Start by marking “Eine unglaubliche Entdeckung” as Want to Read:
Eine unglaubliche Entdeckung

Eine unglaubliche Entdeckung (The Spiderwick Chronicles #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  47,650 Ratings  ·  2,239 Reviews
Ein altes, verfallenes Haus einer ungeliebten Tante –- das ist das neue Zuhause der Zwillinge Jared und Simon, ihrer Schwester Mallory und ihrer Mutter. Jared ist überhaupt nicht scharf darauf, dort zu wohnen. Aber Jareds Eltern sind geschieden, und sie können nirgendwo anders unterkommen. Doch das Haus von Tante Lucinda birgt viele Geheimnisse, wie die Kinder schnell fest ...more
Published August 31st 2004 by cbj (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Eine unglaubliche Entdeckung, please sign up.

Danielle Swift I am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a…moreI am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a pair of students who have read all the way to book 4 so far. The plot isn't scary and is full of lots of magic that they enjoy. Both boys and girls seem to enjoy the series equally. (less)

Patrick
Aug 24, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading these books for the second time. But it's been years since I picked them up, and it's the first time I'm reading them with my son. And both of those things make a huge difference to my experience.

First, and perhaps most importantly, my little boy likes them. He's about five an a half, which is younger than the target age for these books, but he's into them.

(In the interest of full disclosure, Oot isn't the most critical of readers at this point in his life. He pretty much likes all
Bangadybangz
Mar 14, 2016 Bangadybangz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun little book! Short and sweet, quirky and magical, loved it! I've always been a fan of anything to do with fairies and folklore, so I'm definitely pumped to delve more into this exciting world!
Rachel
Mar 24, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything about the packaging and promotion of this book is delightful...the title, the mysterious notes obscuring the back cover synopses, the inclusion of a letter from the three children protagonists to the author. All of that is very nice, but after reading the first installment, I can't help but feel a little robbed.

First of all, and forgive me for this, I can't help comparing the books to a more cleverly written and altogether smarter series, Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Eve
Becky
Just your typical 'move into an old creepy house, weird stuff starts happening, one of the kids gets blamed, and then they find a book that explains the existence of fairies/faeries/fey which solves their problems... while at the same time causing many more problems'.

Happens every day.

Also, I'm no expert in the sport of fencing, but I'm pretty sure that they don't call the weapon a sword, and someone who is serious about fencing, as Mallory apparently is, would know that.

I think that this boo
Taylor Knight

I read the Spiderwick Chronicles back when I was quite young, maybe eight or nine. My sister and I read the crap out these books (we must have read them 15 times, no joke) and I've been wanting to revist this series and the wonderful fantasy world that Holly and Tony created for awhile now but I've finally gotten around to it.

The writing partnership of Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi is remarkable and this series is by far some of the most well written literature that I've ever read.

The three ma
P.Z.
Aug 08, 2015 P.Z. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
เดียวนีกลายเปนคนชอบอานหนังสือเดกทีมีภาพประกอบไปแลว สำหรับสไปเดอรวิกนีเคยดูหนังเมือหลายปีกอน ชอบนะ พอมาอานแลวรูสึกวาหนังสือนีเลาเรืองแบบกระชับมาก ไมยืดเยือ ภาพประกอบกสวย ใหอารมณลึกลับนาติดตาม ติดแคตรงเนือเรืองเลมแรกสันมาก เปนการปูพืนไปเลมตอๆไป แตอานแลวติดใจจนตองหยิบเลมตอขึนมาอานทันที

