Start by marking “Little Fur: The Legend Begins (Little Fur)” as Want to Read:
Little Fur: The Legend Begins (Little Fur)

Little Fur: The Legend Begins (Little Fur #1)

Who is Little Fur? Why, she's a half elf, half troll, as tall as a three-year-old human child, with slanted green eyes, wild red hair that brambles about her pointed ears, and bare, broad, four-toed feet. Little Fur loves and tends to the Old Ones, the seven ancient trees that protect her home, a small, magical wilderness nestled magically in a park in the midst of a large ...more
Library Binding, 208 pages
Published October 24th 2006 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Little Fur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Fur

Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
Little Fur lives in a small patch of wilderness, surrounded by places where humans live. She tends to injured animals and helps the Old Ones keep the Earth Magic flowing. One day she hears about a terrible threat from humans to trees near her home, and she leaves on a quest to seek wisdom of how to stop these humans from destroying the trees.

As much as I may identify as an Isobelle Carmody fan, I’ll admit I had never heard of the Little Fur series until fairly recently, when I found them by acci
Angela Oliver
A cute and quite charming adventure story about a little elf troll child who travels across a town to help save her trees from the "tree burners", with the help of some animal friends. It is a fairly simple story, without a great deal of tension, but the characterisation is splendid and the writing style eloquent and poetic. I imagine this would be a lovely story to read aloud.

I did wonder somewhat about the illustrations, however, which are done by the author. At the end of many chapters there
Cruth
Author/Illustrator: Isobelle Carmody
First Published: 2005
Length: 195 pages

Some years ago at Adelaide Writer's Week the author gave a talk on writing and storytelling to some very young children and their parents. She spoke of the joys of wandering a city as large as New York and spinning fantastic tales to entertain herself and her little girl (also called Adelaide). Stories of dreams and fantasy, hope and love. Faith. Belief.

The stories of Little Fur.

A story of finding the wonder within a city.
Vojtěch
Četlo se to dobře, bylo to milé, ilustrace byly boží. A přesto mi na tom nejvíc vadilo to, že se to (alespoň pro mě) tváří jako dost silná ekologická agitka. Chápu, že plno lidí to v tom neuvidí, ale úplně jsem viděl, jak z knihy čiší to přání, abych se zamyslel nad tím, jak žiju a co dělám spolu s dalšími přírodě.
Jemma
Mar 31, 2016 Jemma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Egh. I read the first chapter and have no inclination to read any more.
It's one of those 'think with your heart and believe in faries' type of books.
I normaly like reading about faries, but not overly new-age sparkly ones.
Eunice
I wanted so much to enjoy this because the cover was fury and it looked so pretty in hardback and because little elf trolls in the forest.

However, this novel was nothing like I expected. It tried too hard to teach children about protecting the environment, and sacrificed a plot for the sake of being the equivalent of an Environmentalist Bible-Thumper.

Like, it annoyed me so much that it made me want to set a forest on fire just to dance on the embers and laugh at the irony that trees were butcher
Jessica
I picked this book up because it was beautiful, and finally read it after a few years of letting it beautify my shelf. It was a whimsical and sweet book with some sad and depressing elements... Like Wall-E, but with a little half-troll/half-elf creature instead of a robot, and set in modern times when things are being to deteriorate instead of the future when it's all gone to heck.

Likes: Well, it did remind me a bit of the Hobbit/LoTR. Little Fur is even referred to as a Halfling. Plus the very
Che Adventure
Jan 20, 2016 Che Adventure rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-fantasy
A charming, cautionary tale about Little Fur, half-elf, half-troll girl who lives in the forest and has the magical ability to heal animals and listen to the trees thoughts.

There are moments where I had to stand back and reflect what was being said throughout the story. There are no heroes, no one to rescue and save the day. Bad things will keep happening. Death doesn't stop. And the tree-burners will continue to destroy life.

This story is a commentary on human society. As Little Fur is not huma
Lana
Aug 28, 2014 Lana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked seeing the human world through the eyes of the smaller animals (describing the cars as "road beasts" that growled and snarled; because what else would someone who doesn't understand a car call it?) But the writing was a little too 'tell,' not enough 'show' for me, even though I'm well aware this is a children's book and may require more telling than I would expect in a YA/mature novel.

Also, it felt like the author was pounding me in the face with a hammer labelled "save the environment!"
Melanie
An awful attempt to write an environmental awareness book for children. The main character, Little Fur, is a tiny elf. Her purpose in the story is to try to save the trees in an ancient forest. However, the author's personal and political agenda overshadows the story.
Eliatan
Nov 11, 2014 Eliatan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Isobelle Carmody is an excellent writer but this just isn't a very good book. A very formulaic quest book that didn't really have a a justifiable reason for our hero to set out on the quest, a good explanation for the antagonists motives, or a satisfying resolution. The sweet character of Little Fur, interesting language, and the book as mortality tale about caring for the environment were it's only redeeming qualities. I read this aloud to my seven year old daughter and she enjoyed puzzling our ...more
Brian James
This is one of those books that I was really torn about. On one hand, as an adult, I found it fascinating. I really enjoyed seeing our world through the eyes of Little Fur and her friends. To make the everyday world feel new and strange is a difficult task that Carmody was able to pull off. I also thought the mythical elements of the story were intriguing. I loved 'The Old Ones' and the idea of this innocent creature being their protector. Little Fur as a character is well-formed and the bravery ...more
Emilyn
Jan 11, 2016 Emilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dream your dearest desire, and I will dream it with you."
This book had a handmade feel to it, like it was written, bound, and illustrated by faeries from the woods. The story was refreshing and sweet. Definitely a children's story prose-wise (slightly more developed prose than say the Guardians series by William Joyce or the Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky), but well-worth reading for anyone who likes a good children's fairy tale. It also reminded me a little bit of the Land of Elyon boo
Sara
Nov 28, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: army-ants-tt3
For a kids book this wasn't bad. Quite eco-friendly. And by 'quite ' mean every page felt like it was trying to cram a "save the environment!"poster down my throat. It was waaayyy too heavy handed with its not so subtle message. And why are all humans portrayed as greedy earth-spirit-killing suckers? Okay maybe I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought. More like a 2.5 stars from me.
Lindsay
Little Fur is a half-elf/half-troll who lives in a forest. After hearing terrible news that people are burning trees, she goes on an adventure with her friend Crow and two cats to visit the Sett Owl for advice. The owl tells Little Fur she will have to go on a long journey to a deep crevice past a graveyard. There, she will discover how to save the trees.

