Start by marking “Little Fur: The Legend Begins (Little Fur)” as Want to Read:
Little Fur: The Legend Begins (Little Fur)

Little Fur: The Legend Begins (Little Fur #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Who is Little Fur? Why, she's a half elf, half troll, as tall as a three-year-old human child, with slanted green eyes, wild red hair that brambles about her pointed ears, and bare, broad, four-toed feet. Little Fur loves and tends to the Old Ones, the seven ancient trees that protect her home, a small, magical wilderness nestled magically in a park in the midst of a large ...more
Library Binding, 208 pages
Published October 24th 2006 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Little Fur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Fur

Author/Illustrator: Isobelle Carmody
First Published: 2005
Length: 195 pages

Some years ago at Adelaide Writer's Week the author gave a talk on writing and storytelling to some very young children and their parents. She spoke of the joys of wandering a city as large as New York and spinning fantastic tales to entertain herself and her little girl (also called Adelaide). Stories of dreams and fantasy, hope and love. Faith. Belief.

The stories of Little Fur.

A story of finding the wonder within a city.
Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
Little Fur lives in a small patch of wilderness, surrounded by places where humans live. She tends to injured animals and helps the Old Ones keep the Earth Magic flowing. One day she hears about a terrible threat from humans to trees near her home, and she leaves on a quest to seek wisdom of how to stop these humans from destroying the trees.

As much as I may identify as an Isobelle Carmody fan, I’ll admit I had never heard of the Little Fur series until fairly recently, when I found them by acci
Četlo se to dobře, bylo to milé, ilustrace byly boží. A přesto mi na tom nejvíc vadilo to, že se to (alespoň pro mě) tváří jako dost silná ekologická agitka. Chápu, že plno lidí to v tom neuvidí, ale úplně jsem viděl, jak z knihy čiší to přání, abych se zamyslel nad tím, jak žiju a co dělám spolu s dalšími přírodě.
Angela Oliver
A cute and quite charming adventure story about a little elf troll child who travels across a town to help save her trees from the "tree burners", with the help of some animal friends. It is a fairly simple story, without a great deal of tension, but the characterisation is splendid and the writing style eloquent and poetic. I imagine this would be a lovely story to read aloud.

I did wonder somewhat about the illustrations, however, which are done by the author. At the end of many chapters there
Eunice Biblioceraptor
I wanted so much to enjoy this because the cover was fury and it looked so pretty in hardback and because little elf trolls in the forest.

However, this novel was nothing like I expected. It tried too hard to teach children about protecting the environment, and sacrificed a plot for the sake of being the equivalent of an Environmentalist Bible-Thumper.

Like, it annoyed me so much that it made me want to set a forest on fire just to dance on the embers and laugh at the irony that trees were butcher
I picked this book up because it was beautiful, and finally read it after a few years of letting it beautify my shelf. It was a whimsical and sweet book with some sad and depressing elements... Like Wall-E, but with a little half-troll/half-elf creature instead of a robot, and set in modern times when things are being to deteriorate instead of the future when it's all gone to heck.

Likes: Well, it did remind me a bit of the Hobbit/LoTR. Little Fur is even referred to as a Halfling. Plus the very
I liked seeing the human world through the eyes of the smaller animals (describing the cars as "road beasts" that growled and snarled; because what else would someone who doesn't understand a car call it?) But the writing was a little too 'tell,' not enough 'show' for me, even though I'm well aware this is a children's book and may require more telling than I would expect in a YA/mature novel.

Also, it felt like the author was pounding me in the face with a hammer labelled "save the environment!"
An awful attempt to write an environmental awareness book for children. The main character, Little Fur, is a tiny elf. Her purpose in the story is to try to save the trees in an ancient forest. However, the author's personal and political agenda overshadows the story.
Isobelle Carmody is an excellent writer but this just isn't a very good book. A very formulaic quest book that didn't really have a a justifiable reason for our hero to set out on the quest, a good explanation for the antagonists motives, or a satisfying resolution. The sweet character of Little Fur, interesting language, and the book as mortality tale about caring for the environment were it's only redeeming qualities. I read this aloud to my seven year old daughter and she enjoyed puzzling our ...more
Brian James
This is one of those books that I was really torn about. On one hand, as an adult, I found it fascinating. I really enjoyed seeing our world through the eyes of Little Fur and her friends. To make the everyday world feel new and strange is a difficult task that Carmody was able to pull off. I also thought the mythical elements of the story were intriguing. I loved 'The Old Ones' and the idea of this innocent creature being their protector. Little Fur as a character is well-formed and the bravery ...more
For a kids book this wasn't bad. Quite eco-friendly. And by 'quite ' mean every page felt like it was trying to cram a "save the environment!"poster down my throat. It was waaayyy too heavy handed with its not so subtle message. And why are all humans portrayed as greedy earth-spirit-killing suckers? Okay maybe I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought. More like a 2.5 stars from me.
Little Fur is a half-elf/half-troll who lives in a forest. After hearing terrible news that people are burning trees, she goes on an adventure with her friend Crow and two cats to visit the Sett Owl for advice. The owl tells Little Fur she will have to go on a long journey to a deep crevice past a graveyard. There, she will discover how to save the trees.

