Start by marking “Casalinghitudine ” as Want to Read:
Casalinghitudine

Casalinghitudine

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Qualcuno ha detto che noi siamo quello che mangiamo, e di fatto il cibo segna imperiosamente con la sua presenza i riti e le stagioni, le continuità e le svolte, le seduzioni e le liti tra la tentazione del superfluo e il richiamo delle vecchie radici sepolte.Per raccontare la propria storia personale, ma anche e soprattutto la storia di una famiglia affatto speciale e di ...more
Published 1987 by Einaudi

To ask other readers questions about Casalinghitudine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casalinghitudine

Joan
The title of this book in the original Italian is "Casalinghitudine", a word for which there is no English equivalent. It combines "casalinga", homemaker, with the noun ending also found in "abitudine" (habit), "solitudine" (solitude) and "negritudine" (negritude). It could perhaps be described as the embracing with pride, and from a feminist standpoint, of those things that are perceived as constituting "keeping house".

Cooking and food, for Sereni, represent a form of caring. The recipes here a
Astrid Virili
Anche se diverso da come mi aspettavo, questo libro mi è piaciuto molto. La parola casalinghitudine mi faceva venire in mente idee di casa e famiglia molto più tradizionali, mentre Clara Sereni riesce a raccontarla quasi come una conquista, che parte da una situazione familiare e personale complicata, che intreccia amicizie e parentele, politica e famiglia con la preparazione del cibo visto come segno di attenzione verso chi le sta vicino. Mi sembra significativo al proposito questo stralcio di ...more
Denice
Apr 15, 2008 Denice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My dad
Following along in my obsession with memoirs in recipe, I add this to my list of good reads. Clara is a feminist revolutionary, working for womens rights and the commies in Italy in the 60's. Though her recipes are mostly frugal she comes from a well to do Jewish family. Most of her recipes can be recreated for under five bucks. Here are at least four ways to use canned tuna in oil..
Linda
Nice story told in chapters titled after sections of a cookbook (appetizer, dessert, etc.). The main character (I think it is autobigraphical) is an Italian Jew (in Rome) who’s famiy is, if I remember correctly, politicaly active. The story hops around a lot, but I still enjoyed it. The recipes don’t always correspond to the particular story she is telling. Oh, there is also a good overview of Italian history.
Sofya Dolinko
I started this book months ago for a class and the I was fascinated by how each recipe has a significant for author.
It was not an easy read though. These are random stories from authors life and each of them is somehow connected to food. By the end I was disappointed as I felt like none of the stories were finished, there was no closure.
I will however try recipes
Andre
An interesting memoir interspersed with juicy recipes. The Italian original flows very smoothly, carefully relating episodes and recipes. Not a literary masterpiece, but certainly a heartfelt book.
VAle
preso in biblioteca

Stralci di memorie sparse, intervallate da ricette legate ai vari momenti della vita dell'autrice.
Decisamente non il mio genere.
Katlyn
Katlyn marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Val
Val added it
Oct 09, 2014
Narumon
Narumon marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Violet
Violet added it
Dec 07, 2012
Born 1946, she's an Italian writer.
More about Clara Sereni...
Il gioco dei regni Il lupo mercante Le Merendanze Manicomio primavera Passami il sale