Start by marking “Short Straw Bride” as Want to Read:
Short Straw Bride

Short Straw Bride

ONE OF THEM WOULD HAVE TO MARRY

The McLain brothers were fed up and tired --- tired of the hunger in their cowboy-sized stomachs, tired of dingy curtains and dirty dishes. Tired of worrying about who to leave the ranch to when they were gone.

Luke could imagine the perfect wife --- biddable, tidy and willing --- and when he saw Eleanor Williams in church one Sunday, he thoug
Mass Market Paperback, 347 pages
Published October 1st 1996 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about Short Straw Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Straw Bride

Lyuda
Feb 19, 2016 Lyuda rated it it was ok
Shelves: western

In my quest to find a good Western HR, I stumbled on this book. It had one of the tropes I like (MOC) and I was in the mood for something heartwarming and nice. Plus, I never read this author before.

Sorry to say, the story didn’t work for me. The potential was there, including a fairly good writing, but it was not realized for the most part because of MCs. The heroine was either annoyingly naive and timid or overly dramatic. The hero was one-dimensional good man whose astuteness for some reason
Jacqueline
Well written marriage of convenience story. The characters could have been a bit more filled out, but it was really a fairly lighthearted story of a couple working out the kinks of a marriage of convenience. This story was not deep in introspection, not much of it took place deep in the characters' thoughts. The hero and heroine were both nice people who did a good job finding each other. One minor thing I didn't really care for.(view spoiler) ...more
Linda
SHORT STRAW BRIDE is a Cinderella story with a twist that takes place in the 1800s American West. The McLain brothers need a wife to cook, clean and give them someone to inherit their ranch. Daniel and Luke are in a dither because neither one wants marriage so what do they do but draw straws. Luke is the loser, or is he?

Eleanor Williams lost her parents and had to come live with her Uncle Zeb, his wife and daughter. This miserable threesome makes her life uncomfortable to say the least. Not ove
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Eleanor lives with her Uncle Zeb and Aunt Dorinda and her cousin Anabel after the death of her father 6 years ago

They took her in not out of love but because they felt it was their duty to do so. Shes made to earn her keep by cooking,cleaning,mending and more or less being her relatives servant.
And also her beautiful/spoiled rotten/vain cousin Anabel is constantly belittling her efforts and her appearance.

Eleanor would very much like to get away from them and is even considering encouraging the
Chantal
Awesome. However, it was just a little too much like seven brides for seven brothers ( the movie) for me. Even the scene with the food in the kitchen. It was almost exactly the same.
The hero was ok at the end and she was awesome all the way. However, I do wish that bitch of a cousin would have gotten jail time for almost killing the heroine.
Come on a spanking, she almost killed a person.
Holy crap she was going to be run down by a team of horses here and all that bitch gets its a spanking!
Ot
Ale
Oct 14, 2014 Ale rated it it was ok
I liked the plot.
But the characters don't analyse their situation, and their actions are simply istinct. A marriage based on those facts can't be a happy one. Husband and wife should speak to each other!
Linda C
Mar 29, 2015 Linda C rated it really liked it
Luke and Daniel McLain think it is time to get a wife to make their ranch a home and to provide an heir. But which is to get married. They draw straws and Luke goes looking for a biddable wife. Eleanor Williams, 20, and the poor relation in her Uncle's home is ready to accept the local widowed store owner's proposal just to get out of his house. However, Luke is struck by her quiet restraint under the obvious drudgery of her life. He passes up the flighty misses who throw themselves at him and o ...more
Melissa Bee
Jul 05, 2013 Melissa Bee rated it did not like it
I don't know why I kept reading this after I started. OMG . . . . blah, blah, blah
Tiara
Harlequin (Historical) romance. When Daniel McClain (Luke's younger brother) decides they need a woman's touch around the house, Daniel and Luke pull straws to see who's going to get a bride. Luke pulled the short straw. Then, Luke starts the search for the "perfect" bride by attending church. There he meets Eleanor who isn't a beauty, by her own perception of course, but she's just what Luke is looking for.

Eleanor is living with aunt, uncle, and her snooty, beautiful cousin, and she's more than
Kendra
Mar 02, 2014 Kendra rated it really liked it
This was a generally enjoyable book. Not one I would file as a "must read" but certainly a nice story. You feel for Eleanor (especially at the beginning of the book) due to her less than happy life with her Aunt, Uncle, and cousin. Luke was a bit short sighted in his selection of a wife but I found myself rooting for him when he was "courting" Eleanor.

