Start by marking “Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)

Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,946 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
"The most winning junior detective ever in teen lit. (Take that, Nancy Drew!)" —Midwest Children's Book Review

After the skeleton plows them over, Sammy and her friends look to see what he was running from. That's when they find Frankenstein tied to a chair. Someone's taking "trick or treat" way too far!

When Sammy starts to dig into what really happened Halloween night, she
Paperback
Published January 11th 2003 by Scholastic (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinFrom the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. SobolHarriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
Best Mysteries for Young Readers
38th out of 197 books — 307 voters
Gilda Joyce by Jennifer AllisonGilda Joyce by Jennifer AllisonGilda Joyce by Jennifer AllisonGilda Joyce by Jennifer AllisonThe Mystery of the Third Lucretia by Susan Runholt
Fave Juvenile Mysteries
6th out of 43 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Matisse
Oct 29, 2015 Matisse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying follow-up. I'm realizing that the cartooniness in these books is exactly what appealed to me in the games I was playing as a young-un. I spent a decade trying to find out how tropes in MegaMan Battle Network and EarthBound might work on the page; Van Draanen was waiting for me to discover her answer.

Fom a writer standpoint, it's interesting to see how Van Draanen weaves series elements into her sequel. The previous title was a fine stand-alone, and, though this volume retains that
Patrick
Once again, I have the paperback that has this sweet cover rather than the more kiddy covers, but the site only shows it as the Kindle or audio edition.

It's a great story. Of course, it's a little coincidental that another crazy mystery falls in Sammy's lap, but it's fun. The characters are great.

My only qualm is that Sammy technically breaks the law when she finds the evidence at the climax and when she gets back at Heather for her jerkiness. It's fun and we root for her, but I wonder if she w
Harold
Nov 25, 2013 Harold rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was funny and exciting.
Hallie
Oct 25, 2011 Hallie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sammy Keyes is a 7th grader. She lives illegally in her Gram's (grandma's) apartment at the highrise rest home. She has two friends: Dot and Marissa.
She always has to put up with a snobby, red-headed (no offense I'm one myself), popular, girl named Heather Acosta.

Hurtful Heather decides to pull a prank on Sammy, by calling a boy named Jared and saying embarrassing things about how much she loves him, while pretending to be Sammy. Jared's girlfriend doesn't like that one bit and gets really mad
Catrina Sada
Jun 25, 2016 Catrina Sada rated it liked it
I love Sammy Keyes, don't get me wrong. I just felt the mystery was underdeveloped and too much was centered on her getting revenge on heather. I don't find her rivalry with heather HALF as interesting as I find the mysteries. I felt there could've been more clues and more time spent with Chauncy. Good, but not as good as some of the other books in the series.
Iskreads
May 27, 2011 Iskreads rated it really liked it

If you’re a mystery reader you should read the exciting book written by Wendeline Van Drannen, called Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man. Sammy Keyes has to solve the difficult and dangerous mystery of the bushman. She is a normal school girl who always hangs out with her friends called Marrissa and Dot. On Halloween night they stumble into the Bush man’s house; a haunted house, It is said that if someone goes and knocks on the door of the house, the Bush man will jump out and kill him...
I think
Alycia
Jun 14, 2016 Alycia rated it really liked it
I actually read this when I was younger, but am re-reading it now. I remember loving all the Sammy Keyes books, and I still do, but I can see why this book is for middle grade. Some of the social and school interactions (especially with Heather) struck me as particularly immature. But like I said, this is a middle grade book and I think kids will get a kick out of it while learning some interesting things.
Jasmine Duong
5 STARS

EVEN BETTER. I'm so in love with the old dude named Chauncy. Weird, but I do. He is such a gentlemen. :3

