Start by marking “Black Out!: Animals That Live in the Dark (All Aboard Science Reader: Station Stop 2)” as Want to Read:

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Did you know that the luna moth only flutters around at night--or that is has a wingspan as wide as a bowl of soup? This reader is packed with interesting facts about all the creepy animals that we never get to see during the daytime, like the barn owl, the blind cave fish, and the vampire squid.
Published July 3rd 2008 by Penguin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Black Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Out!

Sherry Thornberry
This book is all about nocturnal animals from fish to mammals. Its kind of spooky but very informative and has a lot of vocabulary explained in laymens terms. I think the pictures add to the spookyness of the book. They are well done. I like this book. It contained information about animals I didnt even know existed. But some were unnerving.
Sophia
I liked learning about all of the different animals. My favorite were the Oarfish and the Tripod fish. The Tripod fish was pretty. I also liked the prairie dogs, especially when they smooched!
Earl
So many interesting facts! Basically, each two-page spread focuses on one nocturnal creature. I'm sure kids will be intrigued to read more about some of the animals they encounter!
Matthew Mealer
I personally enjoyed reading this so I know my students will. Black Out is a book about animals that are nocturnal or live in complete darkness. I was taken away by some of the animals I had never heard of before! Especially the Honeypot Ants! Great self read for second and third grade. Boys will love it!
Kelly Whelchel
Science Grade 5 Non-fiction

Use this book to talk about where different animals live. Use this book in a book report for the students. Have each child master a special animal and report to the class about that animal.
Jessica P.
Beginning Chapter Book format. young children would enjoy hearing this read aloud and older children can use it for basic information on any of the various animals. AR: 3.5, 0.5pts
Dara
This book taught me that honey ant's queen does not move. They collect drinks from flowers too, like bees. At the end is an owl face and the book says Hoo! Hoo!
Tameka
Tameka marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 01, 2015
Jameca Edwards
Jameca Edwards marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Lynn Ayers
Lynn Ayers marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Sumeer Gill
Sumeer Gill is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Kady Zoucha
Kady Zoucha marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Tara
Tara added it
Oct 07, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Annylysse Cojocaru
Annylysse Cojocaru marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Shilpa Neduri
Shilpa Neduri marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Johnknoxpreschool
Johnknoxpreschool marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Ginjer L. Clarke writes fun, fact-filled nonfiction beginning readers about weird, wonderful animals. Her love for strange creatures started early, as the first story she remembers writing in the third grade was “The Strange Animal” about a small, pink-spotted imaginary creature called a Woofa. She loves that her job entails visiting zoos and aquariums, reading lots of books, and even watching TV ...more
More about Ginjer L. Clarke...
Gross Out! (All Aboard Science Reader: Station Stop 2) Freak Out!: Animals Beyond Your Wildest Imagination (All Aboard Science Reader: Station Stop 2) Platypus! Cheetah Cubs (All Aboard Science Reader: Station Stop 2) Fake Out!: Animals That Play Tricks (All Aboard Science Reader: Station Stop 2)