Start by marking “The Edge (FBI Thriller, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Edge (FBI Thriller, #4)

The Edge (FBI Thriller #4)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  6,124 ratings  ·  215 reviews
Baffled by a seemingly supernatural connection to his critically injured sister, an FBI special agent heads to the Oregon coast in search of a more plausible explanation for his sudden ESP, only to discover more puzzling mysteries.
FBI agent Ford MacDougal - "Mac" - is recovering from a terrorist car bombing when his sister appears to purposely drive her Porsche off an Ore
Audio Cassette, Unabridged, 10 pages
Published August 9th 1999 by Brilliance Audio (first published August 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge

Nancy Bandusky
This novel began with intrigue but it didn't take long for only the hope of maybe somehow getting a somewhat satisfactory resolution kept me reading. The author gets us to a small town with apparently some deep secrets. We wander (and wonder) for the remainder of the book; only to have many things never explained or resolved and a quick wrap-up to end the main part of the story.

The characters aren't even sure who they are. The hero was seriously injured before the story began but manages to do
I love Catherine Coulter and the 1st three books in this series were excellent. But I was disappointed with this one. The character development was poor. I didn't really feel any connection to any of the characters, except Sherlock and Savich who are repeating characters in the series.

The romance was flat and just all of a sudden, it was there. Also, I found the fact that as soon as Mac started the romance, he seemed to forget about his sister, who was missing.

The mystery thriller aspect start
Two-haiku review:

His sis drove off cliff
She lives but then disappears
He investigates

Odd dark characters
Well written but not my style
Didn't make me care
Ford "Mac" MacDougal is recovering at Bethesda Naval Hospital from injuries sustained following a car bombing when he is awakened from his realistic dream involving his sister. He calls her the next morning and finds she was involved in an car accident and is in a coma in Edgerton, Oregon. Two days later, Mac is on his way to see his sister and find out what happened.

I had such high hopes for this story after The Maze and The Target but it was not to be. This story had a good, solid start with
Oct 11, 2010 Merredith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: FBI Series readers
Shelves: crime-mysteries
This book is #4 in the FBI series. I wasn’t feeling too well yesterday, and also had trouble sleeping, so I read it all in one day. I think so far this was the worst book in the series, but it was still a good book. Sure, the main guy is a little bit slutty but I think that's realistic, especially after he's been in the hospital for a few weeks (he could try using some protection though!!). The story was a little muddled, but maybe that was my state of mind. If you like the series, youll want to ...more
This is the first book I have read by Catherine Coulter, and it will be the last. It would make a poor grade b movie of the week, absent the nudity and sex. Even the sex was bad! I got the feeling that maybe her publisher was bugging her to get this one out he door. The character development was very poor, the action was illogical and the premise was like something in a batman comic. Stark naked the heroes were able to escape from their captors twice in rapid succession using essentially the sam ...more
Ugh! This was the worst book I think I have ever read! This book is so horrible GOODREADS SHOULD HAVE A NEGATIVE RATING SYSTEM JUST FOR THIS BOOK!

THIS BOOK MAKES NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER! I mean NONE! WHAT SO EVER! ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH!!! Where are the editors? Who approved this thing?

The only thing that I could honestly say I learned from this book was what the weather was like in Costa Rica. Congratulations! You the worst writer I have ever read!

After finishing this book, I decided to return the enti
MB (What she read)
2.5 stars. Enjoyable enough if you can turn off your implausibility filter. Found FBI agents to be very unprepared and disorganized. Don't think they'd stay employed long with that level of disorganization.

(view spoiler)
This book was a bit bizarre. The idea of a drug that increases your sex drive and brings back bad memories was a little too far fetched for me. It was hard for me to believe that the main character, Mac, could have sex so casually with this kind of creepy girl and then days later find the love of his life. So far it is my least favorite book in this series.
M. J.
I know that an author cannot "hit a home run" with every book, but rarely have I been so dissatisfied with a "series" book.

This book tries to involve multiple plotlines, and becomes so implausible as to be unbelievable. The characters are, for the most part, one-dimensional. This makes the reader indifferent to what happens, and renders the fancy plot twists laughable.

It feels more like Coulter was following an outline on "How to write a thriller" than using her own original style. It made me fe
Renee Gillespie
I have been reading the FBI Thrillers and I am not a fan of this book. Usually by the the second chapter I know if I am hooked on the book or not. This book took me over a week to read because I could not get into the book.
It was very bad. Too much unaesthetic nudity and sex. It seems to me that Catherine Coulter writes more about sex and characters getting married than about the crime. Her main characters meet, have sex, and the next minute they plan to get married. Who does that? The love and relationship never develops. There is nothing romantic about the characters. As for The Edge, it had a potential but it was a pain to read to the end. Mac being hard all the time and his desires to have sex is not interesti ...more
I like the main two people they were very lovable. However, I didn't like the story! And I didn't like who Mac always spoke in the third person.
Jenn M
I agree with other reviewers who are familiar with Coulter's writing and this series. This book is not one of the better ones. I'm still giving it three stars because I enjoy the series characters and because the main premise--Ford Macdougal's sister was injured and almost killed when she drove off a cliff; was she suicidal, or something else--has a lot of thriller suspense satisfying potential. Unfortunately Coulter does not deliver as expected, in my opinion, and based on the previous books in ...more
First off, I liked this book. It wasn't boring. It was more than fluff, less than hard-boiled. I'd recommend it. The reason that I'm saying this up front is that there were a few issues I had with the writing, but they weren't major enough to affect my rating.

