy river-and how they had carried her out of a lonely childhood" (Findlay 12).

Reasons why I liked this book-

Reason 1- I couldn't stop reading.

Reason 2- I could imagine what was
Keeley Arnold
I re-read this book all the time, it is definitely one of my favourites.
Ashley
I had a hard time starting this book because I had just finished reading a very difficult work of literature, and it was hard to get back to reading something fun and adventurous. But once I got started, I couldn't stop. Action packed from beginning to end, this incredible page turner about a girl and her horse is certainly a memorable read. Although the pace is a little too fast, I enjoyed this book more than most other fantasy stories I've read. This book was fun, it was emotional, and it was ...more
Emily LOVES ya
I am truly surprised at the ratings of this book. I had to read it for a drama exam, and I hated every word of it. I banged my head against the wall repeatedly whilst reading this droning, mellodramatic excuse for a "fantasy page-turner". I found the main character a bit of a Mary-sue, and all the other characters were un-developed, leaving them flat and boring. The plot dragged on and on and on...Nothing happened to keep me reading( if I had a choice). A real dissapointment, I'm sorry to say...
Virginia
this was exciting and soulful and lovely. wonderful storytelling with lots of twists that were a little odd, but not forced:) If as his notes say, he didn't know anything about horses before writing this, he sure learned well:)
Hanni
I was torn between 3/4 stars on this book, because while I did like it, in some places it felt like the author was trying to fit too many stories/concepts into one. The subplots were intriguing throughout, but at the end I felt almost cheated when they were either ignored or wrapped up too quickly. Some of the language was quite beautiful, though-- describing the two colts at the beginning "They walked as though they could breathe through their skin."
Liz Yardley
I enjoyed the plot although I felt as if the Quest went on too long and the ending was too sudden.
It is well-written with interesting characters each representing something we need to learn about human nature. It is a book you can put down and come back to continue reading. For reasons above, I couldn't read it all in one sitting. I'd be very interested in seeing what Findlay writes next.
Madison H.
I loved how this was written! It was like I could see and smell everything! Wonderful wonderful! But what I didn't like was that all the women are good and all the men are either dumb or evil. But everything else was lovely!
Fiona
I loved this book when I was younger and going through my horse stage, but even if I didn't like horses so much I'm sure I would have still loved this story with the magic and adventure. A beautifully spun story.
Livvy
The Blue Roan Child is an interesting book as it is set in a mystical world with weird people and freaky places. It concentrates on one girl and it shows that everyone can do whatever they want to do.
Faith Fishcrazy
Aside from the word 'damn', this book is a enjoyable read, though a little strange, and rather graphic/bloody. The villans have an obsession with cutting peoples ears of. Some rather dark themes...
Denise 8-3
Sep 10, 2007 Denise 8-3 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like fantasy and have a great imagination
"The Blue Roan Child" was one of the first fantasy's I enjoyed through and through. Filled with love, compassion, willpower, hopes, and dreams, this book is one of my all time favorites.
Kathryn
An enjoyable children's adventure that could appeal to horse lovers of all ages. It has an exciting storyline, with vivid descriptions to set the scene, and plenty of suspense.
Leanna
A warm-hearted epic of a relationship between human and horse. Some very interesting folklore and magic charms. Very creative world. A fun, light read!
Alyssa
This book is one of the BEST that I've read! I LOVEd is sooo much. It might be a little young by now tho. But, its a really good book!
Lia
This book has wonderful sensory description for scents. Much of the book is told through the sense of smell, but it never gets old.
Capri
Sep 25, 2008 Capri rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bromwyn!!!
I love the flow and the images in this book. His writing is beautiful and entrancing. As a horse lover, how could I not like it?
Megan Gant
Loved the book, I have read it twice now. There are many nail-biting scenes! I just couldn't put down the book!!!
Danielle
A nice read that was beautifully written. I enjoyed this unique story and I hope to read more of his work.
Rachel
Exciting book. Ending was a bit confusing but the action started quickly wich is a huge plus for me.
I ADORE this book. Every time I go back to read it, I see something I didn't before.
Lexi
Everything I wanted to be when I was younger. An orphan on the run with a horse.
Megan
Amazing book. Definitely recommend to any fantasy lovers and horse lovers out there.
Jackee (Lilly)
Oct 26, 2008 Jackee (Lilly) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love mystery and excitment
I loved this book soooo much! there is a lot of excitment and it just rocks!
M—
Started off promising but turned out pretty dull.
  • Battlecry Forever! (Thoroughbred: Ashleigh's Collection)
  • Mustang Moon (Phantom Stallion, #2)
  • Shadow Horse