Start by marking “The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)

The Christmas Cookie Killer (Fresh-Baked Mystery #3)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  67 reviews
It's Christmastime in Weatherford, Texas, and retired teacher-cum-amateur sleuth Phyllis Newsom is looking forward to finishing up what has been one unlucky year. But she won't be hanging up her apron quite yet, because this year's Christmas bake-off is going to be cutthroat.

Phyllis would like to think she's just entering the Christmas cookie contest for fun. But that's no
Published September 30th 2008 by NAL Trade (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Cookie Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Cookie Killer

Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha ChristieThe Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha ChristieCupcakes, Paws, and Bad Santa Claus by Pamela DuMondI Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan BradleyThe Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers
Christmas Mysteries
18th out of 235 books — 88 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellDying For Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson
Mysteries in Good Taste!
87th out of 283 books — 244 voters

More lists with this book...

Mamathorne
I felt like I was sentenced and forced to watch an endless marathon of Murder She Wrote! I finally released myself for good behavior and tossed it. Sorry fans of MSW. I give this book a .1523 for effort. I dropped my rule of 50 pages or less (Needs to grab my attention in 50p) hopping this little cookie would get tastier, rather it fell flat. Knock on wood, but if my kids put me in a home and I am left by pimply face attendant at a window looking over a parking lot to drool in my lap. I will ask ...more
☺Trish
Hologram Mary mentioned The Golden Girls in her review below and I couldn't agree more. Phyllis is like Dorothy (the main character - a strong, opinionated, and somewhat pushy busybody), Carolyn is similar to Rose (a tad judgmental and a bit of a dim bulb), and Eve is like Blanche (always on the lookout for a new man).
The mystery kept me guessing and I was surprised at who ended up being the culprit. The Christmas Cookie Killer was a really quick and enjoyable read. The recipes at the end of th
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a very good book. The victim never got to eat her cookies and this drew me into the book like a magnet. The mystery was well constructed and as usual, the sleuth and her partners were up to their usual standards.

I did not sense the culprit and there was a twist at the ending. I am enjoying the progression of the characters and am looking forward to trying out the recipes. This is a 'keep' book.
Carol Ann Hoyt
This is well written for a "cookbook" novel. However, do not make the cookies from this book. My book club made all of them expecting to share with each other in our December meeting. The cookies were not worth sharing..in fact some of them were actually bad.
Luffy Monkey D.
I felt a lot of good things about this book. None of them new things, but that's not a complaint, but it defines the experiences of a fan of cozy mysteries and defines the element of the genre. For once, I'd not like to focus on ratings, and I'd rather say that The Freshly Baked Mystery series are up to my taste. The writing is slightly pedantic and dry, but there's some character progression for some. The writer took great care to describe Sam. He does not walk, he ambles. He doesn't speak, bu ...more
Cherie
It's Christmastime, and in Weatherford, Texas, it means that the neighborly cookie exchange is in full swing. Yet the cookie crumbles when retired teacher, Phyllis Newsom, delivers some cookies to her elderly neighbor, Mrs. Simmons. Shortly after the cookies are delivered, Mrs. Simmons is murdered, and Phyllis is knocked unconscious. The amateur sleuth finds a hard case to solve and more about her neighbors than she cares to know in this cozy mystery.

Livia J. Washburn's The Christmas Cookie Kill
T.L.
I realize cozy mysteries are just that...cozy, without a lot to them in some ways.
But this one...I didn't get past page 57. 57!
I read Washburn's first book in this series, A Peach of a Murder and really liked it. I live in Fort Worth and I've been to Weatherford several times, so the regional appeal was certainly there.
I thought the peach thing was a great tie-in as Parker County, where Weatherford is located, is known for their peaches. The mystery was interesting and the main character, Phylli
Lindsay
The word I used most while reading this was Fluffy. Because even though its a mystery and a little old lady gets strangled with the belt of her bathroom, everyone just seemed a bit to friendly. Even when the author was trying to make someone seem mean, it just didn't really feel that way.
This is the 3rd book in the series, but I'm tired of the heat and liked the cover. It's warm and friendly, despite the headless gingerbread man.
Phyllis and her friends are having a Christmas cookie exchange wh
Loraine
SUMMARY: Phyllis Newsom stands a good chance in the Christmas cookie contest with her snowflake-shaped lime sugar cookies. But Mrs. Simmons? gingerdoodles might give her a run for her money?until she?s found strangled in a pile of cookies. With many on Santa?s naughty suspect list, this case is a cookie Phyllis means to crumble?

