Start by marking “Closer Still (Brodie Farrell #8)” as Want to Read:
Closer Still (Brodie Farrell #8)

Closer Still (Brodie Farrell #8)

“Bannister is one of the undersung treasures of the mystery genre.” ---Chicago Tribune

Although she has been trying to put her work, running a one-woman detective agency, on hold while she cares for her new baby, Jonathan, Brodie soon learns that taking time off is not as easy as it sounds. Not only does Jonathan have a rare disease that may leave him blind, his father, De
Published August 5th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Closer Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Closer Still

Karen
Jo Bannister has an impressive back catalogue to her name with over 20 novels now, standalones and in a number of series groupings. CLOSER STILL is the 8th Brodie Farrell book, released in 2008 with LIARS ALL the next in the series, released in 2009.

It's probably worth getting this out in the open up front. I'm not a fan of Brodie Farrell, and that's not just because she's one of those "gifted" amateurs who seem to climb over the backs of the cops. In particular, her "partner" Jack Deacon who se
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Dec 21, 2016 Jodie "Bookish" Cook rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review

Title: Closer Still

Author: Jo Bannister

Genre: Crime/Drama/Thriller

Rating: ***

Review: Brodie Farrell, owner of the Looking for Something? detective agency, and her choleric ex-lover, Det. Supt. Jack Deacon, compete once more to catch a killer whose crime has wildly unintended consequences.

Brodie has been caring for her newborn, Jonathan, who has a rare eye disease that could cause blindness. In the meantime, her good friend Daniel Hood has been running her detective agency, but Brodie
Scotchneat
Sep 06, 2009 Scotchneat rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I don't think I've read the other Brodie Farrell books, so this story is kind of in medias res for me. Basically, Brodie is a single mom and PI who is trying to take time off work to care for her son, who has a congenital disease.

The baby daddy is implicated in a murder of a local tough--Joe Loomis--so she is out in the field trying to prove his innocence.

Usually, I like the British mysteries for their attention to character, and this one has some moments, but I didn't really get the relationsh
Phyllis
Feb 17, 2012 Phyllis rated it liked it
I really like the Jo Bannister books but this one I liked least. A man is stabbed in town and makes
his way to Bodie's office where he dies saying a word that begins with the letter D. A great search is begun with people who have names beginning with D. Terrorism and drugs enter the plot as well as
a woman who had been involved with the murder victim. A lot of people are terrified and leave town
causing traffic jams in all directions. The fear of a bomb being exploded in the center of town
and the
Jamie
Apr 20, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, as I have the enjoyed the other few Jo Bannister mysteries I have picked up. It was easy to believe the panic that her town is thrown into under the threat of a terrorist attack, and to understand why the townspeople acted as they did. A good read, though not my favorite of her mysteries so far.
Joyce
Feb 09, 2014 Joyce rated it liked it
I enjoy all of the Brodie Farrell mysteries, although I sometimes get annoyed with the main character's self-centered attitude. The plots are usually interesting and I like the supporting characters.
Linda
Oct 04, 2008 Linda rated it liked it
I always enjoy reading the Brodie Farrell mysteries. I have to admit though that this was quite easier to put down then others. Sometimes thats a good thing though if you're busy. Of course, I always like series books.
Joyce
Dec 02, 2008 Joyce rated it liked it
A tale of murder, terrorists, bombs and a baby with serious health problems all set in a small English town. How can you not get wrapped up in this? I actually spent more time reading this than I have with much of anything lately because of a busy schedule. That alone says a lot!
Stacy
Aug 28, 2008 Stacy rated it it was ok
I was disappointed. Originally, I really liked the Brodie Farrell books, but they've become very repetitive. The author will not stop harping on the tragic love triangle. Overall, quite heavy-handed.
Jul 06, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
Drug out too long. Dry British literature.
Gary Van Cott
Oct 30, 2015 Gary Van Cott rated it liked it
As much as I like this series, I thought this book has the weakest plot. Some of the characters behaved very illogically and I don't think this can be justified by a neat explanation.
Monica
Dec 09, 2008 Monica rated it it was ok
not liking brodie so far.
not one of bannister's best.
Jane
Jul 27, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it
Great mystery reading.
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2017
Carla Corbin
Carla Corbin rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Edna
Edna rated it liked it
May 28, 2011
Peter S
Peter S rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2012
Karen rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Joan Gibson
Joan Gibson rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2009
Birgit
Birgit rated it did not like it
Jul 10, 2010
Cheri Rasmussen
Cheri Rasmussen rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Hilary
Hilary rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2010
Susanne Parsons
Susanne Parsons rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
May 17, 2012
Sue Bowers
Sue Bowers rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2017
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jo Bannister lives in Northern Ireland, where she worked as a journalist and editor on local newspapers. Since giving up the day job, her books have been shortlisted for a number of awards. Most of her spare time is spent with her horse and dog, or clambering over archaeological sites. She is currently working on a new series of psychological crime/thrillers.
More about Jo Bannister...

Brodie Farrell (9 books)
  • Echoes of Lies (Brodie Farrell, #1)
  • True Witness (Brodie Farrell, #2)
  • Reflections (Brodie Farrell #3)
  • The Depths of Solitude (Brodie Farrell #4)
  • Breaking Faith (Brodie Farrell #5)
  • Requiem for a Dealer (Brodie Farrell #6)
  • Flawed (Brodie Farrell #7)
  • Liars All (Brodie Farrell #9)