This book was difficult for me to get into since it begins rather slowly. It wasn't until halfway through that I started to enjoy it a little
Listened to the audiobook version of this, and it was read by Isobelle Carmody herself! She did a great job, and I really enjoyed listening to the story read by her. Was a nice story, despite it being targeted at a younger audience.
This book started off with way too much exposition, but it is a beautiful concept for a story. The heroine goes on a quest with her friends to save trees from humans who are burning them. At times, the journey felt forced, like the characters were just being pushed through the motions of a journey. I got impatient in the middle of it because it just seemed like the characters were running into obstacle after obstacle just for the sake of having obstacles. Maybe it felt like that because there we ...more
Jade Dillon
This book is very exciting, very adventurist and makes you want to keep reading. It was very well written and very well illustrated. The story was very interesting and very adventurist.
The green message is a little heavy handed, but I enjoyed this adventure of an elf-troll and her cat, pony, and crow friends. Small children would enjoy this as a read aloud story,but skip the illustrations which are truly awful.
2 1/2 stars

A quaint story about a halfling (troll/elf in this case) named Little Fur who goes on an adventure to save her beloved Old Ones and other trees from the tree burners.

I think this book would be best for a young advanced reader or read aloud to a younger child (ages 6-10 perhaps). The story is told in such a way that I think would speak best to someone of a younger age. I enjoyed the characters and style of this story. It captures a pleasant image of another world within our own.

At the
Alexandra Taylor
I'd say it needs more details but as a kids nook that wouldn't work. it just seemed to go really quickly :(
Nov 04, 2008 Muphyn rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nah, no-one
Little Fur wants to save the trees, which are burned by bad humans. It is, however, only a pathetic attempt at a children's book dealing with environmentalism... Since I'm not altogether an "un-green" person, I thought I'd like this enviro-elf-troll called Little Fur (Ökoelf!). However, it is fairly boring and far too much airy fairy earth spirit for my liking - basically too new-agey for me.

I'm not sure that the journey Little Fur undertakes to save the trees/earth spirit appeals to children. B
What a wonderful story! Little Fur is delightful. Looking forward to reading the rest....
The little fur books are beautiful and full of heart.
I'm reading this book to my 3 children who are hooked on every word. Excellent book, thus far. A story starting off with 'The Secret of the Trees' is sure to grab my ecologically aware kiddo's. I also appreciate that the heroine is a feminine protector and healer that inspire my two girls and is respected by my son, who thinks 'cowboy, superhero, popeye' always saves the day. The main focus of this cute story is protecing 'earth magic' that is being destroyed by overdevelopment, highways, fires ...more
Overall a cute book I think would be a fun bedtime read to kids. Where this book struggles, though, is in defining an appropriate age group. The story contains a very youthful narrative but an overly advanced vocabulary. Words like tisanes (p. 5), languidly (p. 38), indignation (p. 64), and implacably (p. 70) are out of place in this elementary-aged fairy tale. Unless your 7-year-old often comments about the surreptitiousness of the cat, get ready to do a lot of defining while reading this aloud ...more
Fantasy Nebula
I enjoyed this book and I also thought the way the creatures atom about humans is funny I was guessing what the meant most of fans time.
Abbey Chong
A few years ago I picked up this book at a garage sale thinking that from the cover it would be really interesting...but no. This book started off extremely slowly, and I have no idea why I couldn't finish it, but it just bored me to death. I have to admit, some of the illustrations were pretty cute, but I usually remember the entire plot of books that I really enjoy. This one? Not so much. Maybe younger children between the ages of 8-11 would enjoy this more than me...
Sarah Tilatitsky
I only read this so I can keep my mom happy that she didn't run to the library for nothing. This book sucks if you are a 13-year-old. Not so for 10 years old. Well, my mom thinks that I'm still a baby. I mean, I'm graduating junior high, and I'm getting 10 year old books. I WANT AN AUDULT BOOK. i CAN READ THEM! Sigh. This books is great for story time, but not for me. So, read it if you're 10 or younger or if you read it to someone who's 10 or younger
selah says "i loved little fur. the book was wonderful. the book has lots of exciting parts in it. i loved the book."

jody says "i enjoyed the first one, although it is written in a way that is annoying and difficult to read out loud. on one hand i adored the story, and then i realized it was veeeeery negative toward the way we all live (by necessity). humans and cars and buildings aren't ALL bad (are they??)..."
Oct 09, 2008 Selina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: younger children
Recommended to Selina by: Diane Westerberg
This book was picked by Katie to read at before bed, and it proved to be a fun, adventful read. I enjoy books that give animals and plant life human characteristics and I believe for children it is sometimes the best way to learn empathy, and compassion. I would have liked a bit more substance, but for a children's night time read it was wonderful - Katie read it twice!
Amylu Weas
I read this with my 10 year old. It's lovely story of the heroine little fur who is a bridge and ambassador between worlds, the innocent dwellers of natural forestation and the journey she must make to the cold ones in the lighted cities. Truly a sweet story about the dystopia of life out of balance with nature.
My first audiobook! Perhaps I am a little spoiled because it was read by Isobelle Carmody herself.

She does the voices so well, encapsulating each character. I can't imagine anyone else doing it. At times, you can't recognise it's Isobelle speaking! A fun experience.
  • The Silver Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #2)
  • Withering-By-Sea
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • Destiny of the Light (Shadow through Time, #1)
  • The Wizard's Scepter (The Keepers, #3)
  • Friendly Foal (Winnie The Horse Gentler, #7)
  • Blood Brothers (Dragon Keeper, #4)
  • Shalott (Shalott, #1)
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • The Shadow Thief (The Strangest Adventures, #1)
  • The Museum of Mary Child
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • The Ghost's Child
  • Secrets Of the Scepter (Unicorns Of Balinor, #6)
  • The Red King
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy
More about Isobelle Carmody...

Little Fur (4 books)
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • A Mystery of Wolves (Little Fur, #3)
  • Riddle of Green (Little Fur, #4)