I found it really, REALLY obvious that this was written by a woman. The protagonist is a 29-year old Joe Stud He-Man FBI agent Anti-terrorism operative. Joe Stud then proceeds to share things like how he likes to walk holding hands (along
The Edge - FBI Thriller #4 Savich and Sherlock - (Jilly Bartleee and Ford MacDougal) - Ford MacDougal (Mac) is flat on his back at Bethesda, seriously wounded in a terrorist car bombing when he dreams that his sister, Jilly, a medical researcher, drives her Porsche off an Oregon cliff. Only thing is, Mac feels like he's with her.

When Mac arrives in Oregon to find out what's going on, Jilly comes out of her coma, only to disappear a few hours later without a trace. In searching for her, Mac hear
Dotti Elrick
I've read this series several times, and overall I like it. This book however, is not one of my favorites.
We first met our main character, Ford MacDougal, as Lacy Sherlock's training partner in The Maze. He was shipped overseas and injured. While in the hospital, he has a dream/vision that his sister has been injured. He rushes to her, they live in a small town on the west coast called Edgerton. There he finds things with his sister and her husband are not what it seems to be. Things are pointin
Hunh. Well, 'unputdownable' is not the word for this one. I was disappointed, to say the least. Reading the entire novel, I felt detached! There was nothing to the characters - I didn't feel a strong enough connection between Mac and Laura, I was upset by some of the turns of events, and there was nothing to read about in the investigation. It's like Mac asked questions about why his sister went over the cliff, then when he went searching for her. That's it! The whole thing was disappointing! Th ...more
Catherine Coulter follows a very formula-ic rule of thumb in her mystery-romance novels. I am glad to have read far into this series and am back-reading. If not, I think I would have given up on this book.

Ford MacDougal is in a hospital, recovering from a car blast. He dreams he is falling off a cliff and feels the water rushing in. He awakes in a panic, knowing something has happened to his sister, Jilly. When he calls her house, her husband says she's been in an accident and almost drowned. S
Julia Wood
Debbie Heaton
In Coulter’s mystery novel, Max arrives in Oregon to find that Jilly has come out of her coma only to disappear a few hours later. As Max heads out to find her, he discovers that everyone has a different take on what really happened, including the local sheriff. When a local man is murdered, Max doesn’t initially suspect that it’s connected to his sister’s disappearance until the FBI joins in on the search.

Fast-paced, hard to put down.
Carolyn E
Another exciting story from Catherine Coulter. I love her "FBI Thrillers". Even though I read the early books in this series several years ago, I decided to re-read them. It's just like reading them for the first time. I remember the central characters but not the stories themselves. These are wonderful stories of suspense and action.
Anne Calvert
To start out on a positive note, the storyline was pretty good. Had twists and turns and suspense at times. I really enjoyed the description of the time they spent in the rain forest. Very interesting details and I am not sure why, but I could really see the forest and the critters of which she spoke.

What I did not like was that the editor missed some things. There were a few, and I found them only in the beginning of the book. It bothers me to find spelling errors or grammar issues. Nothing ma
Laura Lafantaisie
I liked this book except it is the same as the other two. Women in trouble meets FBI agent he calls in his friends from previous books and helps her to solve the mystery at hand. In the meantime they fall and love and become potential friends for the next book!

I like these books so hope the whole FBI series isn't exactly the same story line.
Mar 10, 2011 Iliyana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

FBI Thriller, Published in 1999, References 9/11
the events of 9/11 were mentioned in a thriller published two years earlier.

An FBI thriller, The Edge, by Catherine Coulter, was published in 1999. The book is part of Coulter's ongoing 'FBI Thriller Series.'
The Edge attained 'Number 6' status on The New York Times Best Seller List on 05 September 1999.

6 THE EDGE, by Catherine Coulter. The F.B.I. agent Mac MacDougal in pursuit of his sister, whose disappearance is intertwined with baffling crimes.
The Edge had just enough suspense to keep me reading it at first, but I have to admit I skipped several chapters to read the last few pages to just finish. The storyline didn't flow and became almost unrealistic. I haven't given up on this author and will try something else by her but was overall unimpressed during this first try.
Suspense, light humor, mystery, intrigue, romance, scenic locations - and just the kind of book that holds me entranced while the world melts away..... Interesting that each book in the FBI series is so different - and addictive! Next in the series : Riptide!
Diane Ault Fleury
I liked it. Not my favorite in the series. Too much happening in such a sort amount of time....not a fan of it all in the first person... Only Mac's point of view. Glad his sister was able to give him some closure...and answers.
  • Impulse
  • Kiss the Moon
  • Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #6)
  • Blue Smoke and Murder (St. Kilda Consulting, #4)
  • Don't Cry for Me (Rebel Ridge #2)

FBI Thriller (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1)
  • The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2)
  • The Target (FBI Thriller, #3)
  • Riptide (FBI Thriller, #5)
  • Hemlock Bay (FBI Thriller, #6)
  • Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)
  • Blind Side (FBI Thriller, #8)
  • Blow Out (FBI Thriller, #9)
  • Point Blank (FBI Thriller, #10)
  • Double Take (FBI Thriller, #11)
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7) Point Blank (FBI Thriller, #10)