Start by marking “Hind Swaraj and Other Writings ” as Want to Read:
Hind Swaraj and Other Writings

Hind Swaraj and Other Writings

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  398 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Hind Swaraj is Mahatma Gandhi's fundamental work, and a key to the understanding both of his life and thought, and South Asian politics in the twentieth century. This volume presents for the first time the original 1910 edition of this work, including Gandhi's Preface and Foreword, not found in other editions. This is the first fully annotated edition of the work, and the ...more
Published January 28th 1997 by Cambridge University Press

To ask other readers questions about Hind Swaraj and Other Writings, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mahatma GandhiGandhi by William L. ShirerGandhi by Peter RuheMohandas Gandhi by Mahatma GandhiSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
A Great Soul
15th out of 29 books — 15 voters
India After Gandhi by Ramachandra GuhaThe Discovery of India by Jawaharlal NehruIndia's Struggle for Independence by Bipan ChandraThe Wonder That Was India by Arthur Llewellyn  BashamThe Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mahatma Gandhi
Indian History
53rd out of 108 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Hrishikesh
Oct 30, 2015 Hrishikesh rated it liked it
Mixed feelings, and none of which confirm with popular perceptions.

On one hand, I've been a fan of Gandhism (before it become fashionable to be so). What strikes me as being the most relevant is Gandhiji's insistence on improving and cleansing the self - premonition tells me that once the inner world is sorted, the outer world can go take a hike. Gandhiji's nuanced approach to several (most?) issues, emphasis on patience and search for (largely spiritual) peace resonate very strongly with my own
Nick Klagge
Jun 09, 2011 Nick Klagge rated it really liked it
As with Martin Luther King, I found it very interesting to read Gandhi in his own words. Although he originally wrote Hind Swaraj in Gujarati, he also translated it into English himself.

In this short book (written in the form of a dialogue), Gandhi takes up the issue of swaraj, or "self rule." At the time he was writing, Indians talked about swaraj as the expulsion of the British colonial government and the establishment of an Indian government. Gandhi, however, takes issue with this definition,
Zari
"I believe that the civilization India evolved is not to be beaten in the world. Nothing can equal the seeds sown by our ancestors, Rome went, Greece shared the same fate; the might of the Pharaohs was broken; Japan has become Westernized; of China nothing can be said; but India is still, somehow or other, sound at the foundation. The people of Europe learn their lessons from the writings of the men of Greece or Rome, which exist no longer in their former glory. In trying to learn from them, the ...more
Satish Bagal
Mar 25, 2015 Satish Bagal rated it it was amazing
"Hind Swaraj" constitutes seminal and most basic writing of Mahatma Gandhi. And yet there are important issues with this book that need to be understood in the context of Gandhi's practical life. It appears, and please mark my words, there is not enough acknowledgement that Gandhi went on changing with times. Especially after Gandhi wrote "The Hind Swaraj" and came back to India he continually evolved in response to his circumstances and challenges he faced.

Evolution of Mahatma Gandhi is one of
Bipin Singh
Dec 12, 2015 Bipin Singh rated it really liked it
Originally written in Gujarati, Hind Swaraj was translated in English by Gandhiji for wider readership. This small text is a scathing attack on the civilisational change that India was witnessing. It calls into question the dubious role played by lawyers, doctors and railways in ruining the bonds of society. Gandhiji himself a lawyer proclaims that law is a profession solely aimed at amassing money and aggravating disputes. The injustices perpetrated by the colonial rule were also the reason for ...more
Vijeta
Mar 10, 2013 Vijeta rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Written in Dialogue form, Hind Swaraj is very easy to read. It embodies Gandhi's philosophy, his belief in non-violence and passive resistance. Gandhi's view of life is very ascetic and although I've had great admiration for the way he led the national struggle for independence, I can't say I agree with all that he believes. Gandhi was a master strategist and an extremist to the core. His idea of non-violence and passive resistance is not cowardly as is popularly believed but requires a strength ...more
Abhishek Sayam
Sep 04, 2015 Abhishek Sayam rated it really liked it
Originally written in Gujrati, Gandhi himself translated it into English as the Gujrati version got banned in India. Basically, its a conversation between Gandhi and his interlocutor or a common man. It makes us understand the ideology of Gandhi. Why he had so much faith in non violence? Why he emphasized self reliance? why he opposed modernization? and many such questions get answered in this book. "A must read to understand Gandhi, his thought, his thinking."
Rajen Shah
May 03, 2008 Rajen Shah rated it it was amazing
A perfect way to introduce yourself to Gandhi's vision, "Swaraj" is a term he coined for "self-rule." Although this is a book that pleads with his contemporaries, it should resonate with many. He is pleading for the individual to rule his or her self, before demanding a thing from his or her oppressor. With this, a society should work beautifully, from the bottom up. I don't remember if he says anything like this in the book, but it's helpful to read this with the understanding that Gandhi was a ...more
Hadrian
Read for class, specifically Hind Swaraj. This is in the form of a long dialogue about passive resistance, self-rule, right living and other topics which are extremely relevant. It is extremely interesting, of course, to read the most influential thinkers in their own words, and Gandhi is no exception. It is also of interest to note that Gandhi is aware of the naivete of his own goals, but still asserts them, even though he knows their 'Utopian' nature.

