Start by marking “More Like Not Running Away” as Want to Read:
More Like Not Running Away

More Like Not Running Away

Levi Revel is a boy in danger of losing his family and maybe his mind. He’s in awe of his father, Everest, a majestic dreamer, a master builder, a man with a violent, secret past. As the family moves from state to state, Levi hears solace in the voice of God, a voice that sends him preaching from treetops and roofs.

But the family begins to fall apart, and as Levi enters ad
Published December 1st 2005 by Sarabande Books

To ask other readers questions about More Like Not Running Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Like Not Running Away

Oct 30, 2009 Bennett rated it liked it
The initial impression was that this would be a long version of Faulkner's "Barn Burning", but after the first 30 pages, Shepherd seemed to find his own stride and the narrator Levi begins to develop into a real character. Mr. Shepherd's phrasing is taught and somewhat stylized without ever feeling hurried or put-on, leaving a quasi-biblical aftertaste, like a McCarthy-infused aperitif.
Despite a few incongruities of characterization here and there, my only real complaint with this otherwise exc
May 27, 2016 Sonder rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
I thought the writing was overall good, and the very realistic and detailed portrayal of people as dynamic elements was very good. That being said, the story was sort of hard for me to get through. It took a lot of energy for me to keep reading. There were points where I would put the book down for days and just not read in between. I never had any trouble stopping or walking away from it when I was under time constraints, which is not a good sign. In the end, I decided to just not finish the bo ...more
Feb 26, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
This is a sleeper of a novel... one of those books that pulls you into the story to the point that reading becomes like living beside the characters. The development of the story was natural and climactic.
Sarah Moon
Nov 16, 2009 Sarah Moon rated it liked it
I found this book a little slow to draw me in, but once it did I found the disfunction of the family to be real and very lifelike. The main character was a bit confusing to understand what was really going on with him, but he was lovable just the same.
Billy Dunn
Feb 21, 2012 Billy Dunn rated it liked it
The book copy i had was only like 248 pages but it was an okay book. A good family story with a lot of struggle and confusion. I would only give it a three star because it seemed a little to mature for me. Its a lot about family and the struggle between a boy and his dad.
Jun 24, 2008 Lynn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
From the flap, this book promised me tales of spiritual depth... instead I got an average book that felt to me like a young adult novel. Not a terrible book, but it definitely let me down.
Jul 25, 2009 Nura rated it it was ok
sometimes we had to choose, to run away or stay and face the problem. I amazed with Levi's persistence believe in his father.
Lisa rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2011
Friedy rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Lydia rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2008
Kester rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2007
Bruce Davies
Bruce Davies rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Joshua Helms
Joshua Helms rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2009
J. Whitley
J. Whitley rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Rosemary Peek
Rosemary Peek rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Kate rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2007
Julianna rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2008
Mikaela rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2008
Justinlohr rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Lana Hasper
Nov 27, 2009 Lana Hasper rated it liked it
Joyce rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Mj rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Stephen Dardani
Stephen Dardani rated it liked it
May 17, 2011
Jason rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
PfromJ rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Jorie W
Jorie W rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Chad Davis
Chad Davis rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2011
Ashley Jefferson
Ashley Jefferson rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2011