Start by marking “If You Believe” as Want to Read:
If You Believe

If You Believe

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,506 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
In a dazzling career spanning a dozen acclaimed novels, Kristin Hannah has distinguished herself as an amazingly sensitive writer who can tap into the deepest, most precious mysteries of the heart. If You Believe is one of her finest books--a timeless tale of two lonely people who witness the miracle of second chances.

Mariah Throckmorton was hiding from a past filled with
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published April 27th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published December 4th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about If You Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Believe

Bark's Book Nonsense
Oct 27, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
If you haven't read Kristen Hannah's IF YOU BELIEVE you are missing out on one of the best character driven, emotionally wrenching stories the genre has to offer.

Mad Dog Stone is a fighter who works odd jobs in between matches. He never stays in one place long enough to form any kind of emotional attachment and has broken many a heart along the way. His life is about to change when he answers an add for free room and board in exchange for a little work at the Throckmorton apple orchard. How har
Beccalarge
Mar 25, 2011 Beccalarge rated it did not like it
It's a good thing this wasn't the first Kristin Hannah novel I read, because it would have for sure been the last. One of her first novels, written when I presume she was trying to be a Harlequin romance novelist. Seriously, it was hard for me to believe this was the same author who wrote "Winter Garden" and "Firefly Lane". Not only did it read like a dime store romance novel...the lonely spinster with a broken heart who vows never to love again and the handsome drifter who refuses to settle in ...more
Melissa Norton
Sep 09, 2009 Melissa Norton rated it really liked it
Reminiscent of LaVyrle Spencer's early works, If You Believe is a lovely and emotional historical romance from Kristin Hannah, perhaps better known now for her excellent contemporary novels (Firefly Lane, etc). She has always had a deft hand with creating realistic, likable and complex narratives, whatever the setting.
In 1890s Washington State, drifter/boxer/frustrated writer "Mad Dog" Stone hires on as a handyman to the Throckmorton household/orchard, comprised of a lonely widower and his agor
Karen & Gerard
This is an historical novel about love. Three lonely people find each other, Mariah, Mad Dog, and Jake. Although very predictable, I enjoyed this book because of the issues Mariah and Mad Dog both had. Jake following his dad hoping for a happy reunion was heartwarming. Rass, Mariah’s father, was my favorite character because of his concern for his daughter and his kindness toward Mad Dog and Jake. He kept seeking to improve his relationship with his daughter and help her let go of the past so sh ...more
Shireen Hakani
3.5 Stars.

First half is too slow and takes forever to pick up. Second half is good. Glad didn't put it down.
Kryptique
Apr 23, 2012 Kryptique rated it liked it
Ehhh so so. Hannah's earlier books in her own words are not as good or gripping as later ones. The later ones make me cry and hold my attention raptly, the earlier ones leave me debating whether I should finish the book as they are more formulaic, predictable, and somehow shallower emotionally. It's neat to see her growth as a writer though!
Nancy
Jul 28, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
Come on, how do you get intimate whispering "Mad Dog"??? I liked the book but the name kept throwing my off, even in normal conversion.
JoBeth Davis
If you picked this book up intending it to be your first Kristin Hannah book...put it down and back away. Now. I can honestly say I was a little disappointed with this book after reading so many of her others. I know this was an early attempt and in her own author's notes it stated that she had trouble writing this one, and it shows. This story lacks the heart of Hannah's other works. It felt more like a romance novel than historical fiction. I couldn't place the characters in the time in which ...more
Karen
Dec 30, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok
Ok. Not as good as many of her other books.
Marie
Apr 25, 2011 Marie rated it liked it
Tonya
Apr 05, 2010 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-reads
This book was so different from what I have come to expect from Kristin Hannah. What a love story -- I wasn't sure about it for a long time. You have a drifter, Mad Dog, who goes from town to town, just working to get enough money and then be with many different women but he loves his boxing too.

However that changes when he meets Rass and his daughter Mariah. Mariah on the other hand hasn't left the farm in many years, her heart being broken by another man who just up and left her.

