Start by marking “Climb to Conquer: The Untold Story of WWII's 10th Mountain Division Ski Troops” as Want to Read:
Climb to Conquer: The Untold Story of WWII's 10th Mountain Division Ski Troops

Climb to Conquer: The Untold Story of WWII's 10th Mountain Division Ski Troops

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Few stories from the "greatest generation" are as unforgettable -- or as little known -- as that of the 10th Mountain Division. Today a versatile light infantry unit deployed around the world, the 10th began in 1941 as a crew of civilian athletes with a passion for mountains and snow. In this vivid history, adventure writer Peter Shelton follows the unique division from it ...more
Published October 7th 2003 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Climb to Conquer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Climb to Conquer

Kenneth Barber
Feb 07, 2016 Kenneth Barber rated it really liked it
This book details the idea of and the formation of the 10 th Mountain Division in WWll. The idea of a division that was trained to fight on skis was a hard sell to the army. Using the experience of the Finns in their fight against the Russians, the idea was finally accepted. The first training area was at Mt Ranier, but a camp was soon built in Colorado and named Camp Hale. The first members were skiers from around the country and from Europe. The book traces the training they received and their ...more
Miles
Dec 19, 2013 Miles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Climb to Counquer by Peter Shelton

Review by Miles Dempsey

You know skiing as gracefully gliding down hills. They know skiing as dodging bullets at every turn in the night evading Germans on the mountain and did I mention that they were behind enemy lines. This is the story of the 10th mountain division who were a highly elite group of solders who fought in WW2.
The 10th started out as no more than a ski club(no more than a ski club) the founder thought that the army needed a mountain division.
Cecelia Hightower
(Lonnie) When I was in high school I had an art teacher by the name of Dave Skidmore, he told me many stories of his adventures with the Army's 10th mountain division WW-2. I have had an interest in the 10th mt. division from way back then. I came across a book on E-bay titled "Climb To Conquer" by Peter Shelton the Author. I found it to be an easy read, and actually couldn't put it down. The book came from Goodwill in Seattle, used for 5 bucks, wow! what a deal. It follows the story of one man ...more
Ranger
Nov 03, 2011 Ranger rated it really liked it
Climb to Conquer: The Untold Story of WWII's 10th Mountain Division Ski Troops is as the title suggests the telling of the story if the United States Army’s 10th Mountain Division and their roughly 150 day deployment in World War 2. Initially the book sucks you in very quickly with a telling of a reconnaissance mission the 10th division took on. “The sun was nearly up. Jennings flung his BAR on his back and pushed off down the hill, skating and poling as fast as he could… He then saw machine gun ...more
Craig Fiebig
May 31, 2015 Craig Fiebig rated it really liked it
Fascinated to read the history of Alec and Nate Moran's first unit. Incredible group of men who's love of the outdoors and considerable courage helped them return from WW II. They created the U.S. ski and recreational climbing communities and industries but also founded or ran organizations as diverse as Sierra Club, Friends of the Earth, Outward Bound and NOLS. An amazing heritage. Happy for and proud that Alec and Nate will join the 10th Mountain after completing the next phases of training.
Melissa Whittinghill
Sep 04, 2014 Melissa Whittinghill rated it it was ok
Inspired by my last trip to Vail, I wanted to read about the 10th Mountain Division which trained in Vail Valley during WWII. The book was ok - the war details got old for me. I bummed to learn the troops ski skills were not used in the war, but their mountaineering skills were when they captured a key mountain in Italy. More profound is the impacts these veterans made after the war - founding many famous resorts (Vail, Aspen, etc), founding Nike, and advocating for wilderness conservation.
Eugene Miya
Aug 07, 2015 Eugene Miya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly better than average.

I should put the progress notes here.

A friend was 87-K at Kiska. This is the first 10th Mtn book that I've seen which mentions Morley Nelson (+). Unlike other books and documentaries I've seen, this one is brutely honest about about its friendly fire incidents ("This outfit will never see combat..."), accidents, and short time in theater. I'm using it for background on some historic issues of one of its fallen.
Julia Smith
Mar 28, 2014 Julia Smith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History and World War II readers
Wonderful history of the 10th Mountain Division Ski Troops of WWII. History/WWII buffs should read this. I am using it for research. Thanks, Peter Shelton, for your work.
Presence Bissonette
May 24, 2013 Presence Bissonette rated it really liked it
Being a soldier of the 10th Mountain it was really neat to read the beginnings of my Division, the prestigious vetrans that served during WWII. To know about their inital training. I laughed, because while things have certainly changed, some things never do. Like the men testing out tents that are basically unusable, yet the Army ordering 40,000 (some number like that) of them. And the men hating the training problem so taking their socks and shoes off and standing in the snow to get frostbite s ...more
Kathy Young
Jan 31, 2015 Kathy Young rated it liked it
Interesting read because of my affiliation with the National Ski Patrol. The ski industry wouldn't be what it is today without the 10th Mountain Division!
Becca Brito
Jul 24, 2015 Becca Brito rated it liked it
Very interesting. Very detailed...some parts unnecessarily. I'm giving it three stars only because I found myself having to push myself a little to finish it but that says more about my personal taste than about the quality of the book.
Charles
Nov 13, 2012 Charles rated it really liked it
2 stories in one: 1. Great micro coverage of the WW II push through the mountains of Italy and 2. The post WW II development of the ski industry.

An enjoyable read.
Jake
Apr 08, 2008 Jake rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. WWII's 10th Mountain Division did amazing things and when they came home they changed the ski industry. I highly recommend this book.
Katharine Creedon
Apr 23, 2015 Katharine Creedon rated it really liked it
Great history of the evolution of the ski industry and how it was influenced by these few brave men.
Evan
Mar 17, 2009 Evan added it
this was a very comprihensive book
Chandler Parker
Chandler Parker marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Rica
Rica marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Will Thibeault
Will Thibeault marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Nikki Berlin
Nikki Berlin marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
yoyo k
yoyo k marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Pat Belding
Pat Belding rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
R.e. Mitchell
R.e. Mitchell rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Darcee
Darcee marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
  • At Leningrad's Gates: The Combat Memoirs of a Soldier with Army Group North
  • Himmler
  • The Voyage
  • Discovering the Rommel Murder
  • Where the Sea Breaks Its Back: The Epic Story - Georg Steller & the Russian Exploration of AK
  • Reading the Holocaust
  • Rescue Warriors: The U.S. Coast Guard, America's Forgotten Heroes
  • The Art of War (Smithsonian History of Warfare): War and Military Thought
  • Nazi Terror: The Gestapo, Jews, and Ordinary Germans
  • Among Grizzlies: Living with Wild Bears in Alaska
  • War at the Top of the World: The Struggle for Afghanistan, Kashjmir and Tibet (Revised & Updated)
  • Fascism