How Far Would You Have Gotten If I Hadn't Called You Back?
read book

How Far Would You Have Gotten If I Hadn't Called You Back?

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Valerie Hobbs's thoughtful, acclaimed novel in a new POINT edition.

When 16-yr-old Bronwyn Lewis's family uproots itself and moves across the country to sleepy Ojala, California, Bron is caught off-guard by the effortless cool of her new classmates. In order to make it in Ojala, Bron will have to remake herself. And so she does, putting aside her stuides to drag race, hang...more
Published December 1st 2003 by Scholastic (first published October 1st 1995)

Sherrie Petersen
This book really got under my skin! A coming of age story set in the late 50s, the characters in this YA have so much depth. Definitely a good read.
Catie
This book affected me more than i thought it could. The ending was shocking and so sad. It made me never want to pick up another book for the rest of my life. I have read many books since then (I got over the initial shock), but I will never be able to forget this book. I don't think i could ever read it a second time. The author did an amazing job of getting under the skin of the reader.
Kyle
Really caught off guard by how much I enjoyed this book. No one ever knows about it, but my freshmen year in highschool we were actually forced to read it. Incredibly moving and powerful.
Natalie
I cried whenever I thought of this book after a read it, such a good story that sucks you in and then leaves you breathless.
Kanny
Mar 17, 2013 Kanny is currently reading it
I , immediately , choose this book because it is about love and teenager. The title of the book really pulls my attention towards it. I am 16 and this book is about a 16 year-old girl that moves to another city and 2 boys like her at the same time. I am a teenager so I would love to read books about teen romance. I really want to know what will she decides to do with her life and her love life as a teenager.

I have continued reading this book but I am not sure if I'm enjoying it. The story moves...more
Nov 19, 2009 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: 16+
This was a surprisingly refreshing book. I was expecting a typical young adult book without much substance. However, the author manages to capture a captivating story with original characters and real issues in an atypical bildungsroman. Although a little sad, the story lines are addressed in a fresh and hopeful way. Definitely worth a read.
Cecy
This was great book to read. My sister got this home her school and I started reading. A sad story to read but definitely worth a read.
Cj
I never thought I would cry while reading a book and then I read this one. I loved it.
Grace
May 22, 2007 Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Adventures type
Shelves: prettygoodbooks
This book is slightly sad but has a fairly good ending....I like this one though.
Amber
i absolutely loved this book. Great story but a very sad ending.
Zainab
Zainab marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Nancy H
Nancy H marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Maile
Maile added it
Nov 16, 2013
Heidi Peters
Heidi Peters marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Ashley
Ashley added it
Sep 27, 2013
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Namhom
Namhom is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2013
Shannon Gambill
Shannon Gambill marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
YA romance/mystery 1 2 Jan 18, 2013 08:30AM
Valerie Hobbs is the author of many award winning novels for young adults including Sonnys War, Tender, and How Far Would You Have Gotten If I Hadnt Called You Back, for which she was designated a Flying Start author by Publishers Weekly in 1996. Hobbs was the winner of the 1999 PEN/Norma Klein award for an emerging voice of literary merit among American writers of childrens fiction and the Arizon...more
More about Valerie Hobbs...
Sheep Defiance Anything But Ordinary Minnie McClary Speaks Her Mind Letting Go of Bobby James: Or How I Found My Self of Steam