Start by marking “Bauchelain And Korbal Broach: Collected Stories V. 1” as Want to Read:
Bauchelain And Korbal Broach: Collected Stories V. 1

Bauchelain And Korbal Broach: Collected Stories V. 1 (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #1-3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,577 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Contains the following 3 books:

1--Blood Follows
2--The Healthy Dead
3--The Lees of Laughter's End
Published by PS Publishing (first published September 15th 2009)

This is one of the sickest things i have ever read! And just to avoid misunderstandings, i mean sick in a best possible way;)
Its not so much the language, there is no excessive swearing here. And its not the gore. all dough there is quite a bit of that here, too.
Its more a strong feeling of unease that comes from every single thing here being twisted in some weird unpredictable some way.

There is Emancipor Reese....He is probably the only half-decent person in this book. He may be half-decent,
Christopher H.
If you've read Steven Erikson's third volume in his "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series, Memories of Ice, you may remember encountering three very eccentric characters among the Caravanserai--the two necromancers, Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, and their manservant, Emancipor Reese. Later in the novel, you might also recall that the Malazan Bridgeburner mage, Quick Ben, has a most interesting (and intense!) meeting with Bauchelain and Korbal Broach at their house in Capustan, and oh what a scene ...more
Midu Hadi
So, here it is. If you have read Memories of Ice or *cough* Orb, Sceptre, Throne, you would have all ready run into the titular characters of this collection of three novellas as well as their manservant, Emancipor Reese the Unlucky. Perhaps you have wondered about these characters, perhaps not, but here are these novellas, any way!

The tone of these novellas are considerably lighter than that of the books in the 'main' series. Nothing, not the various threats, atrocities, crimes, etc. are really

My take on the three novellas in this collection.

Blood Follows

This is the first novella in the ‘A Tale of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach’ series. This is a secondary series to the ‘Malazan Book of the Fallen’, whereas The Malazan books are huge and epic, this book is a little murder mystery that shares the same world as The Malazan books. Currently two of the books are available, but it's been three years since the second book. I hope Steven continues this series as it's a nice departure from his
Extensively Morbid and unashamedly violent yet deliciously comic. Written by someone who's clearly loving every moment, a feeling that goes across to the reader and Erikson is surely at the top of his craft here. The Healthy Dead and the Lees of Laughter's end.... well... there's nothing to compare them to... they are singular achievements. They are pure genius. They very much appear to be the machinations of a drunken, uninhibited quite insane mind. And I quite loved them.
Here's a extract from my review, full link:

For unknown reasons, the novellas are not in their release order in the omnibus. I was really looking forward to reading these books/novellas and since the individual editions were kind of hard to find at a reasonable price, this book came just at the right time. Funny and impressive would be the words I choose to express my feeling after this wonderful read and here's wh
May 24, 2010 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steve Erikson fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Bauchelain, Korbal Broach and Emancipor Reese make cameo appearances during the siege of Capustan in Memories of Ice Malazan Book of the Fallen 3. There Quick Ben and Bauchelain cross sorcerous swords, and Quick unleashes half of his Warrens to escape the demonologist’s trap. As narrative goes, it’s a spandrel, a meaningless episode made possible by the convergence of Erikson’s Malazan story arc and the path of three favorite characters. The scene in the book reminded me of an incident from my o ...more
I would give this 4 or even 5 starts, but the first tale wasnt as great as the second, and especially the third tale... still great buy and another good book by Erikson, dont feel discouraged by three stars here :)))
David Holec
Neskutečně povedené tři na sebe navazující povídky. Něco podobného bych si chtěl přečíst i o Paličích mostů. To by bylo super. Ale nekromanti byli taky skvělí. I se sluhou.
Après avoir lu Willfull Child, je devais lire plus de Erikson. J'ai hésité entre continuer Malazan ou commencer les aventure de Bauchelain et Korbal Boach. L'un est une série épique qui est énorme et pleine de rebondissement et l'autre l'histoire de 2 nécromanciens qui voyage dans le monde de Malazan.

Etant un recueille de petites histoires je me suis dit que ça serait plus léger et plus facile a lire, vu que je travaillais beaucoup pendant ce temps.

