Start by marking “The Wildest Dream: The Biography of George Mallory” as Want to Read:
The Wildest Dream: The Biography of George Mallory

The Wildest Dream: The Biography of George Mallory

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The discovery of George Mallory's body high on Everest stunned the world. Yet behind the headlines, investigative journalists Peter and Leni Gillman sensed there was far more to the story than whether Mallory had reached the top. How did Mallory reconcile his deep love for his wife and children with his dream of Everest? Why did he make his final attempt when he knew the o ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Mountaineers Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Wildest Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wildest Dream

Sarah O'Toole
I got totally lost in this book. George Mallory is far more than the man who may or may not have been the first person to climb Everest. In fact, that's one of the least interesting things about him and the wonderful thing about this book is that it makes you admire him for who he was in life, not for the feats that led him to his death. I'll even go so far as to say that the book is much weaker at the end when it goes into the circumstances of the Everest expeditions. We lose connection with th ...more
Velvetink
Well researched biography, interesting to learn he was not only a mountaineer & climbed Everest but was in the Bloomsbury Set.
Aldi
In case my stream of flailing status updates didn't make it plain enough - I really, really loved this. My previous knowledge of Mallory's early life was sketchy at best, and these biographers did a fantastic job of putting the Everest legend into perspective, focusing on the life he lived, rather than the death that made him famous.

And what an incredibly interesting life it was! I adored reading about his childhood and his adolescence and schooling, recounted seemingly without omissions but al
Duncan Simpson
Well written biography of George Mallory, investigating the life of the man who disappeared on Everest in 1924 with Irvine in an early attempt to climb the mountain, creating a mystery as to whether they ever made it to the summit. But this book concentrates on the story of the man, and the battle between his love for his wife Ruth and his desire for adventure and danger, during the war and then afterwards, in his climbing exploits. A wonderful book which brings to life the contradictions and to ...more
Tammy
Mallory – the man who might have been the first to climb Everest... who mysteriously disappeared with climbing partner Sandy Irving in the clouds. Did they or did they not summit? The mystery remains.

These are the things we know about Mallory...but not much more.
It is surprising that one of the most famous mountaineers in history has been no more than a mere caricature – a one-dimensional character who climbs mountain “because they are there.” But authors Peter and Leni Gillman open the curtain
Olivia Wiggins
I found this to be a very good bio on George Mallory or anyone that wants to know more about the turn of the century culture, and the motives to going to Everest. I especially enjoyed how many first accounts were used in the book, especially letters as evidence. Really put a different light as to why Mallory would go up for a last crack at reaching the top of Everest and why it was so important to do so. One of my favourite books on my shelf for sure.
John G. Engedal

I don't know why I'm so drawn to George Mallory, but while reading this book I discovered that I'm not alone. It seems everyone he met took an instant liking to him. His undying spirit and true heart echoes far beyond his death and will continue to do so.

I knew from the moment I learned of him that I had to learn more about him, and this book exceeded all the expectations I had for the man.

The tale of his life is told well, filled with joy, spirit, surprise and love. One can't help but be inspir
Bev
I've read several novels and another biography of Mallory, and this book does a fine job of filling in the gaps in this fascinating man's life story. It patiently follows his adventures and adds the perspectives of his wife and children about being in his shadow -- very worthwhile read.
Julie
After reading a historical fiction version of his life, and seeing the new imax film, I read this biography to help straighten out the details of the story of George Mallory and the first British expeditions to climb Everest.
Heather Marano
AMAZING. I thought I knew him till I read this. You can't help but be even more amazed at what he and other mountaineers accomplished. I thought I'd read this book and not like him as a person but quite the contrary.
Maria
A well-written, well-researched biography. It presents a very wholistic picture of Mallory the man. Enjoyable, but only if you have a deep interest in Mallory. Not for the casual reader.
Abram
this is an interesting review of George Mallory's life and in a way brings the legend down to earth. not much about his climbing more about the domestic parts of his life.
April Thrush
So much more than just a climber and an inspiration but his love for his wife is as strong as his love for the mountains
Terrie
a good overview of M's life from start - liked the additional correspondence and closer details of the life
Maryjmetz
Excellent biography of George Mallory who did so much more than say "Because it's there."
Frogeyland
Wonderfully well researched and written...another book that was hard for me to put down.
Glen
Glen is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2015
Joebacca
Joebacca marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Kate
Kate added it
Jul 07, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Janet Maurer
Janet Maurer marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Hayden Dagley
Hayden Dagley marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Marguerite Breda
Marguerite Breda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Gerhard
Gerhard marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • Cherry: A Life of Apsley Cherry-Garrard
  • The Mountain of My Fear / Deborah : A Wilderness Narrative: Two Mountaineering Classics in One Volume
  • Mountain Madness
  • Stanley: The Impossible Life of Africa's Greatest Explorer
  • The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak
  • Everest: Mountain without Mercy
  • Addicted to Danger A Memoir
  • Conquistadors Of The Useless
Alias David Bowie : a biography Everest: Eighty Years of Triumph and Tragedy Collar the Lot! How Britain Interned & Expelled its Wartime Refugees Eiger Direct Duty Men: Inside Story of the Customs