Start by marking “Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)” as Want to Read:
Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)

Stone Cold (Jesse Stone #4)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  4,983 Ratings  ·  215 Reviews
Tony and Brianna Lincoln just moved into Paradise, but friendly they aren't. In fact, these urbane thrill killers are knocking off the neighbors one by one, and Jesse Stone is next.
Published September 28th 2004 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published September 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Cold

The Godwulf Manuscript by Robert B. ParkerLooking For Rachel Wallace by Robert B. ParkerA Catskill Eagle by Robert B. ParkerThe Judas Goat by Robert B. ParkerDouble Deuce by Robert B. Parker
Best Robert B. Parker Mysteries
10th out of 59 books — 35 voters
Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoHyphema by Chelle CorderoRescue 471 by Peter CanningParamedic by Peter Canning
Everyday Heros
15th out of 47 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Kemper
There’s a married couple in this book whose idea of fun is stalking strangers and then killing them together. The sad thing is that those two murderers have a healthier relationship than the hero of the story does with the love of his life.

In addition to trying to track down the thrill killers that are terrorizing his town, police chief Jesse Stone is also looking into the gang rape of a teenage girl. As usual, any detective work has to take a back seat to Jesse’s personal life which continues t
TK421
Sep 09, 2011 TK421 rated it really liked it
Jesse Stone has a major problem in Paradise in this fourth installment of Parker's Jesse Stone series. It seems a pair of thrill killers, man and wife, have come to Paradise with intent to keep their thrills alive. Parker does a wonderful job of letting the reader see what type of madness swirls within the minds of these types of people, while at the same time never trying to give blanket answers to why some people are this crazy.

But the killers are only a small portion of this book. It seems t
Janie Johnson
Jun 06, 2016 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book #4 in the Jessie Stone series. I found this one to be so much better than the prior 3. I think at this point the Author was finally settling into the story and getting to know hi characters much better.

Synopsis
I decided to write my own synopsis for this book because the one that comes with it is just not very pleasing at all.

In this story we have a couple who are thrill killers and they get a real kick out of killing the residents of Paradise. After several murders Jesse begin to put
Carolyn F.
Audiobook.

First time reading this author. I'm categorizing this as romantic as there is that element in the book, just not in a good way.

I have this stupid prejudice against male suspense/mystery writers because usually they're too gory for me or I just can't connect with the characters. That's not the case with this book. Robert Parker has probably changed my conception because this book was excellent. I loved Jesse Stone. There's a serial killer case and a rape case that's he trying to solve
Mahoghani 23
Jul 09, 2016 Mahoghani 23 rated it liked it
When a well educated successful couple decides to become serial killers, they should never choose to reside and kill in Paradise, Massachusetts with the likes of Jesse Stone as Chief of Police.

Anthony and Breanna Lincoln are ruthless people. They randomly choose citizens in the community, to include Jesse's companion Abbey Taylor.

There are no clues but the killers messed up......won't spoil the story. They just underestimated Chief Stone.
Ric
Aug 01, 2015 Ric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Been a while since I've read a book from the late author, and this is vintage Parker. Spare prose. Laconic characters. A straight mystery solved simply.

I enjoyed the book for the most part. Great story-telling. The ending is not so hot as if the author ran out of neat ideas to catch two runaway crooks.

Anyway, a nice visit to a favored author, and a good intro to a series I haven't tried before. More books to add to the queue.
Patrick
Dec 10, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it
Like many others, I picture Tom Selleck as Jesse....saw all the movies on Hallmark a few years ago. Stone Cold followed Parker's novel closely with the usual quirks and nuances of the others in the series. Not much to offer here other than sometimes 'light' reading is relaxing and entertaining.
Johnny
Apr 16, 2011 Johnny rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Some people feel like all of Parker’s protagonists are the same. They all like to eat, they all have relationship issues, they all have a past (authority issues and/or drinking problem, possibly guilt). Yet, after reading Stone Cold, the first of the Jesse Stone mysteries I’ve read, I’m not certain I agree. First of all, one of the things I really enjoy in the Spenser series is the fact that this anti-authority figure as private eye makes smart comments all the time—even when admitting in his na ...more
Shane
Nov 03, 2011 Shane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
These books just get better as they go along. Quick chapters, interesting characters, and KNOWING that there is a better than average chance that Jesse is going to hit someone in the nuts make for good reading.