This book was difficult for me to get into since it begins rather slowly. It wasn't until halfway through that I started to enjoy it a little
Daniel
Sep 28, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audiobook version of this, and it was read by Isobelle Carmody herself! She did a great job, and I really enjoyed listening to the story read by her. Was a nice story, despite it being targeted at a younger audience.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
This book started off with way too much exposition, but it is a beautiful concept for a story. The heroine goes on a quest with her friends to save trees from humans who are burning them. At times, the journey felt forced, like the characters were just being pushed through the motions of a journey. I got impatient in the middle of it because it just seemed like the characters were running into obstacle after obstacle just for the sake of having obstacles. Maybe it felt like that because there we ...more
Jade Dillon
This book is very exciting, very adventurist and makes you want to keep reading. It was very well written and very well illustrated. The story was very interesting and very adventurist.
Rebecca
The green message is a little heavy handed, but I enjoyed this adventure of an elf-troll and her cat, pony, and crow friends. Small children would enjoy this as a read aloud story,but skip the illustrations which are truly awful.
Cassie
2 1/2 stars

A quaint story about a halfling (troll/elf in this case) named Little Fur who goes on an adventure to save her beloved Old Ones and other trees from the tree burners.

I think this book would be best for a young advanced reader or read aloud to a younger child (ages 6-10 perhaps). The story is told in such a way that I think would speak best to someone of a younger age. I enjoyed the characters and style of this story. It captures a pleasant image of another world within our own.

At the
Michelle Smith
I vacillated between the message being heavy-handed or beautifully told in allegory. Either way, it's a worthy message.
Alexandra Taylor
I'd say it needs more details but as a kids nook that wouldn't work. it just seemed to go really quickly :(
Hanna Smith
Dec 23, 2015 Hanna Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is nothing short of enchanting. It's a quick read and it's whimsical and happy.
Muphyn
Nov 04, 2008 Muphyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nah, no-one
Little Fur wants to save the trees, which are burned by bad humans. It is, however, only a pathetic attempt at a children's book dealing with environmentalism... Since I'm not altogether an "un-green" person, I thought I'd like this enviro-elf-troll called Little Fur (Ökoelf!). However, it is fairly boring and far too much airy fairy earth spirit for my liking - basically too new-agey for me.

I'm not sure that the journey Little Fur undertakes to save the trees/earth spirit appeals to children. B
Nicola
Oct 24, 2015 Nicola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful story! Little Fur is delightful. Looking forward to reading the rest....
Sorcha
Jul 09, 2015 Sorcha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The little fur books are beautiful and full of heart.
Missylou
Jan 05, 2010 Missylou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this book to my 3 children who are hooked on every word. Excellent book, thus far. A story starting off with 'The Secret of the Trees' is sure to grab my ecologically aware kiddo's. I also appreciate that the heroine is a feminine protector and healer that inspire my two girls and is respected by my son, who thinks 'cowboy, superhero, popeye' always saves the day. The main focus of this cute story is protecing 'earth magic' that is being destroyed by overdevelopment, highways, fires ...more
Stephanie
Overall a cute book I think would be a fun bedtime read to kids. Where this book struggles, though, is in defining an appropriate age group. The story contains a very youthful narrative but an overly advanced vocabulary. Words like tisanes (p. 5), languidly (p. 38), indignation (p. 64), and implacably (p. 70) are out of place in this elementary-aged fairy tale. Unless your 7-year-old often comments about the surreptitiousness of the cat, get ready to do a lot of defining while reading this aloud ...more
Joanna
Nov 30, 2015 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
cute.
Fantasy Nebula
I enjoyed this book and I also thought the way the creatures atom about humans is funny I was guessing what the meant most of fans time.
  • Destiny of the Light (Shadow Through Time, #1)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
  • The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #2)
  • Shalott (Shalott, #1)
  • Buckskin Bandit (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #8)
  • Withering-By-Sea
  • Blood Brothers (Dragon Keeper, #4)
  • The Wizard's Apprentice (The Keepers, #2)
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • The Museum of Mary Child
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • A Dream Come True (Magic Pony, #1)
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • Tamlyn (Silvermay, #2)
  • Iris and the Tiger
  • Cicada Summer
  • How Hedley Hopkins Did a Dare...
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy
More about Isobelle Carmody...

Little Fur (4 books)
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • A Mystery of Wolves (Little Fur, #3)
  • Riddle of Green (Little Fur, #4)