Start by marking “The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #3)

The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land Trilogy #3)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  10 reviews
From the ashes of war...fueled by lust, greed, and passion, they rose to splendorous new heights....
Three generationsn of men and women...the masters and slaves whose sacrifice and savagery made Beulah Land the pride of the Old South...the sons and daughters whose seething passions and fierce devotion made it the pride of the New...

Theirs was the desperate struggle to rede
Published January 1st 1980 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about The Legacy of Beulah Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legacy of Beulah Land

The Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Last Full Measure by Jeff ShaaraGods and Generals by Jeff ShaaraNorth and South by John Jakes
Great Fiction for Civil War Buffs
21st out of 26 books — 26 voters
The Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPhersonThe Civil War by Shelby FooteCold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Best Civil War Books
431st out of 560 books — 624 voters

More lists with this book...

Bonita
Fabulous and super enjoyable read! The author did a great job in capturing the feel of the times. I almost could feel and taste the food, the dress, the characters and of course Beulah Land. In my opinion, way better than "Gone with the Wind".
S.B. Lerner
This one was almost as good as the others. The plot got a bit convoluted, and the new 'evil' character was too similar to the earlier 'evil' character. But the way Coleman evokes the period, detailing sights and smells and tastes with such specificity that I really felt as though I was living in the post-civil war era for a few weeks. It's an addictive trilogy, the characters are well-drawn, for the most part, and he has some beautiful poignant moments. One, for example, was a short scene explor ...more
Sharon
"The Legacy of Beulah Land" is the final book in Lonnie Coleman's story about the Kendrick, Davis and Elk families during the 19th C. This book takes the story from 1873-1895.

Many beloved characters from the previous two books have passed on, and matriarch Sarah Troy is now 84 years old. In this book, we see the challenges of running a cotton mill and a sawmill with integrated work crews during the Reconstruction due to ongoing racism.

Coleman's honest portrayal of life in the deep South througho
LemonLinda
This is the last book in a trilogy set in Georgia before, during and following the Civil War. In this one, Reconstruction has ended, Beulah Land is once again properous, yet many things happen to put it at peril. It addresses the racial tension of the era and just what was almost required of the former slaves in order to be accepted by the majority. But those connected with Beulah Land had a much different view. Their relationship with the former slaves and their descendants is much more like fa ...more
Holly Weiss
Jul 30, 2015 Holly Weiss marked it as to-read
ordered by mistake Paperback Swap. Have Book 1. Book 2 is full of atrocities.
♥ Marlene♥
On on Friday, July 27, 2007 I wrote about this book:

8 out of 10
Finished reading this book 2 days ago. I love the atmosphere in the Beulah land books. They are easy to read, but not boring at all. Lots of things happens. I do think book 3 is least entertaining of the 3

Going to lend them to my mom
Patti Morgan
I liked reading this trilogy of Beulah Land. This book ended the trilogy, and closed all the doors that were open throughout the stories.

I would recommend these books to others who like to read a series of stories about the American South.
Marco  Rodriguez
This is the first one I read after watching the mini series again. It was amazing. It started with fresh characters and intertwined the old ones. If it didn't end near the end of the 19th century, I would have wanted a 4th one.
Arlene Allen
Ah, to be able to read like I used to when I was a teenager. Sigh.
Angela Roofe
Not as good as the original, but close.
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Jrmiracle
Jrmiracle marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Monique Colegrove
Monique Colegrove marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Mary Beth
Mary Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Roberta Jones
Roberta Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Lissa Notreallywolf
Lissa Notreallywolf marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
David G
David G marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Elaine Lynn
Elaine Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Gema
Gema marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Robert Baker
Robert Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • The Plantation
  • Southern Rapture
  • Spring Will Come: The Bregdan Chronicles # 3
  • The Bride Star (Civil War Brides, #6)
  • Sleigh of Hope — A Grayson Christmas (Grayson Brothers #5)
  • Time Beyond Beginning (The First Americans, #10)
  • Mandingo
  • Gabriel's Angel
  • Iron Branch: A Civil War Tale of a Woman In-Between
  • The Widow's War
  • Mistress of Falconhurst
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Handsome Road (Plantation Trilogy, #2)
  • Secrets, Spies & Sweet Little Lies (Secrets & Spies, #1)
  • My Dearest Cecelia: A Novel of the Southern Belle Who Stole General Sherman's Heart
  • Cadence (Langston Brothers #2)
  • Seven Little Postmen
Born William Laurence "Lonnie" Coleman. American novelist and playwright best known for writing the Beulah Land trilogy. His first novel was published in 1944. Coleman was an associate editor at Ladies Home Journal, 1947-1950, and at Collier's, 1951-1955.

Coleman's 1959 novel "Sam" is considered a groundbreaking novel in American literature in its depiction of homosexuality and metropolitan gay lif
More about Lonnie Coleman...

Beulah Land Trilogy (3 books)
  • Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #1)
  • Look Away, Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #2)
Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #1) Look Away, Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #2) Orphan Jim Sam Mark