Rotten Ralph's Rotten Christmas

Rotten Ralph's Rotten Christmas (Rotten Ralph)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Rotten Ralph is not at all nice to the Christmas visitor.
Published September 21st 1987 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1984)

Kaethe
Spoiler alert: Christmas isn't entirely rotten, just a little bit
Mandy Hoffman
Why would I want to read a book called "Rotten Ralph" to my children? This book ended up in our home when I let the girls pick out their own library books. Abby and I actually read it and then had a good talk about how selfish and naughty Ralph was. She did conclude that he was nicer at the end...but why read a book that you have to have a debriefing over? We will not be reading any more of these.
Patsi Trollinger
On a day when I was depressed regarding just about everything, I checked out this Rotten Ralph book and found myself laughing out loud. It made me feel better just to know that Ralph had the chance to tie an irritating goody two-shoes cat to the railroad track (not to worry; Percy always survives). Maybe it's the art, but something about this series totally lifts my spirit.
Dolly
Nov 30, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
I didn't really enjoy this book all that much, but it has a decent message about jealousy and not being mean to guests. I can see the appeal to children, but both the narrative and illustrations seem too flat to me. Our youngest really liked it and asked to read it again, so I suppose I'll up my rating to three stars from two.
Kirsten
my kids didn't get this book - they're nice people and he's a rascally cat. they looked perplexed like "where is the moral lesson in this? what's the take away message about being kind to others?" but i love it - i guess i'm not as nice :) 5 words: percy on the train tracks. priceless.
Tricia
Ralph the cat is up to no good when Percy comes to stay at his house. He sabotages, tricks and torments the visitor...thinking that he is there to stay. But is he?
JoDean
Read this again this year.

Silly.

Ralph is rather a creepy cat but for Sarah, love is blind.

Every child I've read this to loves Ralph also.
Paula
Dec 15, 2011 Paula rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: pic
Rotten Ralph is just that-rotten! Percy is a good natured cat visiting, but Ralph was not informed. Still Ralph is rotten!
Mckinley
Maybe I read it in the wrong mood. I didn't like the story (themes are better handled in other books) or the illustrations.
Georgiana
Reminds me of someone.
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Dec 04, 2013
Lea
Lea added it
Oct 07, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Michele Cousens
Michele Cousens marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Jordyn
Jordyn marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Tray
Tray added it
Dec 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Jack Gantos is an American author of children's books renowned for his portrayal of fictional Joey Pigza, a boy with ADHD. Gantos has won a number of awards, including the Newbery Honor, the Printz Honor, and the Sibert Honor from the American Library Association, and he has been a finalist for the National Book Award. His newest book, The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs (2006), deals with twins, euge...more
More about Jack Gantos...
Dead End in Norvelt Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key (Joey Pigza, #1) Hole in My Life Joey Pigza Loses Control (Joey Pigza, #2) What Would Joey Do? (Joey Pigza, #3)