Start by marking “The Complete Poetry and Selected Prose of John Donne” as Want to Read:
The Complete Poetry and Selected Prose of John Donne

The Complete Poetry and Selected Prose of John Donne

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  2,645 ratings  ·  44 reviews
This Modern Library edition contains all of John Donne's great metaphysical love poetry.Here are such well-known songs and sonnets as "A Valediction:Forbidding Mourning", "The Extasie", and "A Nocturnall Upon S. Lucies Day," along with the love elegies "Jealosie", "His Parting From Her", and "To His Mistris Going to Bed".Presented as well are Donne's satires, epigrams, ver ...more
Published 1952 by Modern Library (first published 1929)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Poetry and Selected Prose of John Donne

Ken Moten
Ask not for whom this review tolls...

John Donne may be one of the best kept secrets of English literature. I never knew such a man could exist. A poet, writer, and theologian who does his own thing and has a hell of a vendetta against death.

This book gives us all of his poetry and a lengthy selection of his prose (which I think is better). I read this as a library book but now I know I will have to buy this book (hopefully the paperback will be an updated publication).

The book includes letter
Megan
Jan 07, 2008 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: Dad
Shelves: poetry, 17th-century
Um, it's Donne. There's not a lot to say without writing a thesis. I've read some of his meditations and sonnets and sermons but remember mostly just the famous stuff; Meditation XVII, "The Canonization" and "Hymn to God, My God, in my Sickness" to name a few. I particularly like the Holy Sonnets. I'm a big fan of 17th century poetry in general but of all poetry, ever, Donne has written some of the best. His poems are inventive with their imagery and intensely personal, though they remain true t ...more
Jessica
Jul 12, 2007 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
John Donne's poetry is fantastcally beautiful. I could live for days in the worlds his words create in my mind. The depths of emotion Donne has made me feel, and the questions about myself, religion, love, and loss he has forced me to ask, are the most basic, yet also the most profound. Donne is much more than his quotable texts--look beyond the island and you will find the man.
Becca
My favorite poet. His words are a sweet breath released after a turbulent day. He's witty and wise and romantic and perfect.
Patrick\
A poet for all time in the English-Refined Celtic tradition. Never disappoints.
Alan
Here's where I started, as a Freshman at Amherst College, an enthusiasm for verse I did not entirely comprehend; a classmate of mine, Schuyler Pardee, and I went to our wonderful professor, G Armour Craig, with a proposal: Could we perhaps translate Donne for modern students? He was genial, did not laugh
at us, though our project never got off the drawing board. Perhaps he recommended further courses, I cannot recall. What I do recall is that my classmate was one of the dozen fellow "poets" in m
Bruce
I love to read "The Good-Morrow" to Anna:

I wonder by my troth, what thou, and I
Did, till we lov'd? were we not wean'd till then?
But suck'd on countrey pleasures, childishly?
Or snorted we in the seaven sleepers den?
T'was so; But this, all pleasures fancies bee.
If ever any beauty I did see,
Which I desir'd, and got, t'was but a dreame of thee.
Casey
I got superduper into this poet when I was twenty. I love that some of his poems are so explicitly sexual, and others so religious. He also seems so sure about faith and redemption at one moment, and totally full of doubt the next. In this collection, you'll find a portrait of an incredibly thoughtful, passionate, and frequently conflicted man.
Kris Macnaughton
John Donne writes erotic poetry. I have an extreme love of old-timey sexual references so I love John Donne. His conceits are really well constructed, interesting and so fun. This is a great book for lovers to share, as long as both lovers are comfortable enough with themselves that getting turned on by a compass won't bother them.
Philip
I am reading this book as an anthology, and pick it up when I feel like reading some of Donne's work. I've read a lot of his writing, but not nearly all of it. He's the only author I think who approaches Shakespeare & I find myself re-reading many of my favorite poems he's written.
Matthew
This is my third attempt to plow through this book, and this time I'm throwing in the towel for good. I just don't get Donne. Maybe I need one of those critical editions where some smart person with an English degree explains everything as I go.
Colin
I like Donne well enough. He's more in my style in his rakish youth, and his later conversion to a religious lifestyle and zealotry doesn't impress me as much as some, but his genius cannot be denied even in his later years.
One of my favorite poets..."death, thou shalt die!"
Jesse Broussard
One of my top ten books of all time. Magnificent.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Mar 17, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry Lovers
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Good Reading: 100 Signficant Books
I'd read some poems by Donne before, but it's amazing reading all his collected poems and being able to appreciate how consistently good they are--at least the sonnets and elegies which stand up being compared to those of Shakespeare. They're erudite, but accessible, although the edition I read didn't regularize the spelling--and frankly I think you only gain in readability if that's modernized and can't see what you'd lose unless you have a scholarly interest. Almost all the "Songs and Sonets" ...more
Michi
A few of his poems were obligatory reading at the university - this is what I got out of it when I was done (with Donne):

A Valediction: Forbidden Mourning is a farewell poem. As a speech or a letter to say good bye it was possibly addressed to Donne’s wife. A Ptolemaic world-view is inscribed in the poem, as Donne writes about “trepidation of the spheres” and the “dull sublunary lovers’ love”, which is (unlike the love of God) unstable.