Règle #1 de tout livre de Erikson, rien n'est j
“— Отвратителна си. — Той преглътна. — Кажи още отвратителни неща.”
Не мога да се сетя за по-подходящ цитат, с който да опиша възхищението си за тази книга.Също така, за пръв път си отбелязвам толкова бележки на четеца, всяка от които ме е забавлявала максимално.
Стивън Ериксън е ОТВРАТИТЕЛНО добър!
Това се доказа (лично за мен), след като може в три разказа да натъпче толкова сарказъм, ирония, идеи и философия, които биха стигнали поне за още една цяла поредица с обем на Малазанската.При това подн
Melissa Hayden
These stories are on the dark side and are very detailed in the world. I have really been enjoying the books with which I feel I should use sticky notes to help me remember who's who and who did what.
The first story started out with me being confused for a little while. But, once I got through it I understood what was going on. In this first story you realize just how massive a world Erikson has created. These stories are based in the same world as Erikson's epic series, of the Malazan Empire.
Blood Follows 3*

This tale gives us a little back story to how Emancipor Reese became manservant to Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. And we learn a little more of what exactly Korbal does with his prized, collected body parts.

A simple straight forward tale. No deeper meanings. No foreshadowing. Just a walk in the park w/Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. :D

The Lees of Laughter's End 3*

Oh my. Mostly, I'm giving this tale 3* because it was well written, & Erikson packed a lot into a short story. B
I had never read any of the books in the Malazan Empire series by Steven Erikson, but I was intrigued by the heroes / anti-heroes of these 3 novellas. And Erikson didn't disappoint me. Korbal Broach is rather Psychotic, while Bauchelain is a necromancer that I would give my life to NEVER, EVER meet. But at the same time, these two thoroughly evil men (along with manservant Emanciapator Reese) are just so interesting to read about and besides, one is never "quite" sure that those whom they are fi ...more
These collected tales of necromancers Bauchelain and Korbal Broach aren't so much about them as centered around them, but provide stupid amounts of entertainment nonetheless. Gone is the emotional catharsis that is evident of Erikson's main series, The Malazan Book of the Fallen, and in its place is a absurdity on an epic scale, comedy in the stead of tragedy. Imagine a Tehol and Bugg scene from Midnight Tides. Now blow that scene up into a short novel and you have one of these tales. Highly rec ...more
Melissa Levine
First off, this is the first book I've read by Steven Erikson. It was passed on to me by a coworker of my husband. Needless to say, I won't be forgetting this one. The author just had so many new things to offer the reader.

There were times when I felt like I was skipping over certain parts because the author uses so much detail, but then other times where I would have to stop and just reread a sentence because it was! I can't think of another way of saying it.

This was a gross, funny,
As several other reviewers have said, these three linked novellas are just plain fun to read. The three central characters are well developed, and for Malazan fans there are a couple of intriguing additional pieces of information about the pantheon of Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I laughed out loud a number of times while reading, particularly at the travails of Gust Hobb in the second story. Steven Erikson is not just a great fantasy writer, he's a great writer period.
c2010: FWFTB: necromancers, manservant, ship, baggage, goodness. Consider this book devoured. I loved it although I did prefer the first 2 stories. The grim is certainly there - but the humour was just marvellous. There were so many vignettes that I enjoyed. The one in particular was where the hag and the beauty were actually the same age except the beauty smoked and drank whereas the hag was the one who was teetotal and ate vegetables. Made me chuckle. The names of the characters are also ones ...more
I enjoyed this collection of short stories and would recommend them to fans who have all ready read a few of his Malazan books. To me these stories didn't really feel like they were set in the same world, but they did offer a nice change of pace to Erikson's usual massive volumes. The humor was nice, if a bit morbid. The hardest thing to get used to was the small chapeters! Some were only 1/2 a page long. I remember one chapter in "The Crippled God" that was 120 pages!
Set within the same world as his epic Malazan series, the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach books are the sillier, funnier, more action-filled cousins to the longer series. The short stores build upon what is already known about these minor recurring characters---two necromancers and their drug-addled manservent---and tend to focus on how a sequence of accidents and coincidences can combine to make a comical grand catastrophe.
_Gardens of the Moon_ stares forlornly from the pile of unread books, so I lack context: Is this the further adventures of some Shakespearean-style clowns within the Malazan series--there to provide levity or transition at critical points--or does this series have this half-horrific, half-comedic tone?
"Something like an abattoir's rubbish heap was crawling across the mid-deck, just skirting the edge of the hatch. It had tiny eyes, dozens of them. And hundreds of short slithery tails snarling out
Trey Hollen
I was very unsure what to expect from this collection of stories. I devoured every Malazan Book of the Fallen and was eager for more of anything set in this world. But the namesake characters were two of my least favorite of the massive cast introduced by Erikson. I am so glad that I took the plunge anyway.