This story, like the others, wraps up quickly once things start to happen, but it doesn't feel nearly as rushed as it could have. The murderers are truly fascinating characters in and of themselves. While they don't exactly make you hope they get away, they're still very well developed ps
The Genre Minx
Jul 05, 2016 The Genre Minx rated it liked it
Ok it needs to be said--there is a lot of focus on a gang rape that includes detailing out the stories from the kids. I found that to be disturbing! There is a set of serial killers that are bit twisted and I found that to be less than thrilling. Unhealthy relationships abound throughout the story. The story is good for it's genre but just not for me.
Anja L
Dec 03, 2015 Anja L rated it it was ok
puh, schwer, etwas dazu zu sagen. die Story selbst mit den morden war eine super Idee. aber die Charaktere waren schon echt flach und eindimensional und die Erzählung ein wenig zu stumpf. Ich konnte mir jesse stone nicht ein einziges mal bildlich vorstellen und das will mal was heißen. zudem wurden alle Frauen in seinem Umfeld zu seinen sexobjekten degradiert, was mich echt verstört hat.

wahrscheinlich ist die original Version besser, aber ich werde es nicht ausprobieren...sorry, ein ziemlicher r
Charles
Mar 04, 2016 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Jesse Stone is dealing with two major cases as well as still struggling with his relationship with his ex-wife Jenn. A pair of serial killers are killing randomly selected people in the Paradise area and each die from two bullets to the heart from separate guns. All indications are that the shots are fired simultaneously, leading Jesse to conclude that there are two shooters.
The second case is one where a teenage girl is raped by three members of the football team. Rather than tak
Megargee
Dec 22, 2015 Megargee rated it liked it
Fourth in the series, Stone Cold continues the Jesse Stone story arc as it further explores the Paradise MA police chief's relationship with his ex-wife Jenn, who moved from LA to be near him, and how it affects his relationships with other women in his life. On the personal side, Jesse is coping more successfully with the drinking problem that cost him job in LA.
On the crime front, the main plot concerns a couple of serial murderers who find that stalking and slaying random victims enhances
David Jarrett
This was a fun little book to read. Parker writes in a no-nonsense, simplistic style, with lots of dialogue and less than average descriptive narration. One of the attractions for me was that the narration is in the third, rather than the first person so often chosen by today's authors. The plot was straightforward and somewhat mundane, but it was believable enough (another departure from many of the works of today)and easy to follow. Jesse Stone, Parker's protagonist is a small-town police chie ...more
Jon Borah
Jan 09, 2015 Jon Borah rated it liked it

From Publishers Weekly

It's taken four novels, but finally Parker's Jesse Stone series has produced a book as good as top-drawer Spenser. This outing finds the laconic, troubled cop tackling three problems: to capture the pair of serial killers who are murdering random victims in small-town Paradise, Mass., where St

Paula Dembeck
Jun 07, 2016 Paula Dembeck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading the Jesse Stone series in order and think this is the best book so far.

Jesse is working on two cases: one involves a serial killer who appears to be making random killings in the small town of Paradise. Each victim has been shot in the chest at close range and was brought down with two bullets fired simultaneously from two different guns. Each shot that was fired was deadly and would have killed the victim, so it is curious that two guns have been used. There appears to be no
Lou
Oct 17, 2014 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely liked this book - I kept imagining Tom Selleck in the Jesse Stone role since I had seen him play the part of Hallmark Channel.

Stone is investigating both the rape of a young girl by a number of high school boys and a series of seemingly not connected murders. Both crimes have the town of Paradise on edge. Stone has to juggle these investigations, his drinking, love life, and many other things.

This definitely is a good read!
Helen
Jan 26, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it
Of the four, I think this was the best so far. I didn't necessarily like the ending, but that's because I have never really liked Jesse's ex-wife. The other thing that continues to bother me about Parker's writing style is the over-excessive use of dialogue tags. Reading "he said" or another version of it multiple times in the same conversation is annoying and I understand why it's something writers should look out for.

I think my favorite character has to be the therapist, Dix. He doesn't say mu
Tim
Feb 01, 2015 Tim rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
My first Jesse Stone novel, though I have been a fan of the TV movies with Tom Selleck that grew out of them. Stone is an interesting counterpart to Parker's more famous Spenser (with an "s"--like the poet). Both are true of heart, but while Spenser is true to Susan Silverman (at least after a few early novels), Stone wants to be true to his unfaithful first wife--still carries a torch. He's more flawed than Spenser, a sometimes recovering alcoholic, but fundamentally a very good man with a stro ...more
John Marsh
Jan 01, 2016 John Marsh rated it it was amazing
Franklin Atherton
Jan 23, 2014 Franklin Atherton rated it really liked it
Shelves: robert-b-parker
I just this minute finished reading Jesse Stone number 4, Stone Cold. Another smooth read. A pure pleasure until the end. This is the 4th one I've read in two weeks and I think I'll lay off of them for a while.