(view spoiler)
Gretchen
As I said in an earlier comment, I love the size and feel of this small book. That may sound an odd comment, but I am a book lover of the real deal books, not electronic ones. I love books you can hold in your hands, feel and smell the paper, books you can caress. It's just such a lovely size; I could hold it in one hand whilst I read. Even the fonts captured me. This is the sort of book that I would have cherished as a young girl, collecting all of the series and placing them in a special spot ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Fairies are DANGEROUS. And they don't want you to know about them. I love that this book takes the question of fairies and brownies and pixies seriously, it gives this story its power. I love the setting: the rambling old house out in the country, the secret room, the shadowy feeling that something is watching...
And I love the format of this series, with the uneven edges to the pages, the small size of the books. They just feel cool.
This is the first book of the series, and it starts off strong
Brooke
Aug 05, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This had everything a children's book should have: imagination. This was really great!
Cait • A Page With A View
I might be out of the target age range for this series just a wee bit buuuuut better late than never.
Dec 15, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lemony Snicket Fans
Shelves: ya, 2005, fantasy, adventure
The First book in a series of Five.

The story is about the Grace Children: Mallory who is 13 and the 9 year-old twins Jared and Simon. When their father leaves the family, mom and the kids move into the Spiderwick estate - a large crumbling mansion that they inherited from their “crazy” Aunt. The house is big enough for Mallory to practice her fencing, Simon to keep his stray animals he loves and for Jared to ....well... mostly just be pissed off. He isn’t handling the whole abandonment thing re
Courtney
Aug 30, 2015 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I don't plan to go into great detail about the storyline, because I'm a firm believer that a story can only be truly reviewed by a person's impression of the story. I think it would be a waste of time to go over the plot again...that's what the title page of the book is for.

This was such a great start to what I can imagine will be a very strange and chaotic adventure for Jared, Simon, and Mallory! Short, simple, and to the point, I cannot wait to dive into the rest of the books. I feel it will n
Christina
Stefan Yates
May 03, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-room
I wasn't too sure what I was getting into when I started this book and I must say that I was much more than pleasantly surprised. The story centers on a mother and her three children, a set of twins and their older sister, who have just moved into the old dilapidated house that has been in the family for years. Very soon after moving in, strange occurrences begin to happen and the children dedicate themselves to solving the mystery.

This is a well written introduction to the series and the style
Pepper
Mar 25, 2008 Pepper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first chapter book I have started to read with my six year old son. He truly enjoys the story and with the help of the descriptions the authors give, he is learning to "imagine" the story in his head. The beautiful illustrations scattered throughout the book help to keep him interested as well. My eight year old nephew also loves reading this series on his own.
I feel it is a wonderful story. The first book sets the stage and gives lots of background information. The length of the boo
Heidi Elmore
Sep 24, 2007 Heidi Elmore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and fanciful people :)
I love this book. It is a childrens book and I read it in one day, but it was a great escape. I have a feeling the other ones in this series will be good as well.

Something to look for in the book: between some of the paragraphs there are little black figures of different fairies and they create an optical illusion - as you read and concentrate on one line, when you switch to another line, or look around the room or whatnot, it looks like there are little farie outlines. This had to have been in
Reddish
Mar 24, 2016 Reddish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-pov
Debo decir, sin vergüenza alguna, que soy muy fan de la película Las Crónicas de Spiderwick. Es por eso mismo que he decidido leer los libros. De momento la cosa me está gustando bastante. Las ilustraciones le dan un toque fantástico a la historia. Ya explicaré qué me ha parecido la saga en general en el último tomo, puesto a que son bastante cortitos, y no creo que tarde mucho en leerlos todos.
Karen Syed
Mar 10, 2008 Karen Syed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves fantasy
Recommended to Karen by: Amazon.com
Shelves: kids
Since the book is very short I truly expected to find the typical kid's fantasy, I was disappointed. I mean it is a kid's fantasy, but it is so much more. Take a few words, sprinkle in some charm, and add numerous awesome illustrations and you have an excellent book. Getting to know the Grace kids in "The Spiderwick Chronicles" is going to be so much more than an adventure.

If I had to pick one element of "The Field Guide" I don't think I could. The kids are kids, with problems and personalities
Raoofa Ibrahim
Jan 24, 2016 Raoofa Ibrahim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A family moved to a new house .. 2 twin brothers,their sister,and their mom will have to adjust in this new life.
when they finished lugging their suitcases, A little adventure will begin. they will find a dumbwaiter and of course they will try to see where it leads and thats when the story will begin.