Love between man and God seems to be also a theme for sonne
Taka
Batter my heart, religious Donne--

No, I didn't read ALL of it. I read his "Sonnets and Songs," "Elegies and Heroical Epistle," and "Holy Sonnets." I also took a look at his famous "No man is an island entirely of itself" meditation (Meditation XVII), and tried to tackle his "Death's Duel," but gave up due to a sheer lack of interest in the subject.

Reading poetry is difficult. I liked some of his sonnets, but I don't think I understood most of his poetry. I had to keep re-reading the lines and so
Andrew
1. Loved the poetry. If poetry then was the pop music of today, no doubt Donne would be a celebrity truly worthy of decades of posthumous 'greatest hits' compilations. Moreso with the latter works.

2. The religious works... eh... he struck me as one of those fatalities of his era where Christianity, post-Renaissance ideas and an incorigsble love for archaic Roman Empire wordsmiths got caught in some real in flagrante delicto if you catch my drift. It's silly but if you want to know the mindset of
James Violand
Jun 29, 2014 James Violand rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: English poetry readers
Shelves: own
I confess: I read part of this book in 2008 and put it down because it seemed so difficult. The task of reading archaic English was daunting. Then, because I must finish what I began, I revisited it two years later and found it very good. What happened in the interim? I read a lot - A LOT - more and grew to appreciate Donne's obvious talent.
John Gutierrez
This is as good as poetry gets. Donne's themes are universal, his mastery of form and language is unsurpassed, the depth of emotion is astonishing and the amount of great work is enough to keep anyone occupied for years. I cannot recommend John Donne highly enough.
Gabriel Oak
Donne better than any other religious poet I can think of captures the competing enticements of the carnal and the spiritual. Although I've never loved the satires, the Holy Sonnets are worth rereading often and carefully. Beautiful.
๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ
John Donne is surprisingly underrated (among today's literati) for someone so astoundingly talented.
Stephen Hull
I'm marking this as read, but it's actually an ongoing project. Some utterly wonderful (and wonderfully rude) stuff in here and other bits that are rather monotonous and samey. I think that variation in quality is quite reasonable for a compilation of many things written over many years, however. Definitely worth having on your shelf.
Shanna
A hard but rewarding slog, I focused mostly songs and sonnets for my creative writing class. It's interesting the disparate interpretations we came out with, The Flea seemed blatantly obvious to me but others interpreted in a different way. Go and catch a falling star was my hands down favourite, and Holy sonnet 14 was an eye opener...
Tracy
Okay, look, they don't have my copy of Donne's poetry, The Essential Donne selected by Amy Clampitt, so I chose this one --

I hope this is a good copy of his poetry. It's not immediately accessible, but it's a way to understanding how rich poetry can be, how entrancing.
Craig Herbertson
John Donne requires care and thought; not a poet to approach after a glass of red. Nevertheless anyone who could write

'Off with that girdle, like heaven’s Zone glistering,
But a far fairer world encompassing.'

has a place in my heart
Lesliemae
Donne blows my mind with his poetry and allows me to consider being and non-being/essence and existence in ways that my body knows, but my mind rarely considers. You cannot simply read Donne's poetry you must feel it as well.
Wendy Murray
Donne's writing is dense and transcendent at the same time. You have to be in the right frame of mind to benefit from reading him. But, assuming you are (in the right frame of mind), then his work will stun and astonish.
Amanda
I have always been in love with his poetry. It is deep and it is real. I have continued to read and re-read it throughout my life. Will post a more thorough review after I have made it through this book.
Micah Neely
The only Donne you will ever need to buy. It's got it all.
  • The Complete Poems and Major Prose
  • The Metaphysical Poets (Penguin Classics)
  • The Complete English Poems (Herbert, George)
  • The Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
  • The Major Works
  • Complete Poems and Selected Letters
  • Collected Poems
  • The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Poetry and Prose
  • Poetry, Drama and Prose
  • The Complete Poems and Plays, 1909-1950
  • Poems and Songs
John Donne was an English poet, preacher and a major representative of the metaphysical poets of the period. His works are notable for their realistic and sensual style and include sonnets, love poetry, religious poems, Latin translations, epigrams, elegies, songs, satires and sermons. His poetry is noted for its vibrancy of language and inventiveness of metaphor, especially as compared to that of ...more
More about John Donne...
The Complete English Poems Selected Poems The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library) The Love Poems John Donne - The Major Works: Including Songs and Sonnets and Sermons

“No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face."

[The Autumnal]”
394 likes
“Yet nothing can to nothing fall,
Nor any place be empty quite;
Therefore I think my breast hath all
Those pieces still, though they be not unite;
And now, as broken glasses show
A hundred lesser faces, so
My rags of heart can like, wish, and adore,
But after one such love, can love no more.”
131 likes