Start by marking “The Trouble with Paris: Following Jesus in a World of Plastic Promises” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Paris: Following Jesus in a World of Plastic Promises

The Trouble with Paris: Following Jesus in a World of Plastic Promises

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  9 reviews
What if you're living in the wrong reality?Doesn't everyone want the good life these days? Our shopping mall world offers us a never-ending array of pleasures to explore. Consumerism promises us a vision of heaven on earth-a reality that's "hyper"-real. We've all experienced hyperreality: a candy so 'grape-ey' it doesn't taste like grapes any more; a model's photo so manip ...more
Published June 3rd 2008 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Paris

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
385th out of 1,444 books — 6,833 voters

More lists with this book...

Sep 05, 2013 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kimberly by: Kristel Yamat
Shelves: inspirational
This book is an eye-opener. I learned a lot by reading it.
I knew how the advertisers work because I am a Marketing graduate, but what I found out in this book surprised me.

We really live in a world where a person's ability/achievement is more important than his character.

Mark Sayers provided a refreshing view on how we can maintain our hold of God's reality while battling with the culture of hyperreality.

Everyone should read this book; especially the young adults.
When you're done, you'll have a
Gregory Rothbard
Mark Sayer’s book The Trouble with Paris examines the way Modern Consumerism has been exalted to the “New Religion”. Sayers shows that corporate America has erected plastic Idols that manipulate consumers to always want more, and more, and even more of that plastic stuff. “Human beings are used and discarded like Styrofoam boxes that held junk food.”*
When we worship made things instead of our LORD we are left with a hyper-reality. This hyper-reality is a vacuum that leaves worshipers empty. “Re
Jessica Weleski
If I could tell people to put one book on their summer reading list, this book would be it. Seriously, you can look for the bargain edition on Amazon for $6 right now. Sayers discusses the way that our airbrushed, social media obsessed culture has pulled us into great tension. On the one hand, we know we live in an imperfect reality, but on the other hand, we desperately want to edit our lives for perfection, assuming that the mundane and even the awful events of life are not moments to live thr ...more
Trinity Laurel
Fantastic book. I gleaned so much from this book about the concept of hyperconsumerism and how it affects my emotional and spiritual well-being. I highly recommend it!
Walt Walkowski
Wow. Really, really good book. I'm surprised I did not hear about it... I basically stumbled upon it and was truly impressed by what this guy had to say. The only reason it does not get 5 stars is because it does get a little bogged down in the middle. But I think Sayers is on to something that more people should be thinking and talking about. Highly, highly recommend this one.
Jul 28, 2008 Rick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rick by: its publisher
Really enjoyed this book. the author, Mark Sayers, writes with a refreshing voice. His analysis of current culture is crisp, and his analysis of the current state of affairs in the church is thought provoking. I found nuggets in every chapter.
As with a lot of Christian lit, book brings up a couple of good points and puts a name to real life issues but still generalizes too much to be applicable, IMO.
a great book for those who work with young people on a day-to-day basis and live from a Christian spirit
Paul Newnham
This is a great book and I am half way through really enjoying
Nena marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Josh Solar
Josh Solar marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Susan Pursell
Susan Pursell marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Steventaylormorton marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Chet is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
AnnMarie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Justin marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Noel marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Andrew Roberts
Andrew Roberts marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014