This one had more booze and women, as usual, with the addition of some dog scenes. No baseball this time although it was mentioned. A pretty good mystery, with a semi-satisfying resolution. By that I mean, I guess you can't SHOOT them all. But, then there was that ending.

What was so bad a
Barbara Woodford
Feb 19, 2016 Barbara Woodford rated it really liked it
I really like the books that have Jesse Stone as the main character. The word "fuck" really bothers me and it is used frequently in all of his books. I prefer to think of it as "making love" if it is with someone of significance like a spouse.
Daniel Sevitt
Mediocre Parker is better than no Parker at all, but only just. Jesse Stone just doesn't make any sense to me. He sleeps with 3 other women, but pines for his wife. Each of the women perfectly understands why he won't commit to them. One of the women even gets murdered 15 minutes after they sleep together and he just ploughs ahead as if not much has happened. My favourite parts are when he has meetings and people expect him to talk and he doesn't.

I just realized why the plot of this one was so f
Ed
Jan 31, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#4 in the Jesse Stone series. Jesse Stone, former LAPD cop and now police chief of Paradise, MA is featured in another of author Parker's Boston area series. The Stone series often features MA State police officer Healy, a frequent character in the Spenser series, as is lawyer Rita Fiore, who appears in the current Stone entry.

Jesse Stone quickly suspects the Lincolns of being thrill seeking serial killers, but proving it is harder. Then it appears that Jesse will be the next target. A second pl
Kaytlin Miller
It is sometimes hard to believe that the same person writes both Spencer and Jesse Stone. I really enjoy Spencer books. They are easy to read and his wit and humor give his series a nice cozy feel. I of course relate each book to Robert Urich and Avery Brooks who played Spencer and Hawk in the television series which seems to bring each story to life. When I read Jesse Stone I think of Tom Selleck, but here begins the problem. The story often gets lost and you end up reading page after page of t ...more
Gae-Lynn Woods
Jul 10, 2014 Gae-Lynn Woods rated it really liked it
STONE COLD is another good Jesse Stone novel, and this one keeps Stone on his toes catching a pair of serial killers and a trio of high school rapists. He knows who all the bad actors are but has to use his wits and some clever negotiation with a defense attorney to bring them all to justice. There's a lot going on in this book. It looks like Jesse might have his drinking under control. I had high hopes that he would finally realize what a drag Jenn is on his life and move on from her, but it se ...more
Hermien
Aug 09, 2015 Hermien rated it really liked it
I love Jesse Stone and the interaction with his team.
Barbara Bengston
Feb 09, 2016 Barbara Bengston rated it really liked it
I really like Parker's writing style. It helps to make the story even more exciting.
Tom
Nov 12, 2015 Tom rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audio book. Great way to while away some time in the car.
Pat
Aug 08, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
Jesse Stone has a problem no officer of the law likes to face. Dead bodsies keep appearing, but clues do not. A man takes his dog out for a run on the beach, only to be discovered hours later with two holes in his chest. A woman drives her Volvo to the store to do some grocery shopping and is then found dead, her body crumpled behind her loaded shopping cart. A commuter takes a shortcut home from the train, and never makes it back to his house.

I really liked this book. Jesse is kind of melanchol
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blind Spot (Jesse Stone, #13)
  • Poodle Springs (Philip Marlowe, #8)
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)
  • Phantom Prey (Lucas Davenport, #18)
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • The Only Girl in the Game
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • In the Midst of Death (Matthew Scudder, #3)
  • Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire, #3)
  • In Pursuit of Spenser: Mystery Writers on Robert B. Parker and the Creation of an American Hero
  • Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)
  • The Joe Leaphorn Mysteries: The Blessing Way / Dance Hall of the Dead / Listening Woman (Leaphorn  & Chee, #1-3)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Jesse Stone (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Night Passage (Jesse Stone, #1)
  • Trouble In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #2)
  • Death In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #3)
  • Sea Change (Jesse Stone, #5)
  • High Profile (Jesse Stone, #6)
  • Stranger In Paradise (Jesse Stone, #7)
  • Night And Day (Jesse Stone, #8)
  • Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)