Start by marking “Bony and the Kelly Gang (A Scribner Crime Classics)” as Want to Read:
Bony and the Kelly Gang (A Scribner Crime Classics)

Bony and the Kelly Gang (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte #25)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Tucked away in the mountains of NSW is Cork Valley, inhbited by an odd lot of hard-drinking Irishmen. Here a government officer, looking for illicit "stills", has been murdered, and it's Napoleon Bonaparte's job to find the killer. Disguised as a horse-thief the famous half-aboriginal detective hitchhikes into the valley. But before Bony can spring the trap he develops a s ...more
Published September 1st 1988 by Collier Books (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Bony and the Kelly Gang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bony and the Kelly Gang

Jenny Karraker
I read these books many years ago and have since become good friends with some folks from australia, so I'm reading them again. Knowing more of the history and geography, I'm finding them intriguing. This one involves the hunt for the killer of a man investigating the illegal stills the Kelly family runs in a isolated valley in New South Wales near Melbourne, the new home of my friends who've recently returned back home. The descriptions of the valley with its lush green mountains, waterfalls, a ...more
Bony and the Kelly Gang is the 25th novel in the Bony series by Arthur Upfield. Bony poses as a horse thief trying to stay away from police notice when he catches a lift with Mike Conway into Cork Valley in the Southern Highlands of NSW, near Bowral. Some months earlier, Eric Torby, an Excise Officer “on vacation” and pursuing his hobby of geology, was found murdered on the road to Bowral, although the scene was made to look like a hit and run. Bony manages to insinuate himself into this Irish c ...more
Solid entry in the Bony (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte) series but I missed the Outback! This time, Bony is undercover in Cork Valley, a green & fertile place settled almost exclusively by Irish. During his investigation, Bony hardly makes use of his ability to read the land, using his ability to read people instead.
The loveable VALLEY OF SMUGGLERS was given this unfortunate new title when the series was reissued in the 1980s. Bony insinuates himself into a valley where the Kellys and Conways are in passive resistance to the over-reaching Australian government. Excise officers who try to sneak into the valley have a habit of popping up somewhere else dead, but Bony thinks he can blend into the population long enough to bring out one killer.
I found this not so much a mystery as a peek into the lives of some fictional back-country Irish living in Australia. I found the language hard to follow and the emotional dynamics even harder. I didn't really hate it, but I didn't like it enough to pursue more in the series.
One of the better books I have read in a while. Really captures a raw part of the Aussie spirit and it does this effortlessly. A perfect mix of picturesque descriptions and active plot development. I have moved onto another Detective Bony mystery.
Norma Druid
This one is pure fun.
ShayAn marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Jennifer Kemmann
Jennifer Kemmann marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Ellen marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Laurie added it
Aug 06, 2015
Veronica Heyhoe
Veronica Heyhoe marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Spillow marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Carmen marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Elizabeth Drakeley
Elizabeth Drakeley marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Bill R
Bill R added it
Feb 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A River Town
  • Far to Go
  • George Muller: Man of Faith and Miracles
  • Instruments of Darkness (Bruce Medway, #1)
  • Tirra Lirra by the River
  • Seven Alone
  • Walkabout
  • Beyond Fear
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • The Dig Tree: The Story of Bravery, Insanity, and the Race to Discover Australia's Wild Frontier
  • Maigret and the Man on the Bench
  • Thin Blood
  • Secret of the Scroll (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, #1)
  • Moonlight Downs (Emily Tempest, #1)
  • The Corpse on the Dike
  • We of the Never Never
  • The Big Ask (Murray Whelan, #4)
Aka Arthur Upfield

Arthur William Upfield (1 September 1890 – 13 February 1964) was an Australian writer, best known for his works of detective fiction featuring Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte ('Bony') of the Queensland Police Force, a half-caste Aborigine.

Born in England, Upfield moved to Australia in 1910 and fought with the Australian military during the First World War. Following his wa
More about Arthur W. Upfield...

Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Barrakee Mystery
  • The Sands of Windee (Bony, #2)
  • Wings Above the Diamantina
  • Murder Down Under
  • Winds of Evil (A Scribner Crime Classics)
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • The Mystery of Swordfish Reef