Mariah builds
Angie Outland
Jun 17, 2013 Angie Outland rated it really liked it
This is a very good book. While reading it, I laughed, cried, and celebrated with Mariah as she learned to deal with the tragedies in her life. If You Believe, is a love story between two unlikely people. Mad Dog is a loner who drifts from town to town gambling, drinking and sleeping with women. He has no intentions of settling down or giving up his freedom...until he wonders into an apple orchard. Mariah is a heart broken woman who, after several tragedies, has decided to live her life without ...more
Judith
Aug 11, 2014 Judith rated it liked it
I have always liked the books of Kristin Hannah. If You Believe was only OK. It was a usual love story and the reader could easily figure out the ending. I always enjoyed reading her books. I thought her characterization was outstanding. Not so with this book. This was one of her older ones. I think her more recent ones are much better.
Bridget Gilbert
Yeah, I got this book at a dollar store when Rob's sandal broke in Sandusky last summer and we desperately had to find him new flip flops. It was a 50-cent book and I can see why! Corny. the essence of the story could have been good. It was just so predictable and drawn-out in all the wrong ways. Finished it super quick, though! :)
Carol Bodnarchuk
Interesting story about a woman tied for years to a safe place after suffering a tragedy when she was 16. So glad Kristin Hannah progressed as a writer in 1993 to create her more recent novels such as Winter Garden, Firefly Lane, Summer Island, to name a few. I will certainly pursue her other books.
Kathy
Oct 04, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it
Another interesting but guilty and pretty unbelievable read by Kristin Hannah. The time frame alone is just too incredible to believe. But I read the whole thing. The story was interesting but that it all happened between the beginning of fall and Christmas is just too much.
Johanna
Jun 12, 2015 Johanna rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
It seemed to drag and various explanations seemed repetitive. I've read practically everything Hannah has written and this has been one of my least favorite novels.
Pam
May 07, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
It was a bit steamy, no it was really steamy, but I loved the characters, so real and relatable, and the German cooking was a bonus for me with my background.
Lettie Cox
If I didn't know better I'd have thought this book was written by Danielle Steele instead of Kristin Hannah. It reads like a typical romance novel.
Maureen
Jan 11, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing
A refreshing storyline. I couldn't wait to see what happened but was a bit sad it ended. If you like historical romance, I recommend this book.
Samantha Ovitt
Aug 12, 2014 Samantha Ovitt rated it really liked it
Kristin Hannah is becoming one of my favorite authors. This was truly an enjoyable read!
Michelle
Jan 20, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok
Just couldn't warm to the characters . But I love all her other books .
Jenny
Dec 27, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
I liked this book, but not one of my favorites from this author.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Mar 18, 2014 Carla Johnson-Hicks rated it really liked it
A good family drama and romance rolled into one. Some sad parts, some happy, but lots of emotion.
Amanda
Jul 11, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Wasn't my favorite of her books. But still enjoyable.
Jayne Burnett
Mar 27, 2015 Jayne Burnett rated it liked it
Good read - loved all the characters in this book. Had read previously though.
Donna
Apr 28, 2014 Joelle rated it really liked it
Quick fluff read ...
Sandra
Feb 04, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
I love everyone of Kristan Hannah's early books.
Sabrina
Nov 13, 2014 Sabrina rated it liked it
A little slow for me, but still a good story.
  • With Love
  • The Passions of Emma
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Wild at Heart
  • The Lightkeeper
  • Sunshine and Shadow
  • Blackwood's Woman (The Protectors, #6) (Silhouette Intimate Moments #707)
  • Fire and Rain
  • The Summer I Dared
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • The Summer House
  • The Surfing Lesson
  • Bond of Blood
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Anywhere You Are
  • Summer Light
Kristin Hannah is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-one novels, including the blockbuster Firefly Lane and #1 bestsellers Night Road and Home Front. She is a former lawyer turned writer and is the mother of one son. She lives in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii with her husband.
More about Kristin Hannah...

“Goddamn, sometimes it hurt to be free.” 24 likes