Start by marking “Bauchelain And Korbal Broach: Collected Stories V. 1” as Want to Read:
Bauchelain And Korbal Broach: Collected Stories V. 1

Bauchelain And Korbal Broach: Collected Stories V. 1 (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #1-3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,111 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Contains the following 3 books:

1--Blood Follows
2--The Healthy Dead
3--The Lees of Laughter's End
Published (first published September 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bauchelain And Korbal Broach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bauchelain And Korbal Broach

Kris43
This is one of the sickest things i have ever read! And just to avoid misunderstandings, i mean sick in a best possible way;)
Its not so much the language, there is no excessive swearing here. And its not the gore. all dough there is quite a bit of that here, too.
Its more a strong feeling of unease that comes from every single thing here being twisted in some weird unpredictable some way.

There is Emancipor Reese....He is probably the only half-decent person in this book. He may be half-decent,
Christopher H.
If you've read Steven Erikson's third volume in his "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series, Memories of Ice, you may remember encountering three very eccentric characters among the Caravanserai--the two necromancers, Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, and their manservant, Emancipor Reese. Later in the novel, you might also recall that the Malazan Bridgeburner mage, Quick Ben, has a most interesting (and intense!) meeting with Bauchelain and Korbal Broach at their house in Capustan, and oh what a scene ...more
Midu Hadi
Kevin
So, here it is. If you have read Memories of Ice or *cough* Orb, Sceptre, Throne, you would have all ready run into the titular characters of this collection of three novellas as well as their manservant, Emancipor Reese the Unlucky. Perhaps you have wondered about these characters, perhaps not, but here are these novellas, any way!

The tone of these novellas are considerably lighter than that of the books in the 'main' series. Nothing, not the various threats, atrocities, crimes, etc. are really
Geoff

My take on the three novellas in this collection.

Blood Follows

This is the first novella in the ‘A Tale of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach’ series. This is a secondary series to the ‘Malazan Book of the Fallen’, whereas The Malazan books are huge and epic, this book is a little murder mystery that shares the same world as The Malazan books. Currently two of the books are available, but it's been three years since the second book. I hope Steven continues this series as it's a nice departure from his
Search
Extensively Morbid and unashamedly violent yet deliciously comic. Written by someone who's clearly loving every moment, a feeling that goes across to the reader and Erikson is surely at the top of his craft here. The Healthy Dead and the Lees of Laughter's end.... well... there's nothing to compare them to... they are singular achievements. They are pure genius. They very much appear to be the machinations of a drunken, uninhibited quite insane mind. And I quite loved them.
Phil
Here's a extract from my review, full link: http://afantasyreader.blogspot.ca/2010/01/bauchelain-and-korbal-broach-review.html

For unknown reasons, the novellas are not in their release order in the omnibus. I was really looking forward to reading these books/novellas and since the individual editions were kind of hard to find at a reasonable price, this book came just at the right time. Funny and impressive would be the words I choose to express my feeling after this wonderful read and here's wh
Terence
May 24, 2010 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steve Erikson fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Bauchelain, Korbal Broach and Emancipor Reese make cameo appearances during the siege of Capustan in Memories of Ice Malazan Book of the Fallen 3. There Quick Ben and Bauchelain cross sorcerous swords, and Quick unleashes half of his Warrens to escape the demonologist’s trap. As narrative goes, it’s a spandrel, a meaningless episode made possible by the convergence of Erikson’s Malazan story arc and the path of three favorite characters. The scene in the book reminded me of an incident from my o ...more
Razmatus
I would give this 4 or even 5 starts, but the first tale wasnt as great as the second, and especially the third tale... still great buy and another good book by Erikson, dont feel discouraged by three stars here :)))
Melissa Hayden
These stories are on the dark side and are very detailed in the world. I have really been enjoying the books with which I feel I should use sticky notes to help me remember who's who and who did what.
The first story started out with me being confused for a little while. But, once I got through it I understood what was going on. In this first story you realize just how massive a world Erikson has created. These stories are based in the same world as Erikson's epic series, of the Malazan Empire.
Th
Christina
Blood Follows 3*

This tale gives us a little back story to how Emancipor Reese became manservant to Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. And we learn a little more of what exactly Korbal does with his prized, collected body parts.