The only reason I didn't rate this a 5 star is because of the brevity and some frustration as they work out their marriage. This book was almost
Katie RA.
Dec 05, 2012 Katie RA. rated it liked it
I just finished reading this book and it ended up as just another one of those books. It quite disappointed me though cause it has one of my fave themes. The first part, where Luke was checking on whether Eleanor would be "the perfect biddable wife",was okay but after their marriage their promising chemistry just vanished. There's nothing remotely romantic about their love story (actually, it's more like a lust story) the characters never even had a decent conversation and I was waiting for them ...more
May
short and sweet

your typical marriage of convenience

However the short straw subject was mentioned a lot in this book !!!
Tanya T
Two bachelor brothers are tired of running the family ranch without a woman's touch. They also want a son to carry on the family name and keep the ranch in the family for generations to come.The only way to accomplish that is for one of them to marry. After arguing who should get married, they decide to draw straws. Luke, the oldest of the brothers draws the short straw and sets out to find the perfect wife.
Elenore is a plain woman who longs for a home of her own. Overshadowed by a beautiful co
Tiffany
Jul 17, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: passionate
HANDSOME LUKE MCLAIN WAS LOOKING FOR A WIFE, TO KEEP HOUSE FOR HIM AND HIS BROTHER, AND GIVE HIM SONS. ELEANOR WILLIAMS WAS JUST WHAT HE WAS LOOKING FOR. SHE WANTED TO GET AWAY FROM HER UNCLE, HIS WIFE, AND THEIR SPOILED DAUGHTER. LUKE POP THE QUESTION AND SHE ACCEPTED. SHE DIDN'T THINK SHE WOULD FIND OUT, THE REAL REASON, WHY LUKE MARRIED HER, BUT SHE DID AND WAS CAUGHT OFF GUARD, WHEN SHE FELLED HEADS OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH HER HANDSOME HUBBY. LUKE FELLED JUST AS HARD FOR HER AS WELL!!!
Jolisa Sampey
Mar 02, 2015 Jolisa Sampey rated it it was amazing
The McClain brothers have a problem. They need a bloodline to pass their ranch on to should they have an unlikely accident. Unfortunately neither brother actually wants to get a wife and start a family so in a moment of mild drunkeness, they decide to let chance decide the matter and pull straws to see who will take the plunge.

Luke sees Eleanor in church, where his appearance is causing quite a stir, and thinks she would be perfect. Presentable but not so pretty that her face would cause him pr
Maqluba
I think this was less of a romance and more of a woman finding confidence and strength with the help of her clueless husband and new surroundings. A nice read where not much happened but still had the pull to keep you reading to find out what the heroine does next.
Maria
Dec 30, 2009 Maria rated it it was ok
Lame but not horrible. Faint praise, I know. The fight between the hero and heroine seem a little contrived.
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
It would have been perfect with an epilogue.
May Anderson
Aug 11, 2015 May Anderson rated it it was amazing
Seemed to take parts from this and that and in the end nice. The prairie, 7's, shrew, and a good ending. If you don't understand my references don't worry. I don't do reviews usually for that reason. (Books, plays, television, movies. All remind me of something in the assembly of this story.
Lorka
Feb 06, 2016 Lorka rated it it was amazing
A very cute, sweet (non-steamy) love story. Not any frustrating misunderstandings, seemed to be a good amount of witty conversation to keep it interesting. I thought this book was going to be a keeper for a good part of the book... I was happy to see Eleanor get mad and finally speak up and have a temper tantrum because it showed her acquiring a backbone. But then the whole fight carried out way too long and she started to come across as a bratty child. I wish they could have solved that fight a ...more
Charlie
Sep 03, 2015 Charlie rated it liked it
I found the characters to be a little immature a lot of the time, however none were intolerably annoying so this could be forgiven considering the story genre. The writing style is also a little repetitive.

The story was very light and had a happy ending.
Madhellena
It was a sweet western/historical romance - I liked that the heroine found her backbone and expressed her feelings. I also liked that fact that the hero managed to figure out that a relationship needs some work.
All in all, an enjoyable read.
Holly Senecal
May 26, 2015 Holly Senecal rated it liked it
a cowboy love story enough to fill any readers heart with romance... it may be a bit of an older book but I recommend it for a light read, be it on the beach or anywhere else! give it a try!
Kay Smith
Aug 24, 2016 Kay Smith rated it it was amazing
Very cute little Western romance novel. Cute laugh-out-loud moments; my husband kept lookin' at me strangely as I giggled along.
Yona
Mar 08, 2014 Yona rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
It would have been 4 stars if the female character wasn't so annoying, her reactions were just ridiculous...
Mara
Jul 31, 2016 Mara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, but contrived if you think about it after closing the book.
ReadingWench
Sep 05, 2015 ReadingWench rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago and loved it!
Sommertime
Sep 26, 2015 Sommertime rated it liked it
Shelves: library-loan
Cute story, loved the plot. But the character development is a little too superficial and their fight went on just a little too long. Cute ending.
Amy
Apr 26, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
I read this book probably in my late 20's and it is still one of my favorite fluff romance books. I used to go to the library and just read certain parts of it over and over again. I think every woman wants a man like Luke to feel about them that he feels about Eleanor.
  • The Courtship of Izzy McCree
  • Joe's Wife
  • Two Texas Hearts (McQuillen #2)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Courting Miss Hattie
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • The Wedding Promise
  • Matthew (Circle Eight, #1)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Texas Glory (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Brides of Prairie Gold (Dangerous Men, #2)
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
Born and raised in Colorado, Dallas Schulze now lives in California. She sold her first book in October 1983. It was published under her pseudonym Dallas Hamlin in the Candlelight Ecstasy Romance line. She loves happy ending and wrote category romances, contemporaries and historicals for Harlequin, Silhouette, Dell and Mira. Her latest title was published in 2004.
More about Dallas Schulze...