Heather Acosta is just getting on my nerves. I mean she's been, but let me tell you something. She is just a terrible girl and I, one day, hope she just realizes that and changes herself. I don't even want to involve myself with her, so why keep reading this series. WELL CAUSE SAMMY IS SUCH AN AMAZING CHARACTER. AND THIS SERIES IS THEEEEEE BEST.
Rachel
Jan 26, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was really fun to experience the world of the daring 7th grader, Sammy Keyes. I love her ingenuity and daring as she foils the terrible plans of her jr. high rival, Heather Ascot, but also solves a dastardly robbery. A good read for any age, in my opinion!
Mark Flowers
Sep 15, 2009 Mark Flowers rated it it was amazing
Sammy and her friends are only going up to the “haunted” Bush House to knock on the door as a goof. But when a man dressed in a skeleton costume runs into them as they approach the house, they quickly discover that they’ve stumbled on a crime scene. The owner of the house, the reclusive “Bush Man” has been tied up, and the carpet is on fire. But with nothing apparently missing from the house, Sammy must figure out not only who broke in, but why. Although the first book in this series, Sammy Keye ...more
Carterkempgmail.Com
Really a pretty good mystery. Sammy is likable and just eccentric enough to be interesting without being off-putting. I'm surprised more kids aren't reading this series.
Nicole
Apr 14, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
My kiddos loved this book as a read a loud. They would beg everyday for me to keep going. Good suspense and mystery for 4th graders. I love Sammy Keyes!
David
Sammy is run over by a skeleton on Halloween. She finds a fire set in a building, and an injured man, leading to a mystery to solve.
Monica
Oct 29, 2015 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute book. I enjoyed the story line. My daughter read this book when she was in middle school.

The story starts out on Halloween. Sammy, Marissa and Dot are getting ready for trick or treat. Sammy's Gram thinks she is too old for dressing up. The girls decide to knock on a house that is considered scary. As the girls are on there way to the house they are run down by a man in a skeleton costume.

That is the set up for a very adventurous story. There are more teenage going ons in t
Squeaky
Jan 26, 2016 Squeaky rated it really liked it
I find this series increasingly charming. Unfortunately I have two other books in the reading queue before I can start on #3.
Amanda Weaver
Aug 13, 2015 Amanda Weaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great mystery adventure in the Sammy Keyes series. So glad we found this series. We are eating it up.
Terry
Sammy is still a fun, unpredictable character, but this particular book is a bit too middle-schoolish for me. It did serve its purpose as respite from the intense politics of the Years of Lyndon Johnson volumes I have been reading.
Meredith
Not as strong of a mystery as the later titles I've already read.
Narjis Tahir
Mar 05, 2015 Narjis Tahir rated it it was amazing
It's awesome!!! I love the entire series!
Gianna
Nov 05, 2014 Gianna added it
it was awesome read it too find out more
Katherine
Mar 01, 2014 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I liked this story but it want't too thrilling/exciting.
Jacalynn
I liked the first book better. This book was not a good contuine of the series.
Sue
Very good.
Richard
Jun 23, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, borrowed
For younger folks than the YA I usually listen to, but fun.
Elizabeth.h
Feb 02, 2009 Elizabeth.h rated it really liked it
trick or treat!sammy and her friends are out trick or treating.aww!a skeleton man just bump me they were just walking up to a scary house.Then the door cracks open and sammy decided to go in.Then she turns the corner and a man with a frankonstein maskis tied up to a chair then her friends scream and ran out the door.No she says stay he needs help.So her friends stay sammy is untieing the rope and.....if you want to find out what happens to sammy and her friends read Sammy Keyes and the skeleton ...more
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • The Big Splash
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)
  • Ghost Horses (Mysteries in Our National Park, #6)
  • Marcia's Madness (Sisters Eight, #5)
  • Wilma Tenderfoot: the Case of the Frozen Hearts
  • Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Free Throws
  • The School Story
  • Behind the Curtain (Echo Falls, #2)
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
  • The Ascension: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #5)
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influe ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...

Sammy Keyes (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things (Sammy Keyes, #11)