Start by marking “Wild Pilgrimage: A Novel in Woodcuts” as Want to Read:
Wild Pilgrimage: A Novel in Woodcuts

Wild Pilgrimage: A Novel in Woodcuts

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The first novel in woodcuts to be published in America, Ward's magnificent achievement burns with a rich, highly emotional style. Through startling engravings shaded in black and red, he wordlessly tells the story of a man trapped in an industrial world, struggling between the grim reality around him and the fantasies his imagination creates.
Published April 4th 2008 by Dover Publications (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Pilgrimage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Pilgrimage

Chris Miller
Some great artwork here. This story was easier to understand than some of Lynd Ward's other wordless novels, but I feel like I didn't connect much with what I understood.

The protagonist has an odd upper lip that I thought at first was a mustache; I later read that it was Ward's intention to make the protagonist physically ugly. I feel like this doesn't come across because the character is also young and strong--his face just seems poorly illustrated.

I really liked the alternating colors of the
SmarterLilac
Really loved this. Intriguing, if a bit inscrutable in parts. The shocker on page 43 is impressive, if, well, shocking. Especially for a member of my generation, not used to discussing that part of our history.

I take issue with only one thing, the comment in the back jacket blurb which declares this work as being about, 'a unique individual working, and aspiring to dream in an overwhelming mass society.' I...think there's more to it than that, even if I can't quite tell you what it is.

liza
ok, the art is great as with anything ward did. the story on this one didn't grab me as hard as god's man and vertigo, but maybe that's my own fault.
George Walker
I have the original edition but this is a good choice for a reading copy.
Trey Veazey
Trey Veazey marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Adélia Barros
Adélia Barros marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Meredith Smith
Meredith Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
A
A marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Sweetnothing
Sweetnothing marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Kaye
Kaye marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Crystal Beaman
Crystal Beaman marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Biggest Bear Gods' Man Six Novels in Woodcuts Madman's Drum: A Novel in Woodcuts Vertigo