REVIEW: This was a new-to-me cozy mystery author. I liked the distinctive personalities of each of the characters in the story. Retired teacher, Phyllis, was definitely a
Jenne
This time the murder is close to home (literally). The story line was good, but something seemed to be missing in my opinion. The characters are still likable though Phyllis seems more pushy then usual. While her love for her son is evident, it became too much for me when always never wanted him to get to involved in a murder case (it was it job profession after all, what did she expect?). I was taken aback at who the murderer was and after finishing the book and thinking it over, I couldn't put ...more
Hologram Mary
Awww, I found this book in the dollar bin at the bookstore last year and purchased it because I am agonizingly festive and a murder mystery fan (and, hey, it was a dollar). The title sounded so corny I just had to buy it to read during Christmas time. It was so fuddy duddy, I could only equate it to watching The Golden Girls, but you know what? It's Christmas time again and I really miss it! I've been thinking about it a lot lately because it was just so sweet and simple... even though it was ab ...more
Susan
Retired Texas schoolteacher Phyllis Newsom and her housemates, especially widowed Sam, become involved in murder again when Phyllis brings a plate of cookies to her elderly neighbor and, returning a bit later, finds the woman murdered. What's worse--at least according to Sam and to Phyllis's Deputy Sheriff son--is that the murderer knocks Phyllis out. As the police investigation proceeds, the neighbor's grandson is arrested. Phyllis doesn't know the young man well, but her teacher intuition tell ...more
Susie
Would have been a fun read if it hadn't been so "war on Christmas"y.
Beth Peninger
Livia J Washburn's murder mystery series are enjoyable reads. This one is based around a love of mine - baked goods. I love me some baking! And I love that she includes recipes for the yummy treats the mysteries are usually based around. In this particular book the victim's cookie caught my eye and I wrote it down, fully expecting it will catch my tatste buds as well! :)
Good, pleasant read.
Abby2
Oct 13, 2008 Abby2 rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Abby2 by: mom
I recently read this book and I read it in one night. It was very slow paced and needed a lot of editing to get rid of the boring and unecessary parts. In one part of the book it repeated almost word for word what was said in the beginning of the book...This is one of the worst mystery books I have every read...But I do like that it has the recipes that the character used in the back of the book.
Naomi
This wasn't as bad as what I thought it was going to be! I needed to read this for a challenge and since I am not a huge fan of cozy mysteries, I went into this one with one eye closed and with some trepidation. The book kept me entertained though and I ended up reading it in a day. I am thrilled because I was also able to grab 2 cookie recipes to add to my holiday tray gifts!!
Katherine
A fun and fast read a la Miss Marple and Murder. She Wrote. Retired teacher whose son is a deputy sheriff gets involved in murder in a small Texas town. She is a widow with whom two other retired teachers and a widower live. Their domestic relationships and the competition between the heroine and one of her boarders in cooking competitions adds to the fun.
Janice
My sister gave this to me for Christmas because I love to read Christmas mysteries. This one was even more special because it included recipes, some of which I am going to try and is about a retired teacher. I enjoyed this story and will check out the first ones in the series. I figured out who "dunnit" so read it and see if you can.
Julie Derby
This was the first in this series that I read (although I believe it's the third or fourth book in the series). I enjoyed getting to know Phyllis, the main character, and Sam who helps her solve the cases. I look forward to their relationship developing as they continue to solve mysteries and bake yummy things in future books.
Amanda
During the annual Christmas Cookie Exchange, the unthinkable happens & Phyllis stumbles right into another murder- quite literally. One never knows what secrets your neighbors have and hide until something happens in your neighborhood. Multiple twists & turns- startling revelations. Continue with the wonderful characters.
Daniele
I can't put my finger on why, but I didn't enjoy this installment as much as the others I have read. Some of the dialogue did not ting true, and I guessed whodunit very early on. I am a fan of culinary cozies but found myself skipping over the passages about cooking...they seemed too tedious and like they were filler.
Kate
Another great book in this series! There's lots of different things going on in this book that will put your in the Christmas spirit- from the characters driving around to look at Christmas lights, to snow and holiday cooking. The ending made me excited to read the next book in the series- the perfect holiday read!
Connie Easlick
This one hit very close to Phyllis' home, right next door in fact! Phyllis learns a lot about her neighbors in this one and she really can't believe it all. You'll never believe who the killer really is!! I'm not telling, just read it. Oh, and you get a very good Christmas gift at the end, or rather Phyllis does! :D
Tonya
This was quick read, but the plot was predictible, and I knew who the killer was early on. I didn't like that there were so many references to earlier books with no explainations. I did however, like that they included recipes. Entertaining if you are not looking for a challenge.
Kim
Mar 31, 2011 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I think Washburn finally found her stride a little more in this one. There was more action and a little more intrigue with this one, yet still beating the horse lame with "if the main character enters a food contest, some one dies" thing. Who is she,the Jessica Fletcher of the food set?
Natalie
Penguin Sale 2010

I didn't expect a lot and that's good. The characters were ok, the plot was ok... Not overly gripping or anything. It didn't suck, but I'm not all excited about it. I doubt I'll bother reading the other Fresh-Baked Mysteries.
ChrisGA
Good mystery with enough red herrings to keep the reader guessing. When her neighbor is killed, Phyllis investigates and finds lots of secrets in behind closed doors of her seemingly-upright neighbors and the victim herself is not what she had seemed.
Arbkdbarb
Certainly not my cup of tea. Predictable, fluffy and way too sweet (not just the cookies). It reminded me of a bad episode of Murder She Wrote, and I never really thought that any of them were good. Surprisingly I finished it, but am wondering why.
Grey853
You've heard of brain candy, this is filled with brain cookies, lots of sweet fluffy stuff for a cozy mystery reader. I don't normally like overly sweet cozies, but I was in the mood for something light and not overly taxing.

No heavy lifting involved.
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Holiday Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #8)
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
  • When the Cookie Crumbles (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #3)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • A Wee Christmas Homicide (A Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #3)
  • The Diva Takes the Cake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #2)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (A Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1) Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2) The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5) Killer Crab Cakes (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #4) The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)