Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)

Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  3,211 ratings  ·  167 reviews
Robert B. Parker is back in Paradise, where Detective Jesse Stone is looking for two things: the killer of a teenage girl—and someone, anyone, who is willing to claim the body…
Published November 5th 2002 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Death In Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death In Paradise

Robert
This is a serviceable detective thriller about the police chief of a small coastal town near Boston. The protagonist is an alcoholic who blew his career as a homicide detective in L.A. and his marriage, too. He's not a complete loner; he still meets his ex-wife frequently and starts a relationship with the head of the local high school...which interested me: The parts of the book where it is demonstrated that Stone has a life beyond his job mostly distract from rather than advance the plot. It's...more
Kathy
Eric_W
Watched one of the Jesse Stone movies with Tom Selleck, and that reminded me I had several of the Jesse Stone books moldering on my Ipod. Opened up Death in Paradise, started listening and became enthralled.

I really enjoyed this. I've read a lot of Parker and liked the early Spenser very much. Once Susan entered the picture, they became less interesting. Jesse Stone is understated, his problems with booze real but not overly dramatized, and his relationships with girlfriends real. There is an un...more
Una Tiers
Parker's usual dialogue falls into a he said, she replied format. Is this deliberate? This haunting mystery has characters woven seamlessly to the end.
Glenajo
I got this book because I really enjoy the Jesse Stone Movie series; I have not read his other novels. I think I will stick to the movies. I am not sure if I enjoy Tom Selleck or if the story is simple enough that, it just does not make a good book for me. The book came off much darker and more depressing than the movies. It left me sad, and I definitely do not want that. If you like a sad, haunting murder mystery, this may be the book for you.
Mom
The Paradise Men's Softball League has wrapped up another game, and Jesse Stone is lingering in the parking lot with his teammates, drinking beer, swapping stories of double plays and beautiful women in the late summer twilight. But then a frightened voice calls out to him from the shore of a nearby lake. There, two men squat at the water's edge. In front of them, face down, is something that used to be a girl.
The local cops haven't seen anything like this before, but Jesse's LA past has made h...more
Franklin Atherton
The third Robert B. Parker Jesse Stone novel went down just as smoothly as the first two. That's 3 in a little over a week. I'm on a roll, and so is Jesse Stone. Parker was really hitting his stride with this one. As a series progresses the author and the characters seem to become more comfortable with each other and their roles, and this is the book where that happens for the Jesse Stone universe.

Ignited by the murder of the lady in the lake, Jesse burns like a slow fuse, following one lead aft...more
Jerry
We really enjoy Parker’s Paradise (Mass.) Police Chief Jesse Stone set – and fortunately his estate is authorizing continued stories (three so far). We almost hate it that the many chapters, short sentences, and lots of wide margins means we can buzz through these tales in just a couple of hours or less. Stone is a persistent son of a gun who virtually always “get his man” – and “Death” is no exception. Unfortunately, the subject matter – underage working girls – was not particularly to our tast...more
Alan
Ah, the library discard box. Such a treasure trove at times. I've found for myself, and others, some really good books, and some of course pretty bad. Parker's Jesse Stone tale falls into the former, and was enjoyable enough for me to consider renting some of the others from the library.

Many might be familiar with Jesse from the Tom Selleck movies. The major difference between the movies and the book is Jesse in the book is not as old as Jesse in the movies. The rest is there though. Failed mino...more
Mark
This book was actually my first meeting with Jesse Stone in the guise of Tom Selleck. Yes indeed I saw the tv-movie and found it highly enjoyable. And indeed the film stays largely faithfull to the book, with the exception of Stone's exwife who plays a larger part in the books than the movies. I still think that the books did that far better than RB Parker ever did.

The story is about a murdered girl found and she is NOT MISSING because her family threw her out because she did not fit their ideal...more
Crys (The Hodgenator)
The Jesse Stone books get better and better. In book 1, I complained that the book was too heavy on description, slowing the plot. Now that I've read book 3, I see the purpose of it.

Book 3 zips by with the clipped dialogue I have come to love with Tom Selleck in the role on the screen, and in the book it really works for me. I find that it moves the plot faster.

In this novel, Stone is faced with the murder of a teen runaway, and he wants the killer behind bars.

I call this the soul searching book...more
Gisela
Does anyone hate the Jennifer character as much as I do? I enjoy the plot of these books, but Parker is an older man who is clueless about women. His female characters are very 20th century, they are really only in the plot as sex objects. Oh he tries to be modern and give them high powered jobs, but still I get the feeling that he thinks a woman's place is in the home. It's grating in what would otherwise be a fun light read.
Kimberly Hill
After reading the first 3 books in this series, I understand why I don't like them very much. Jesse Stone is an alcoholic man-whore and he's not even messed up in an interesting way. He annoys me.
As for why it took me three books to figure this out? It didn't. I thought of it during the first book but I loved Spenser so I had to keep reading to see if I found Jesse even half as compelling. He isn't.