A simple straight forward tale. No deeper meanings. No foreshadowing. Just a walk in the park w/Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. :D

The Lees of Laughter's End 3*

Oh my. Mostly, I'm giving this tale 3* because it was well written, & Erikson packed a lot into a short story. B
Jessica
I had never read any of the books in the Malazan Empire series by Steven Erikson, but I was intrigued by the heroes / anti-heroes of these 3 novellas. And Erikson didn't disappoint me. Korbal Broach is rather Psychotic, while Bauchelain is a necromancer that I would give my life to NEVER, EVER meet. But at the same time, these two thoroughly evil men (along with manservant Emanciapator Reese) are just so interesting to read about and besides, one is never "quite" sure that those whom they are fi ...more
Melissa Levine
First off, this is the first book I've read by Steven Erikson. It was passed on to me by a coworker of my husband. Needless to say, I won't be forgetting this one. The author just had so many new things to offer the reader.

There were times when I felt like I was skipping over certain parts because the author uses so much detail, but then other times where I would have to stop and just reread a sentence because it was just...wow! I can't think of another way of saying it.

This was a gross, funny,
Newton Nitro
O lado humorístico do texto de Stephen Erikson sempre foi, para mim, um dos principais atrativos da sua narrativa na série Malazan. Intercalando histórias épicas, dramáticas e trágicas com momentos de humor deu um sabor mais interessante para a narrativa. Então, foi para mim uma boa surpresa ao ver que, no formato da noveleta, Erikcson soltou completamente o seu lado humorístico, de uma maneira peculiar e bem satírica.

10629832_10152696095678486_1363875343792566437_n

O Tales of Bauchelain and Korb
Paulius
Guy
As several other reviewers have said, these three linked novellas are just plain fun to read. The three central characters are well developed, and for Malazan fans there are a couple of intriguing additional pieces of information about the pantheon of Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I laughed out loud a number of times while reading, particularly at the travails of Gust Hobb in the second story. Steven Erikson is not just a great fantasy writer, he's a great writer period.
Ruth
c2010: FWFTB: necromancers, manservant, ship, baggage, goodness. Consider this book devoured. I loved it although I did prefer the first 2 stories. The grim is certainly there - but the humour was just marvellous. There were so many vignettes that I enjoyed. The one in particular was where the hag and the beauty were actually the same age except the beauty smoked and drank whereas the hag was the one who was teetotal and ate vegetables. Made me chuckle. The names of the characters are also ones ...more
Artemas
I enjoyed this collection of short stories and would recommend them to fans who have all ready read a few of his Malazan books. To me these stories didn't really feel like they were set in the same world, but they did offer a nice change of pace to Erikson's usual massive volumes. The humor was nice, if a bit morbid. The hardest thing to get used to was the small chapeters! Some were only 1/2 a page long. I remember one chapter in "The Crippled God" that was 120 pages!
Carla
Set within the same world as his epic Malazan series, the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach books are the sillier, funnier, more action-filled cousins to the longer series. The short stores build upon what is already known about these minor recurring characters---two necromancers and their drug-addled manservent---and tend to focus on how a sequence of accidents and coincidences can combine to make a comical grand catastrophe.
Genchev
“— Отвратителна си. — Той преглътна. — Кажи още отвратителни неща.”
Не мога да се сетя за по-подходящ цитат, с който да опиша възхищението си за тази книга.Също така, за пръв път си отбелязвам толкова бележки на четеца, всяка от които ме е забавлявала максимално.
Стивън Ериксън е ОТВРАТИТЕЛНО добър!
Това се доказа (лично за мен), след като може в три разказа да натъпче толкова сарказъм, ирония, идеи и философия, които биха стигнали поне за още една цяла поредица с обем на Малазанската.При това подн
David Holec
Neskutečně povedené tři na sebe navazující povídky. Něco podobného bych si chtěl přečíst i o Paličích mostů. To by bylo super. Ale nekromanti byli taky skvělí. I se sluhou.
Michael
Oct 19, 2014 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Malazan Superfans.
Recommended to Michael by: I am a Malazan Superfan in training.
Ordinarily, I find humorous fiction difficult to get into. I tend to roll my eyes more than laugh, and a Terry Pratchett book holds the dubious record of being abandoned quicker than any other novel I have endeavored to enjoy. That said, I was excited to read this collection of Steven Erikson's "Bauchelain and Korbal Broach" stories, which chronicle the darkly humorous misadventures of two murderous necromancers and their hapless elderly manservant.