I do take issue with his criticism of *ever
Cari-chan
Mar 19, 2012 Cari-chan rated it really liked it
Shelves: never-finished
I only had to read a few parts of this, but I like that even though he's speaking of how India can be liberated from the British, we can learn how we as individuals may also be liberated, from any oppressor. Also, I learned not to accept modernity without a critical eye. This is hard, considering I live in a modern world. It makes me think about the motives of doctors and lawyers...
Paul Cato
Nov 30, 2010 Paul Cato rated it really liked it
Fascinating. Written in dialogue form and very blunt. Gandhi's thought is terribly misunderstood, especially his beliefs on nonviolence. His concepts on civilization bring me back to preachers of Negritude in the 1960s.

Recommended to anyone who believes they're a pacifist, sees Gandhi as a hero (most people have not read his own words) or wants to see Hinduism in modern context.
Judith
May 17, 2009 Judith rated it liked it
I read this book because it was required reading for a class. I expected it to be long and tedious and hard to get through, but it surprisingly wasn't. The dialogue format of the book made the reading actually enjoyable, and I learned a lot about Gandhi's position and role of that time period. While I didn't completely agree with him in all of his views, his views were very interesting.
J.H. Everett
May 17, 2010 J.H. Everett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Gandhi's position on passive resistance and his place politically in history came about because of this document. I was amazed that his clarity of thought was such that he wrote the entire document, without any major revision! What a mind.
Greg
Oct 02, 2011 Greg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: academic, non-fiction
One can't really talk about Gandhi without having read it, at least not intelligently. It's a magnificent read, honestly. He does make some points. Not many that most Westerners will appreciate, but he makes some points.
Nick
Mar 31, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
A must read if we are to change for the better! The editor enlightens the reader on true swaraj, the corruption of western civilization, and most importantly: self-rule! Written in 9 days on a ship from London.
Danielle
Jan 11, 2012 Danielle rated it liked it
The many thoughts and ideas Gandhi had about India are very much so transferable to everyday Western living. He makes clear and valid points that are enlightening, yet also passive-aggressive. A true leader.
Belinda G
Jan 31, 2015 Belinda G rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, university, 2014
A very well written manifesto, though I disagree with many of his main points.
Spent way too much time studying this book, if I never have to read it again it will be a blessing.
Jason Gellis
Sep 27, 2009 Jason Gellis rated it it was amazing
I come back to this book quite often. Gandhi's classic Socratic dialogue on the nature of personal freedom, responsibility, and self-rule. I recommend it.
Abhishek Upadhayay
May 21, 2013 Abhishek Upadhayay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: enlightenment
Beautiful book that takes you closer to Gandhi and the meaning of swaraj. Highly recommended for people who are curious in Gandhi's work.
Naresh Tanna
May 21, 2007 Naresh Tanna rated it it was amazing
Awesome book if you want a good introduction to Gandhian principles..tons of reference to Tolstoy and his early influences.
Liz
Apr 03, 2009 Liz added it
Shelves: class
Taught me a lot about the national movement for self-rule in India and gave a lot of insight into Gandhi's movement.
Jahon
Sep 07, 2014 Jahon rated it it was amazing
Extremely well articulated perceptions on the state, politics, peace, and revolution.
Stephanie
Apr 29, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Parel's breakdown of Gandhi's intentions are more than helpful.
Nick
May 18, 2010 Nick rated it really liked it
This book shows how much of a crazy person Gandhi was.
Yashwanth
Yashwanth marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Arun
Arun marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Belove
Belove marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Bhavesh Sorathiya
Bhavesh Sorathiya marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • Power and Struggle
  • White Fluffy Clouds: Found Inspiration Moving Forward
  • Dada and Surrealism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Sadhana
  • Why I Am Not a Hindu: A Sudra Critique of Hindutva Philosophy, Culture and Political Economy
  • The Man Versus the State
  • All I Asking for Is My Body (Kolowalu Book)
  • India: A Portrait
  • The Silent Language
  • Law, Legislation and Liberty, Volume 1: Rules and Order
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma Gandhi, was the preeminent leader of Indian nationalism in British-ruled India. Employing non-violent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for non-violence, civil rights and freedom across the world.

The son of a senior government official, Gandhi was born and raised in a Hindu Bania community in coastal Gu
More about Mahatma Gandhi...