Note: If you like Harry potter you'll enjoy this book, it mentions boggart, pixies and brownies(elf that does housework secretly).
Christian
Todo comienza cuando los tres hermanos Mallory, Simon y Jared Grace se mudan junto con su madre recién divorciada a la vieja mansión de su tia abuela Lucinda. Al llegar todos los problemas recaen en Jared, de personalidad aventurera y problemático, culpándolo de todos los desastres producidos, sin saber que realmente son causados por seres de un mundo fantástico.

Es un cuento corto que hace méritos al género. Sin entrar en complicaciones, propone un contexto familiar de los protagonistas para, de
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
The Book started and the book ended.

A very little book I would say, and for very ignorant audience, the story ends before it could start! Almost nothing happen in the book and that made me sad.

The story is about three siblings and how they discovered the magic/faeries in their world. But even the discovery itself was too insignificant!

Many things happened too simply, and felt like that a few things were on writers mind and she didn't explain. Perhaps more of explanations and detailed story li
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
This was . . . okay.

Nothing really interesting happened other than the Grace kids being mischieviously pranked on and scuttling around finding this boggart.

I've watched the movie so I could guess what comes next. So yeah, The Field Guide didn't awe me as much (The movie was altered a bit but that was to be expected) Too bad, but I do like the illustrations, the little poems in the book (which weren't shown in the movie, and I think its pretty clever) and the atmospheric details I can recognize a
Jess
Aug 31, 2008 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids looking for a fun set of chapter books
Recommended to Jess by: fantasy class reading
Along with their recently divorced and broke mom, twins Jared (9) and Simon and sister Mallory (13) move into a decrepit Victorian house that holds all sorts of mysteries and creatures.

Fun, good characters, and excellent illustrations.

I glanced at some of the comments here and plenty of people seem to be finding fault with the fact that the book is short. Well, it's a chapter book; it ought to be short. I'm not a fan of books whose endings are little more than a set up for the next book (it's ch
Brianna
Jan 16, 2016 Brianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite series when I was younger, I read all of these books so many times. I remember reenacting these book with my friends at recess in elementary school :))
Justine
Feb 12, 2015 Justine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Un peu rapide, mais un premier tome qui m'a bien plu ^^
Libby N
Mar 28, 2016 Libby N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jared Grace is a 12 year old boy with a twin brother and older sister, Simon and Malory. After there parents got a divorce, the three of them and there mom moved into an old rickety house that used to belong to there great aunt Lucinda who is now in a nursing home. When crazy things started happening to them, like Malory getting her hair tied to her bed and the kitchen getting trashed, they all blamed Jared since he has been getting into fights at school. One day Jared had suspicions on where th ...more
Barbara
Nov 11, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did a series review of the Spiderwick Chronicles on my blog. Check it out if you're interested. =)

Kevin Cambronero
¿Qué puedo decir de este libro? Es tan corto...
Yo creo que juntando los cinco libros de la saga se haría un libro con una extensión un poco más aceptable.

La verdad es que casi no recuerdo nada del libro. Lo que sí recuerdo es que ganas de seguir con la saga no me dieron.
Amelia Jacobson
Apr 06, 2016 Amelia Jacobson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mysterious and magical.
Why did they never make a sequel to the movie? 10 65 Jun 20, 2014 12:36PM
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • The Charm Bracelet (Fairy Realm, #1)
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)
  • The Unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm, #2)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • My Haunted House (Araminta Spookie, #1)
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • The Snow Spider (Snow Spider Trilogy, #1)
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
Holly Black is a best-selling author of contemporary fantasy novels for kids, teens, and adults. She is the author of the Modern Faerie Tale series (Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside), The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), and The Good Neighbors graphic novels (with Ted Naifeh) The Poison Eaters and Other Stories, a collection of short fiction, and The Curse Worker series (White Cat, Red Gl ...more
More about Holly Black...

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)