Having read some of the Malazan Book of the Fal
Stephen Theaker
This is a collection of three novellas concerning two supporting characters from Steven Erikson's set of fantasy bricks, The Malazan Book of the Fallen, which I haven't read, though on this evidence I really should. Crack'd Pot Trail, a later book in this series, was so superb that I preordered this collection the moment I saw it was coming out on Kindle. Originally published by PS Publishing, this edition goes so far as to include the introductions from the individual hardbacks.

The first novell
Daniel Magner
When I started reading the Malazan series, the aspect of the story that really grabbed me was a scope of the world these characters are set in. While this scope was still there, this episode lacked the pop of the better entries in of the series.

If asked to explain why in as few words as possible, I would say that Bauchelain and Korbal Broach had the feel of being written by someone trying too hard to shock people. Just too heavy-handed.
Bill Denise
3.5, really. I didn't like this as much as the rest of the Malazan series, although it was fun to read. We were not given any insights into the title characters (B and KB) since the stories really focused on other people who were affected by B and KB. We learn a little about the manservant, but nothing very deep or all that interesting. I think the author wants to maintain the air of mystery around B and KB that he so carefully established in the Malazan series.
Jose
It was good. Actually each story got better as I read along. I started them after I finished 'Memories of Ice', since I liked the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach characters in that book. At first I was a bit disappointed with the brevity of the first story but satisfied that the story, Blood Follows, was well contained and entertaining. I decided to return to my main project, the Malazan Book of the Fallen, and read the BKB stories between books, a strategy that paid off in my opinion. They provide ...more
Bezmenny
Latka bola zrejme príliš vysoko predchádzajúcimi knihami. Keďže som v nich spoznal tieto postavy a veľmi som si ich neobľúbil, neprepadol som im ani teraz. Inak ale dobrá kniha a stále lepší priemer. Druhá epizódka sa mi pozdávala najviac..
Tim Hicks
Take two characters whose approach to life is, "Of course I'm evil, what's your point?"
Throw in the unluckiest man in the world as their servant.
Walk them through a world of monsters and mostly-gormless people.
Stir in magic, walking dead, and a large dose of humour.
That's how you make a good read.

Presenting these three novellas together was a good idea. They are quite different in tone and make a good set.

It's gory, make no mistake, and if you don't believe that a gory story can also be fu
John
A masterful blend of horror, fantasy and dark humor. Brilliant. "The Lees at Laughter's End" is, quite possibly, the most brilliant piece of mayhem I've ever read. Can't wait for the next installment. My only major qualm is that the Lees of Laughter's end seemed to end with a bit of a cliff hanger, which did not get resolved in "The Healthy Dead". Maybe he'll cover it in a subsequent story. It's also possible that he resolved this in one of the Malazan Empire novels and I missed it. Regardless, ...more
Fil
These three short stories are pure fun from start to finish. While Steven Erikson had proven that he was a master storyteller in terms of pure fantasy with the main Malazan books these three novellas proof that the man can also make you laugh and also grimace at the adventures of Bauchelian and Korbal Broach. The last story will have you never look at undead the same way again. This is simply fun writing and fun writing that shows that fantasy doesn't have to just consist of epic quests and drag ...more
  • Blood and Bone (Malazan Empire #5)
  • The Judging Eye (Aspect-Emperor, #1)
  • The Many Deaths of the Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #9-10)
  • Century of the Soldier
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)
  • The Hammer
  • Darkness Weaves
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the on-going series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

More about Steven Erikson...

The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach (5 books)
  • Blood Follows (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #1)
  • The Healthy Dead (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #2)
  • The Lees of Laughter's End (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #3)
  • Crack'd Pot Trail (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach #4)
  • The Wurms of Blearmouth (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #5)
Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2) Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3) House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4) Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)

“Curious,” Bauchelain said. “What is it you wish us to do for you?”

“Usurp the king,” Imid Factalo said.

“Usurp, as in depose.”

“Right.”

“Depose, as in remove.”

“Yes.”

“Remove, as in kill.”
8 likes
“You’re loitering, citizen.”
“Actually, I was hesitating.”
7 likes