As stated by another review, this is a very odd book. And I mean that in the best possible way. This series of stories appears to be where Erikson comes out to play. He teases at a strange sen
I missed you Steven Erikson. After reading this, I remembered with great clarity why I loved your books, the world you created and your sense of humour.
Oct 19, 2014 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Malazan Superfans.
Recommended to Michael by: I am a Malazan Superfan in training.
Ordinarily, I find humorous fiction difficult to get into. I tend to roll my eyes more than laugh, and a Terry Pratchett book holds the dubious record of being abandoned quicker than any other novel I have endeavored to enjoy. That said, I was excited to read this collection of Steven Erikson's "Bauchelain and Korbal Broach" stories, which chronicle the darkly humorous misadventures of two murderous necromancers and their hapless elderly manservant.

Having read some of the Malazan Book of the Fal
Newton Nitro
O lado humorístico do texto de Stephen Erikson sempre foi, para mim, um dos principais atrativos da sua narrativa na série Malazan. Intercalando histórias épicas, dramáticas e trágicas com momentos de humor deu um sabor mais interessante para a narrativa. Então, foi para mim uma boa surpresa ao ver que, no formato da noveleta, Erikcson soltou completamente o seu lado humorístico, de uma maneira peculiar e bem satírica.

O Tales of Bauchelain and Korb
Stephen Theaker
This is a collection of three novellas concerning two supporting characters from Steven Erikson's set of fantasy bricks, The Malazan Book of the Fallen, which I haven't read, though on this evidence I really should. Crack'd Pot Trail, a later book in this series, was so superb that I preordered this collection the moment I saw it was coming out on Kindle. Originally published by PS Publishing, this edition goes so far as to include the introductions from the individual hardbacks.

The first novell
Jordan Filchev
Определено нещата не започнаха добре с тази книга. Според мен автора използва много тежки за четене изречения, понякога дълги по половин страница (а и повече), пълни със странни наименования на герои, места и обекти и не на последно място понякога имаше леко натруфени прилагателни в описанията.
Не знам дали около средата на книгата стилът се измени или аз просто посвикнах с начина на писане на автора, но взе да ми допада повече и успях да се зарадвам на третият разказ повече.
Предполагам, че ако п
Daniel Magner
When I started reading the Malazan series, the aspect of the story that really grabbed me was a scope of the world these characters are set in. While this scope was still there, this episode lacked the pop of the better entries in of the series.

If asked to explain why in as few words as possible, I would say that Bauchelain and Korbal Broach had the feel of being written by someone trying too hard to shock people. Just too heavy-handed.
  • Blood and Bone (Malazan Empire #5)
  • The White Luck Warrior (Aspect-Emperor, #2)
  • The Many Deaths of the Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #9-10)
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • Hawkwood and the Kings (Monarchies of God, #1-2)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • Darkness Weaves
  • Bloodstorm
  • Seasons of War (Long Price Quartet, #3-4)
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the on-going series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.
More about Steven Erikson...

The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach (5 books)
  • Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #1)
  • The Healthy Dead (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #2)
  • The Lees of Laughter's End (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #3)
  • Crack'd Pot Trail (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #4)
  • The Wurms of Blearmouth (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #5)

“Curious,” Bauchelain said. “What is it you wish us to do for you?”

“Usurp the king,” Imid Factalo said.

“Usurp, as in depose.”

“Depose, as in remove.”

“Remove, as in kill.”
“You’re loitering, citizen.”
“Actually, I was hesitating.”