Tim Smith
A good plot and continued development of characters introduced in earlier titles make this an enjoyable read. However, the abundance of profanity and incidental sex scenes only detract and distract the reader. Although Parker wrapped it all up by the closing chapters, he leaves a hint that the next title in the series will be more of the same.
Dan Lakey
I have read this book, and while I find the story line to be most excellent, I have a real problem with the way Mr. Parker conducted dialogue. This is the first story of his I have experienced, unfortunately I probably won't experience anymore due primarily to the very awkward dialogue. There were places in the book where the word "said" was used 30-40 times in a single page. Apparently Mr. Parker never heard of words like: retorted; exclaimed; boasted; screamed; beseech; plead; asked, all of th...more
Beth
This is an early Jesse Stone (I can't give the publication date since I read it in large print and they only give the date it was first printed in large type). So how can I tell it's an early one? Well, first of all Jesse really does have a drinking problem. Second of all he begins therapy with the bald, enigmatic Dix, and third he and Jen are just beginning to circle around each other in their ex-marriage love affair. As far as the mystery goes, Jesse is looking for someone who killed a teenage...more
Kathi
Another nice quick read for working the night shift. I am getting a little tired of the Stone novels and may take a break for awhile, maybe try one of his other series. It is nice to be able to picture Tom Selleck in the role as I read, as well as the other characters; xtill haven't been able to get a mental picture of Jenn.
Mom
Christopher Everest
This is a somewhat lower-key book than the earlier ones in the series. Perhaps because of the nature of the offences - child-killing, under-age prostitution, paedophile exploitation - this book is concerned primarily with the nature of self-control. It seems a sparse, darker book to me. With Jesse's complex problems with Jenn, the woman he thinks he loves, and the continuing difficulties of an addiction to drink various options are revealed. As usual with RBP there are a range of alternatives fr...more
***Dave Hill
If Parker's most recent Spenser tale (Widow's Walk) seems laid-back, this one is positively moribund, as small-town police chief Stone deals with the death of a local girl. Even moving half the “action” down to Boston, and encountering there some familiar Spenser bad guys, does almost nothing to keep this one afloat. Jesse deals lackadaisically with his various romances and his love of baseball, but also (and it’s only here that any real tension surfaces) his drinking.

If Parker were really tryin...more
Kathy
This is a new series for me, and I did enjoy it. Competent plot, likeable characters. Nothing outstanding, but a pleasant and engaging police procedural. The drunken cop trope gets old, but it is not overly annoying in this.
Kenneth Gurney
This is a really good read, a page turner. The Jesse Stone character is interesting. If you like crime novels, you will enjoy this book.
bookczuk
This was an early Jesse Stone novel that I somehow missed. It filled in the gaps for some things, like how Jesse started going to Dix. It was a nice touch to see Vinnie outside of a Spenser novel.

Parker had a gift -- he could tell an ongoing story of daily life and love, write conversation, and spin a mystery all between the covers of books.

This was a little bittersweet, too, because in the past, I would hold my Spenser books for mother and brother and husband. At least I still have one person...more
George Miles
I liked this third entry in the Jesse Stone series better than the second. More focused story, better characterizations.
David
I do enjoy these Jesse Stone novels. This one was a bit short and it was enjoyable in its quiet way. Others are better.
Sorcha
Nov 04, 2011 Sorcha added it
Shelves: 2007
Second Jesse Stone book I've read, and who knows which number in the series it is (I'm guessing third for no better reason than only 2 other Stone books are listed in the front inside blurb).[return][return]Again, very short sentances and chapters, often primaily dialogue. Not everything is explained, so it's not quite a police procedural. Most things dont suffer - it makes it a fast read - but there are somethings that you just wonder: Why did he put that in? (e.g. the whole 10 pages or so dedi...more
Robert
Actually, I listened to this via audio book read by Robert Forster and came away a lot more impressed with the reader than the author.

Someday, I'm going to try to classify fiction writing according the lessons in psychology they provide. For example, from Henry James I feel that I'm gaining insight into the motivation of the characters about whom he writes. With Dickens, I'm pretty sure that I'm treated to insights into the motivation of the author. With Robert Parker and John le Carre, I know t...more
Eileen
Another good read by Robert Parker. I really like the character except for his sick obsession with his ex-wife and hers with him. That seems out of character but I like the series so far.

Jesse Stone takes dead bodies in his jurisdiction personally. This time it is all the worse because it is a young girl. He is determined to find the killer, all the more so because the victim was unloved and abandoned by her own parents. He finds out who the killer is but how to prove it and how to get justice....more
Mark Clough
I love the Jesse Stone novels by Robert R Parker. He's a cool cop with some great lines of dialogue.
Kerrfunk
Jesse Stone #3. Not my favorite of the Jesse Stone books, but hey, it's candy.
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)
  • Trouble in Triplicate (Nero Wolfe, #14)
  • On The Grind (Shane Scully, #8)
  • Final Justice
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Magic City: A Novel (Thorn, #9)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced....more
More about Robert B. Parker...
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Chance (Spenser, #23) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)