Start by marking “Hind Swaraj and Other Writings ” as Want to Read:
Hind Swaraj and Other Writings

Hind Swaraj and Other Writings

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Hind Swaraj is Mahatma Gandhi's fundamental work, and a key to the understanding both of his life and thought, and South Asian politics in the twentieth century. This volume presents for the first time the original 1910 edition of this work, including Gandhi's Preface and Foreword, not found in other editions. This is the first fully annotated edition of the work, and the ...more
Published January 28th 1997 by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about Hind Swaraj and Other Writings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hind Swaraj and Other Writings

India After Gandhi by Ramachandra GuhaThe Discovery of India by Jawaharlal NehruMedieval India by Satish ChandraIndia's Struggle for Independence by Bipan ChandraThe Wonder That Was India by Arthur Llewellyn  Basham
Indian History
43rd out of 102 books — 67 voters
The Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mahatma GandhiGandhi by William L. ShirerMohandas Gandhi by Mahatma GandhiOn Non-Violence by Mahatma GandhiNon-Violent Resistance by Mahatma Gandhi
A Great Soul
21st out of 29 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick Klagge
As with Martin Luther King, I found it very interesting to read Gandhi in his own words. Although he originally wrote Hind Swaraj in Gujarati, he also translated it into English himself.

In this short book (written in the form of a dialogue), Gandhi takes up the issue of swaraj, or "self rule." At the time he was writing, Indians talked about swaraj as the expulsion of the British colonial government and the establishment of an Indian government. Gandhi, however, takes issue with this definition,
Vijeta
Mar 10, 2013 Vijeta rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Written in Dialogue form, Hind Swaraj is very easy to read. It embodies Gandhi's philosophy, his belief in non-violence and passive resistance. Gandhi's view of life is very ascetic and although I've had great admiration for the way he led the national struggle for independence, I can't say I agree with all that he believes. Gandhi was a master strategist and an extremist to the core. His idea of non-violence and passive resistance is not cowardly as is popularly believed but requires a strength ...more
Rajen Shah
A perfect way to introduce yourself to Gandhi's vision, "Swaraj" is a term he coined for "self-rule." Although this is a book that pleads with his contemporaries, it should resonate with many. He is pleading for the individual to rule his or her self, before demanding a thing from his or her oppressor. With this, a society should work beautifully, from the bottom up. I don't remember if he says anything like this in the book, but it's helpful to read this with the understanding that Gandhi was a ...more
Hadrian
Read for class, specifically Hind Swaraj. This is in the form of a long dialogue about passive resistance, self-rule, right living and other topics which are extremely relevant. It is extremely interesting, of course, to read the most influential thinkers in their own words, and Gandhi is no exception. It is also of interest to note that Gandhi is aware of the naivete of his own goals, but still asserts them, even though he knows their 'Utopian' nature.

I do take issue with his criticism of *ever
Cari-chan
I only had to read a few parts of this, but I like that even though he's speaking of how India can be liberated from the British, we can learn how we as individuals may also be liberated, from any oppressor. Also, I learned not to accept modernity without a critical eye. This is hard, considering I live in a modern world. It makes me think about the motives of doctors and lawyers...
Paul Cato
Fascinating. Written in dialogue form and very blunt. Gandhi's thought is terribly misunderstood, especially his beliefs on nonviolence. His concepts on civilization bring me back to preachers of Negritude in the 1960s.

Recommended to anyone who believes they're a pacifist, sees Gandhi as a hero (most people have not read his own words) or wants to see Hinduism in modern context.
Judith
I read this book because it was required reading for a class. I expected it to be long and tedious and hard to get through, but it surprisingly wasn't. The dialogue format of the book made the reading actually enjoyable, and I learned a lot about Gandhi's position and role of that time period. While I didn't completely agree with him in all of his views, his views were very interesting.
J.H. Everett
Gandhi's position on passive resistance and his place politically in history came about because of this document. I was amazed that his clarity of thought was such that he wrote the entire document, without any major revision! What a mind.
Greg
One can't really talk about Gandhi without having read it, at least not intelligently. It's a magnificent read, honestly. He does make some points. Not many that most Westerners will appreciate, but he makes some points.
Nick
A must read if we are to change for the better! The editor enlightens the reader on true swaraj, the corruption of western civilization, and most importantly: self-rule! Written in 9 days on a ship from London.
Danielle
The many thoughts and ideas Gandhi had about India are very much so transferable to everyday Western living. He makes clear and valid points that are enlightening, yet also passive-aggressive. A true leader.
Belinda G
A very well written manifesto, though I disagree with many of his main points.
Spent way too much time studying this book, if I never have to read it again it will be a blessing.
Jason Gellis
I come back to this book quite often. Gandhi's classic Socratic dialogue on the nature of personal freedom, responsibility, and self-rule. I recommend it.
Abhishek Upadhayay
Beautiful book that takes you closer to Gandhi and the meaning of swaraj. Highly recommended for people who are curious in Gandhi's work.
Naresh Tanna
Awesome book if you want a good introduction to Gandhian principles..tons of reference to Tolstoy and his early influences.
Liz
Apr 03, 2009 Liz added it
Shelves: class
Taught me a lot about the national movement for self-rule in India and gave a lot of insight into Gandhi's movement.
Jahon
Extremely well articulated perceptions on the state, politics, peace, and revolution.
Stephanie
Brilliant. Parel's breakdown of Gandhi's intentions are more than helpful.
Nick
This book shows how much of a crazy person Gandhi was.
Shams Khan
Shams Khan is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Pradip
Pradip marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
RK-ique
RK-ique marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Hend Zamalkawia
Hend Zamalkawia marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
  • Sadhana
  • Anthropology and Modern Life
  • Speaking of Siva
  • Ambivalent Conquests: Maya & Spaniard in Yucatan 1517-70
  • White Fluffy Clouds: Found Inspiration Moving Forward
  • Why I Am Not a Hindu: A Sudra Critique of Hindutva Philosophy, Culture and Political Economy
  • All I Asking for Is My Body (Kolowalu Book)
  • Law, Legislation and Liberty, Volume 1: Rules and Order
  • The Silent Language
  • India: A Portrait
  • The Surgeons: Life and Death in a Top Heart Center
  • Selected Poems
  • The Invention of Capitalism: Classical Political Economy and the Secret History of Primitive Accumulation
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights and freedom across the world.

The son of a senior government official, Gandhi was born and raised in a Hindu Bania community in coastal Gu
More about Mahatma Gandhi...
The Story of My Experiments With Truth The Essential Gandhi: An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha) On Non-Violence Bhagavad Gita According to Gandhi(tr)