Start by marking “The Cat Who Covered the World: The Adventures of Henrietta and Her Foreign Correspondent” as Want to Read:

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Henrietta was an ordinary New York City cat until she ventured overseas with foreign correspondent Christopher S. Wren and his wife and children. Over seventeen years and tens of thousands of miles, she became a plucky, indispensable companion for the reporter as he covered world events in Moscow, Cairo, Beijing, Ottawa, and Johannesburg. Wren's often hilarious, and someti ...more
Published November 8th 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Covered the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Covered the World

My sister lent me this book to read. Her cats had urinated on it at some point so there was a little something extra that made me feel like Henrietta was right there with me. Now, I have barely been able to manage a fifteen minute car ride to the vet's for rabies shots in case my own cats happen to survive a fox attack. The fact that this cat lived through car rides, planes and getting lost in various countries may be enough right there to warrant writing a book. This unusual upbringing also aff ...more
Pamela
Don’t read this if you don’t like cats. Don’t read this if you hold the following preconceptions about cats: a) cats don’t like humans, b) cats are intellectually challenged, c) cats like to kill babies by stealing their breath d) you’re a scaredy cat, e) you think cats should be forbidden to travel to foreign places that you will never find the money or time to visit. However, Wren’s memoir of Henrietta’s adventures might be the perfect gift for that cat-loving friend/ spouse/sibling/grumpy co- ...more
Brian
"The Cat Who Covered the World" is a novel written by a journalist for the New York Times. This story begins with a coworker of the author bringing him a small cat and a bottle of Scotch. The author is called to work in Moscow, Russia on a writing assignment. Pressured by the pleads of his two children, Celia and Chris, he decided to take the cat, Henrietta, to Russia with him and his family. During the duration of the author’s time in Russia, Henrietta turns from a shy little cat to a full gro ...more
Peggy Bonnington
Jan 11, 2011 Peggy Bonnington rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lover looking for a light, entertaining read
Shelves: nonfiction
ADDED AFTER COMPLETION: I have to admit that I enjoyed the last section of the story of Henrietta the cat once I got back to finish it. In the right mood, at the right time and place, this can be a rather delightful quick little read and does bring along side of it the historical events which the foreign correspondent (Time magazine) was covering in various countries. I did have to add another star and could easily go 3.5.

EARLIER: This is another one of those books I read NEARLY all the way thro
Ken
I’m sorry, but the anecdotes in this book are not nearly as interesting or amusing as the premise would suggest. The stories are generally along the lines of “my cat sat on Andropov’s lap” or “my cat ate from KGB trash cans.” And more of the same. Sorry, although this sounds like such an adorable book, it does not live up to expectations.
Kennedy
I don't read pet stories very often. I can't handle when the pet dies.

I thought that The Cat Who Covered the World sounded fun though. Henrietta, the main catracheter (ha), was owned by a family of a New York Times reporter, so she followed them around the world. There were funny parts of the story. When the Wren family lived Moscow she was able to eat Russian caviar.

Henrietta sounded like a fun cat, but I really had a hard time liking her owners. We don't let our cat out because I'm worried she
Nanci
If you love a cat, or have ever loved a cat, or have ever loved someone who has loved a cat this is a must read. Such a well written story detailing the adventures of a world traveling family and their beloved Henrietta.
Hardy
This was a quick and enjoyable read. Mr. Wren deftly illustrated Henrietta's life in scenes that will make those who had or have cats nod in agreement. The unpredictable nature of feline behavior dovetailed well with Wren's own journey from one foreign posting to another.
M—
Purchased on the fly and enjoyed highly. I'm not an avid reader of the New York Times and have not read Wren's articles, but his writing style really clicked with me. This is an ideal book for any cat lover, with heaps extra bonus points if the reader is also a travel enthusiast. And the Meilo So illustrations were whimsical and perfect.

Three and a half stars, rounded up to four possibly because of the illustrations. I had a lot of fun reading this, but I won't be likely to have the urge to read
Kris Sellgren
Wren is a foreign correspondent for the New York Times, and this is a light-hearted romp through the adventures of his cat Henrietta (and her human family) while posted to Moscow, Cairo, Beijing, Ottawa, New York, and Johannesburg. We learn the ins and outs of finding cat food -- and cat litter -- in each of these places, as well as how the humans cope with changes in language, culture, bureaucracy, and cuisine. This charming memoir will cheer up any cat lover.
Susan
Interesting and somewhat entertaining because of the countries lived in, but I didn't get the sense the author (or even the family) was a true cat lover. Given the fact that the cat was allowed to roam free in whatever city or hotel/apartment/home they were in, cross busy streets, disappeared in Egypt for weeks, and given MILK on a regular basis, suggests either they were terribly ignorant and/or the author embellished quite a bit.
Leslie Andersen
Much better than the "average" cat story, because the author is a writer for the New York Times--he is smart and funny and so is this book.

