Start by marking “Sammy Keyes And The Skeleton Man” as Want to Read:
Sammy Keyes And The Skeleton Man

Sammy Keyes And The Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,818 ratings  ·  84 reviews
"The most winning junior detective ever in teen lit. (Take that, Nancy Drew!)" —Midwest Children's Book Review

After the skeleton plows them over, Sammy and her friends look to see what he was running from. That's when they find Frankenstein tied to a chair. Someone's taking "trick or treat" way too far!

When Sammy starts to dig into what really happened Halloween night, she
172 pages
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Sammy Keyes And The Skeleton Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy Keyes And The Skeleton Man

Once again, I have the paperback that has this sweet cover rather than the more kiddy covers, but the site only shows it as the Kindle or audio edition.

It's a great story. Of course, it's a little coincidental that another crazy mystery falls in Sammy's lap, but it's fun. The characters are great.

My only qualm is that Sammy technically breaks the law when she finds the evidence at the climax and when she gets back at Heather for her jerkiness. It's fun and we root for her, but I wonder if she w
I loved this book! It was funny and exciting.
Sammy Keyes is a 7th grader. She lives illegally in her Gram's (grandma's) apartment at the highrise rest home. She has two friends: Dot and Marissa.
She always has to put up with a snobby, red-headed (no offense I'm one myself), popular, girl named Heather Acosta.

Hurtful Heather decides to pull a prank on Sammy, by calling a boy named Jared and saying embarrassing things about how much she loves him, while pretending to be Sammy. Jared's girlfriend doesn't like that one bit and gets really mad

If you’re a mystery reader you should read the exciting book written by Wendeline Van Drannen, called Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man. Sammy Keyes has to solve the difficult and dangerous mystery of the bushman. She is a normal school girl who always hangs out with her friends called Marrissa and Dot. On Halloween night they stumble into the Bush man’s house; a haunted house, It is said that if someone goes and knocks on the door of the house, the Bush man will jump out and kill him...
I think
Jasmine Duong

EVEN BETTER. I'm so in love with the old dude named Chauncy. Weird, but I do. He is such a gentlemen. :3

Heather Acosta is just getting on my nerves. I mean she's been, but let me tell you something. She is just a terrible girl and I, one day, hope she just realizes that and changes herself. I don't even want to involve myself with her, so why keep reading this series. WELL CAUSE SAMMY IS SUCH AN AMAZING CHARACTER. AND THIS SERIES IS THEEEEEE BEST.
Mark Flowers
Sammy and her friends are only going up to the “haunted” Bush House to knock on the door as a goof. But when a man dressed in a skeleton costume runs into them as they approach the house, they quickly discover that they’ve stumbled on a crime scene. The owner of the house, the reclusive “Bush Man” has been tied up, and the carpet is on fire. But with nothing apparently missing from the house, Sammy must figure out not only who broke in, but why. Although the first book in this series, Sammy Keye ...more
My kiddos loved this book as a read a loud. They would beg everyday for me to keep going. Good suspense and mystery for 4th graders. I love Sammy Keyes!
This was a very cute book. I enjoyed the story line. My daughter read this book when she was in middle school.

The story starts out on Halloween. Sammy, Marissa and Dot are getting ready for trick or treat. Sammy's Gram thinks she is too old for dressing up. The girls decide to knock on a house that is considered scary. As the girls are on there way to the house they are run down by a man in a skeleton costume.

That is the set up for a very adventurous story. There are more teenage going ons in t
Sammy is run over by a skeleton on Halloween. She finds a fire set in a building, and an injured man, leading to a mystery to solve.
Amanda Weaver
Another great mystery adventure in the Sammy Keyes series. So glad we found this series. We are eating it up.
Not as strong of a mystery as the later titles I've already read.
Narjis Tahir
It's awesome!!! I love the entire series!
it was awesome read it too find out more
I liked this story but it want't too thrilling/exciting.
Another quick, fun read
Super scary and long
For younger folks than the YA I usually listen to, but fun.
trick or treat!sammy and her friends are out trick or treating.aww!a skeleton man just bump me they were just walking up to a scary house.Then the door cracks open and sammy decided to go in.Then she turns the corner and a man with a frankonstein maskis tied up to a chair then her friends scream and ran out the door.No she says stay he needs help.So her friends stay sammy is untieing the rope and.....if you want to find out what happens to sammy and her friends read Sammy Keyes and the skeleton ...more
This is the book that started it all for me. My 5th grade teacher read this book to our class, and I fell in love with it (and then proceeded to read every other book in the series over the last 15 years). This still remains one of my favorite books in the series. The mystery has a great combination of creepy-ness and puzzling, and the plot line of Sammy at school includes some of my favorite Sammy moments (great attitude, great ideas, and tons of humor).
Steve Clark
The second in the series is a worthwhile followup to the first. Great if you are looking for a quick, easy read with a good, fun mystery. Van Draanen's characters are sharp and fun, and they feel real in their own contradictions. Sammy's arch-enemy Heather might be a tad one-dimensional, but one can easily accept that as consistent with the way Sammy would see and react to her, rather than as a failing of the author.
It's Halloween and Sammy and her friends went trick or treating. They come across a crime scene where a man in a skeleton costume robbed a person and ran. Sammy Keyes tries to solve this mystery as to who the skeleton man is.
This book is one of my favorite books about Sammy Keyes because it is more mysterious and includes more detective work. I recommend this book to anyone who likes mysteries.
Teri Gorleski
O my god I about had a heart attack when it said that "and the reason Im screaming is beacause right there sitting in the chair with his head bloody and twisted around was frankenstien". Well I didnt believe it but really just picture it. I just love the way Wendalin Van Draanen described Sammy,Marissa and Dot's reaction. I felt like it was happpening to me too. It was just a amazing book! Worood
Frankie Gearheard
All of these books are great for children ages 8-13,Van Draanen does a great job of executing an appropriate mystery novel that will get kids excited about reading. But if you really want to challenge yourself as a reader, I wouldn't recommend these books for you. If your just looking for something to sit down and enjoy, than these are great novels to read!
I remember three things about this book: Sammy Keyes's costume of choice is a swamp monster; she's willing to dress up as a princess if it means taking down Heather; and Heather had a rug made out of a cow hide that she used to think was cool, but doesn't anymore. Oh, and I also remember liking it, but I don't remember what the mystery was.
Brilliant as ever. I think there's no Sammy Keyes book that has disappointed me yet. You will definitely love how light it is despite the fact that there's a lot of mystery going on in the plot. The mix of humor and the serious side is really great and worth the read. Children, teens, and even adults will love reading this. Two thumbs up!
This book is kinda creepy..The book is about sammy(the main character)and her friends are out trick or treating but when they are going from house to house they find a man tied up in an empty old house.Sammy and her friends all scream and run but sammy turns back and un-ties the man.See what happens to her...
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • The Big Splash
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)
  • Georgia's Greatness (Sisters Eight, #3)
  • Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws
  • Cliff-Hanger (Mysteries in Our National Park #3)
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • Murder on the Fourth of July (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #28)
  • Behind the Curtain (Echo Falls, #2)
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Looking for Me
  • The School Story
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influe ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...

Sammy Keyes (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things (Sammy Keyes, #11)
Flipped The Running Dream Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief Runaway Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)