Most cat books end with the cat dying...and I end up crying, which I don't like. In this one, yes, the cat dies at the end, but the author tells that part so quickly that I was able to read it without tears. That's a good thing!
Marti
my friend claire lent me this book. usually i don't read animal stories because the animal in question always dies at the end. Guess what? henrietta dies, but she has quite a life traveling around with the family of a ny times foreign correspondent. it is not as long or as involved as the last book i read, the man who loved china, but it is quite delightful and enjoyable.
Travelin
What can one say about a cat-lover's book where the writer eats a cat?

Would you be surprised that he doesn't show any real evidence of liking cats? The subtitle is also lifted, almost word-for-word from another cat book by a different writer published 7 years earlier. Maybe the writer changed his identity?
Virginia
I just can't imagine hauling a cat all over the planet.

I love my cat, and if I moved to another continent, I'd definitely take her with me. But if I had a particularly transient lifestyle, I don't think I could justify having pets.

More power to this family. And the cat.

-v
Emily Decobert
Follow Henrietta throughout the world and learn how to travel with finckey style. Henrietta and her humans cover Communism, racism, and Canada in the winter, with Henrietta sailing through in style. It gets a bit wordy about the humans but still is a good read.
Katie Coates
This book is very fun to read. It's full of amusing stories about Henrietta the cat and the family that owns her. As the family moves around the world, Henrietta encounters new and exciting experiences. This is an enjoyable book to read.
Diane
Supping on caviar in Moscow, getting lost in Cairo, writing the Christmas letter in Ottawa, Henrietta was a "worldly" cat who accompanied the Wren family around the world. Enjoyable story, told with a great sense of humor.
Debbie
A very fun memoir of sorts by a NYTimes foreign correspondent about his traveling cat. A must-read for any cat lover, and quite an interesting look at life in several foreign countries as well. Reading this made me want a cat.
Liz
I think my mother would have liked this book. It was very gentle and courtly, but it was also just a string of anecdotes about the author's well traveled cat. Guess I like a little more plot than that...
Carly
Sep 07, 2014 Carly rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carly by: Dusty
Shelves: 2014
To sum up my thoughts about the book, I just have to think that while I love, adore, coddle my cats....I must realize what they do is not interesting to anyone else, because they aren't in the moment.

Julie
An amusing combintation of personal and global perspective, as the correspondent, his family and their cat share adventures in various places overseas. Henrietta was obviously a law unto herself!
Cathy
A; A fun story about a writer for the Times and the years he and his family (including Henrietta the cat) spent abroad.
Chiska
It was fun traveling with this cat. I could read it in pieces too without feeling pressed to finish it, which is nice.
Jenn
This book should be called The Amazing Cat Who Managed to Survive Extreme Danger and Negligent Owners.
My dad was college roommates with the author, which is how I found out about this book. It's a lot of fun.
Dave
Pretty good, my impression the tales are a bit exaggerated but still very entertaining.
Janet
Loved this book as it was a good balance between a travelogue and a cat book.
Fiona Dolan
Very cute and very funny. Makes you want to be a foreign correspondent.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Cat Abroad
  • The Fur Person
  • Cancer Schmancer
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Foreign Babes in Beijing: Behind the Scenes of a New China
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis silvestris catus
  • The Animal Review: The Genius, Mediocrity, and Breathtaking Stupidity That Is Nature
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • The Cat Who Came in from the Cold
  • Fowl Weather
  • How to Live with a Neurotic Cat
  • An Eagle Named Freedom: My True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • The Cat Who Came Back for Christmas- How a Cat Brought a Family the Gift of Love
  • The Best of Friends: Two Women, Two Continents, and One Enduring Friendship
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • The Way of the Panda: The Curious History of China's Political Animal
  • Huck: The Remarkable True Story of How One Lost Puppy Taught a Family - and a Whole Town - About Hope and Happy Endings
Walking to Vermont Winners Got Scars Too: The Life of Johnny Cash Walking to Vermont: From Times Square into the Green Mountains -- a Homeward Adventure The End of the Line: The Failure of Communism in the Soviet Union and China Hacks

“The cat arrived with a bottle of Scotch.” 6 likes
“So Nikki came aboard as Jaqueline's spare cat, presumably in case our prime cat, Eliza, goes on vacation, takes industrial action, or requests a personal day.” 1 likes